Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Registered
2,587 Posts
Cool idea if you have a wide enough flat spot for it. Seems like half the time I have tipping problems with those its because the seat comes off the tank though.

You still have the lower capacity and it being prone to making a mess if peoples aim is off a little too.

Evidently there is only one in the world so far... but someone made a rocket box style one with a "pee funnel" setup that evidently works for everyone...

Font Screenshot Document Parallel Publication

Automotive tire Water Helmet Asphalt Automotive lighting

· Registered
5,203 Posts
Johnny Partner, the best of the best in my opinion. Everyone has groover envy when they groove on a Jonny Partner.. Pricey, but then everything is these days. If not the JP, DEFINIETLY not the "eco safe" nightmare groover from hell. It's cheap, that's about the only thing it has going for it.

· Registered
189 Posts
+1 for Selway. The other good thing about the Selway is that a standard 5 gallon bucket fits inside. Match that up with a gamma lid, and you have a spare tank at a fraction of the cost. For emergency purposes only, but if you your math is telling you you've got 65 user days and only capacity for 60....

· Registered
108 Posts
Haven't used the JP, but own and am very happy with my Selway. The only part that holds on to smell in that system in my experience is the gasket, and it isn't bad at all. Extremely easy to clean out, and a fraction of the price of a JP.

· Registered
27 Posts
I have rented groovers if that is an option. The rental price includes disposal and cleanup of the groover. A lot of times worth it.. I can usually handle my own shit, but sometimes have a hard time with others! :cool: I do own a Restop wag bag setup. It is nice to have bags dumpster ready when you get done with your trip. I know they aren't always an approved method. I think if I had a bigger group I would just have a dedicated bucket with gamma lid for used bags. One Wag bag can take on more than 1 turd normally.

· Registered
6,248 Posts
Crazy idea. Hear me out:

how about a stainless steel groover. Locking gasketed lid, available in 3, 5, and 8 gallon sizes. You could have JP functionality at a $100 price point...just add a seat with a lip/groove on the bottom so it doesn’t slip off. HandlesslreStainless won’t streak or retain odor, no nooks and crannies inside that don’t clean. As wide as it is tall so not tippy.

Scrap the condenser on top, plug the thermostat hole, add a pressure relief in the other hole.

and if someone pees in the groover you can boil it off! (Just kidding about that part but had to say it before someone else did!!)

· Registered
6,248 Posts
Shit I didn’t know you could buy a still!! I wanna try and make vodka lol! As far as that’s concerned a ps is just a fabricated rectangle . Could ask a fabricator about that too? But 89 bucks….
PS are expensive for what they do (compared to a 20mm can) but a fair price for how they’re built and the time into them

· Registered
15 Posts
Per SDG River Gear's instagram, I believe their groover kit/system should be hitting the market in early 2023. They've been prototyping it for the past couple years. Looks like it plays nice with SCAT machines and will also be available with an RV dump attachment.

- Sheik

· Registered
6,248 Posts
Per SDG River Gear's instagram, I believe their groover kit/system should be hitting the market in early 2023. They've been prototyping it for the past couple years. Looks like it plays nice with SCAT machines and will also be available with an RV dump attachment.

- Sheik
that looks super cool.

Edit: Definitely a direct competitor to the JP, but clearly a big upgrade to the ol' 20mm box and the same form factor. Sounds like they're aiming at the lower price point ($200?) of the Ecosafe...I'd definitely buy one for that.
Water Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape Bottle

· Registered
9 Posts
Bracing myself for ridicule, but I would to interested in views on why the rig we have used for years is bad. 5-gallon bucket with gamma seal lid and soft foam seat. Very cheap. Very light. Easy to clean. No problem with aim. Long trip? Bring another bucket.
Let the ridicule flow!

· Registered
1,798 Posts
If they allow it , why not? My only real complaint with Grover’s is I just don’t like seeing in there. Yeah I know , don’t look but it’s just a thing. So a bucket would be a little grosser to me than a store bought but save you a lot of money. I allways gotta laugh when I hear about the kayak guys pooping in a pvc tube and packing it in there lol. Young guys can do anything lol

· My name isn't Will
719 Posts
Bracing myself for ridicule, but I would to interested in views on why the rig we have used for years is bad. 5-gallon bucket with gamma seal lid and soft foam seat. Very cheap. Very light. Easy to clean. No problem with aim. Long trip? Bring another bucket.
Let the ridicule flow!
I have used a Gama Seal bucket on the Rogue since it's approved. It has pros and cons. I only used it for a two-person one-boat trip. Otherwise I take a rocket box if I'm in charge of bringing the Groover.

• It is lighter than a rocket box.
  • It is taller than a rocket box - more comfortable seating position for most.
  • A five gallon bucket holds 20% less than a rocket box.
  • A plastic bucket can break.
  • Round things don't pack as well as square things.
  • The handle can break. I have replaced handles with 5mm cord (a bit of tygon tubing for carrying comfort) and have had the holes in the bucket break instead of the handle.

For self support, the Kayaker Poop Tube works fine. Unless it's really raining in which case you need to be faster. If your towel (or coffee filter) gets soaked, it loses strength which makes it harder to roll into a burrito and get safely into the tube. If it's nice weather out, you can leave your "business" out in the sun for a little while to evaporate off some of the moisture before making the burrito. I suppose if you're squeamish, you're going to have trouble with ANY kind of poop management system.

Story a friend told us on a Grand trip: Church lady asked, "So, you pack everything out?" Bets answered, "Yes." Church lady said, "EVERYTHING?!?!?" Yep. Church lady asks, "And everyone uses the same box?" Oh yeah. Somehow that seemed gross to church lady, but I bet everyone in church uses the same toilets that are in the restrooms. She told this story as she was taking a picture of our shit box to show church lady. I offered to pose. I still love that picture....

· Registered
183 Posts
my pvc tube always leaked juices. when the wind is just right i can still smell it. no matter where i am. coyote groover all day.

i never thought to lay it down on a paper towel, always used wag bags and dropped them in the pvc, which as you know, still leaked...

· Registered
102 Posts
Any of you groover experts use a Coyote from 4 Corners Riversports? Price looks good, smaller size is nice for a smaller boat, looks easy enough to clean-out...what do the buzzards say?
Love my Coyote. Relatively cheap, durable (no issues through three years of use), easy to use. I throw a couple cups of Feline Pine in at the start of the trip to minimize odor, dispose of turds at an RV dump on the way home, then sanitize before next use. Dreamy.

· Registered
281 Posts

- Sheik
I have seen their firebox used on the river, and personally used their tables. They definitely make solid gear. If this groover is half as good as it looks and in the $200 range, I'll own one. Have an old school ecosafe, but mostly have been using Cleanwaste wag bag system that my buddy has.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts