Mountain Buzz banner

Groover tank quantity

3K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  wils_25 
#1 ·
How many eco safe tanks for 12 people on a 7 day trip?
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks

#5 ·
The book answer is two tanks. Each tank holds 50 person days of poop, 12 people times 7 days is 84. Two tanks will be fine. The first day is not really a full use day in most cases. If you get tight on room you can shake the tank down as quiggle suggested. There is also a recent thread about bagging the TP and keeping it out of the tank, which will give you more room. I am not recommending that but it is a fall back for the last day or two if the second tank is filling up.

#11 ·
7 ppl/4 nights we just made 28 deposits. There was room for another day and perhaps a few more. I won’t rate the eco safe for more than 40 uses before things get sketchy. You just might make it with two for the 84 uses you have but it will require a little management to make it work well.

#13 ·
poop * person * day.

Ecosafe = 45 uses * Day.

=1.87 ~2

#17 ·
Wow I didn’t realize that boating was Rocket Box Science. 😂
When I worked for the Park Service, my boss Mark Law wanted to verify the capacity of various groover systems. Some company had a stainless steel liner like the Eco Safe but no wasted space on top. I was on 10 day Snout trip with 5 total. I got all our 💩 in that box after tromping the la la but the archeologists we’re not happy.
50 user days in a rocket box is possible but freaks some people out.

#15 ·
EcoSafe claims to be 50 user-days, if I remember correctly. I've heard a rocket box is ~70 user-days. Happy to hear about other capacities, if not only for reference. I have 3 Eco-tanks, so if it were me I'd bring one for every two nights on the river. If you're just going out for a week, you can have the luxury of not filling groovers to the brim, especially with 12 people.

#22 ·
I've done a 5 day trip with 10 people on one tank. I'd guess 2 would be fine. Just tell them to be conservative with TP usage.

Reactions: MT4Runner
#26 ·
I say 40 days for eco safes. Cutting it close is a crap shoot, pun intended. If you have a couple mummy handers or piss in the groover folks you can be up shits creek in a hurry. Always bring an extra box if its even remotely close. If the eco safes are in rocket boxes you can always pull the liner and shit straight in the box if it comes to that and space is that big of a concern. Not fun to rig a full eco safe with no box but you gotta do what you gotta do.

#27 ·
I'd second the folks above that said put a 'safety margin' into the ecosafe capacity, I'd consider it more like 40 than 50 uses (unless theres a lot of kids on the trip). Also, if you throw a couple quarts of river water into it once its full and you're ready to close it up for good, it will be become a much more 'flow-able' slurry by the time you get to the RV station to pump--a lot less like to have issues with the out hose getting occasionally clogged by toilet paper wads and by 'gifts' from your dehdrated buddy with an overly healthy appetite who has the tendency to drop dry, hard 5 pounders into the bucket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.