Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

Premium Member
That isn't helpful LOL... If someone hasn't used my system before, I always give a "tutorial" so to speak, hopefully that would negate the possibility of a sandy seal ...

Premium Member
For Number One, this is fun:

Premium Member
An empty Selway sure feels lighter than an empty Jonny Partner.
Not so according to their site. Perhaps the old design with the 5 gallon bucket was lighter, but the new one with the "vault" isn't. Another reason for the partner is it has tie downs via the handles, the selway IIRC doesn't, so easier to rig.

Registered
That isn't helpful LOL... If someone hasn't used my system before, I always give a "tutorial" so to speak, hopefully that would negate the possibility of a sandy seal ...
Trip leader, not a rafter but a kayaker. Well meaning. I was groover guy, but had one on my boat, one on another boat, and he got the other one before I could get to it. I let it go and didn't let it ruin my trip.

I'd spend 10 minutes with TP wiping sand off the grease in exhange for that trip invite again. haha.

Registered
Did you have those decals cut? I'd love to buy a couple!!

To me the ultimate would be a elongated bowl coyote, say 7 gallons. Oh that鈥檚 right, it doesn鈥檛 exist.
I like everything on the Coyote except for the inside lip that tends to collect poo.

A 7gal Coyote with an 8" instead of 6" lid would almost do the trick.

wood ammo cans
Would you post up a pic of those again? I need to make one.

I don't love my EcoSafe, but it's a great size for 2-3 days with 5-8 people.

Registered
I like everything on the Coyote except for the inside lip that tends to collect poo.

A 7gal Coyote with an 8" instead of 6" lid would almost do the trick.
Interesting. I've used the Coyote for more than a year and haven't noticed any poo-gathering inside lips. Admittedly, after 20 years of digging cat holes while backpacking, my directional turd game is pretty strong.

Registered
But the Coyote is fantastic for daily use, easy to rig, easy to set up, the screw lid keeps flies out, and the seat is comfy and multi-directional (face your favorite view).

The cleanout on the edge is a good design...almost as easy to empty as an Ecosafe..it's just that inner lip.
Hmm!! how about a Coyote-style seat on an Ecosafe?!

Registered
But the Coyote is fantastic for daily use, easy to rig, easy to set up, the screw lid keeps flies out, and the seat is comfy and multi-directional (face your favorite view).

The cleanout on the edge is a good design...almost as easy to empty as an Ecosafe..it's just that inner lip.
Hmm!! how about a Coyote-style seat on an Ecosafe?!
That's what drew me to the Coyote in the end... the seat design. It does take a little practice to figure out what to do with your man-goods while seated, but once you get that down it's easy like Sunday morning.

The perceived need to incorporate something that looks like a home toilet seat ends up being the weak link in the design of most groovers. I've always figured it was a psychological thing, a crutch for people who are skeeved out about crapping in a box next to a river to begin with.

Premium Member

Registered
I ALWAYS holler "Dibs!" when the group is looking for a Groover Duty volunteer! For the whole length of the trip.
As Grooverman: (Ya-aa-ay! I won!)
1. I get to choose the site ... Throw down my tent, keep walking beyond "camp" and pick a john with a view! Always!
2. It only takes a few minutes to set up/take down the groover-shelter and wash/disinfection systems.
3. Nobody wants Groover-man to cook, filter water or wash dishes. [Howls of "I feel insulted!"]
4. I'm a bit anal about aseptic technique. Everybody listens up to the rules, and this keeps people healthy for the trip.

Think a-head. Bring some flowers to leave by the doorway the first night. After that, light reading material.
Hang a notebook & pencil by the door. And a Harbor Freight flashlight, with fresh batteries.
TP, Always! (Unless you have snow available ...)
Nobody else wants that duty, so try to get good at it. Unless you're on a trip with me. In which case, "DIBS!"

Premium Member
The perceived need to incorporate something that looks like a home toilet seat ends up being the weak link in the design of most groovers. I've always figured it was a psychological thing, a crutch for people who are skeeved out about crapping in a box next to a river to begin with.
your post brings me memories of the first groover I ever had, 50 cal rocket box with 2 pieces of 2 inch sch 40 PVC pipe with lengthwise slits cut in them to lessen the "groove".. Then we got really fancy with a rectangular wooden seat that fit over the box, IIRC we used trash compactor bags back then. Went from that to likely the cheapest ill designed groover system called the "Scat Packer" which was a nightmare to rig, and clean.

Right back to a rocket box, but this time with a molded fiberglass seat, and that served me for years, built a riser like the GC outfitters use which made it a little higher, and nicer to sit on, and allowed one to fill the box to the brim. Finally, the Jonny partner...

One thing I do miss, had a nice little groover, which of course they don't make any more, called the "Magic Groover", perfect for small overnight trips, a breeze to use, easy to clean and stored easily. Gave it to a friend that had just started boating, he flipped in Warm Springs on a solo trip and lost the entire dry box it was in.. Busted both cheap polypro straps that was holding it into the boat..

21 - 40 of 58 Posts