Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching a lot of van conversion videos on Youtube and lots of folks are using a composting toilet and it got me thinking about my river toilet. Seems like you could use coconut coir or peat moss in the groover to have a cheap and natural solution to reducing smell. Am I way off base or is this something that would work? Seems like that is basically what the "Selway Solution" is that Cascade sells. FYI - this isn't something I would run in a SCAT machine, just use an RV hose and dump after the trip.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Why not just regular softwood sawdust?

I recall someone in a groover discussion on here saying they used sawdust in the groover and compost their own solids.

Not unlike the composting toilet at the Indian Creek guard station on the MF Salmon.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not sure of what, or if, there is any advantage in composting a groover on a river trip. Normally we try to keep the volume down, not add more stuff. Not going to compost much in 1-3 weeks anyway

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure of what, or if, there is any advantage in composting a groover on a river trip. Normally we try to keep the volume down, not add more stuff. Not going to compost much in 1-3 weeks anyway
I'm not really interested in composting the "deposits" but seems like using a bit of peat moss would be a good way to reduce the smell using something organic rather than using like RV chemicals. Just sprinkle a bit on each time you use the groover. I've found the selway solution to be very effective, but it is kinda pricey and seems like you could use peat moss in the same fashion.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
You're not actually composting it (initially) but you would be dessicating it to reduce the smell.

And also compatible with later composting efforts.

I think the previous poster said they use 15-25% sawdust in the empty groover. After your "deposit", shake it around like kitty litter to cover up the poo.
Seems that separate disposal of and/or burning TP would also be necessary?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've been watching a lot of van conversion videos on Youtube and lots of folks are using a composting toilet and it got me thinking about my river toilet. Seems like you could use coconut coir or peat moss in the groover to have a cheap and natural solution to reducing smell. Am I way off base or is this something that would work? Seems like that is basically what the "Selway Solution" is that Cascade sells. FYI - this isn't something I would run in a SCAT machine, just use an RV hose and dump after the trip.
River rafters and RV'ers both have to carry their shit around. Peat moss loves shit( nourishment to it), so it breaks it down(digest the shit) and eliminating the lovely odors. Organic vs chemical's in dealing with poop smells and to turn poop into a liquid form for easy disposal. Staying at an RV sight and camping at a river camp, the conversations around the fire are the same to me, about equipment( makes, model's, size, length's, stoves, toilets, food, UFO's, Big Foot, etc.) All great people. I have heard about the peat moss too. Try the peat moss and give us an up date.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Kitty litter and every dump give it a shake

Reactions: HitMcG

·
Registered
112 Posts
Something else to consider... I don't personally know a lot about the issue but there are strong environmental arguments against using peat moss. These include the sustainability of the bogs where it's harvested, damage to wetlands, and increased carbon emissions. Apparently the peat traps a large amount of carbon which is released when harvested. I like the idea of less smelly groovers but if it were me I'd research some of the alternatives to peat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Save your money and the environment and use saw dust. All you are doing is balancing the carbon/nitrogen ratio to eliminate smell. Actual composing takes more time than a river trip. Given the right conditions poop breaks down easily and turns to compost.

There's a book about it for a lot more details. The Humanure Handbook. Composting works and it's better than using potable water to float turds, treat with chemicals and then put back into the streams and rivers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
And then there's those black poop eating Beatles. A small handful of them in a groover could work wonders. I've seen them completely devour a large dog dropping in one night.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
270 Posts
We are always looking for ways to help control the smell, so we appreciate this thread. Does adding sawdust have any negative effects when it comes time to do the cleanout?

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I don't know that municipal waste systems would appreciate quantities of sawdust in their sewage coming in. while it breaks down easily in a compost pile, I don't know if digesters would break down the cellulose the same way?
May not be a great idea in a SCAT machine.

But if you compost or have an old-school outhouse or a manure pile or can legally bury it on your own property, yeah!

Conversely; if you sprinkle some on like you would bleach/chlorine crystals, I'd argue that a similar quantity of sawdust would be no worse and probably better for sewage system chemistry than a mass of bleach.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont know what this thread is all about. I actually sort of enjoy the groover smell. Come on... who doesnt like opening that lid on a cool morning and getting a glimpse of the fruits of the river? Cant imagine that experience without the waft of groover freshness. What kind of river trip woudl that be? And then there's the funk after the trip. That lovely reminder when you go near your gear in the off season of those cool mornings... its the gift that keeps on giving... sort of like the Jelly of the Month Club. Now dont you be getting too attached to my groover Clark... We'll be takin it with us when we leave here next month.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just did a trip last week with a small group where volume wasn't going to be an issue. We had a pop up fire pit along with us, too. I dumped the fine white powder ash into the groover because, why not? It seemed to smell a lot less than trips in the past. Could be a factor of cooler temps, but the ash could have worked as a desiccant, too.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
That's a GREAT idea! You win the internet today!

That ash is both a dessicant, and what charcoal is there is an odor-absorber.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing how adding these potential coagulents/volume enhancers impacts effluent flow when it comes time to empty the container.

Rich Phillips

1 - 17 of 17 Posts