Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had aluminum boxes made to hold their ECO-SafeToilet System groover? A long while back I bought these powdered coated ammo cans - they're awful heavy - now I'm looking at all the ways I can save weight for an 'all in' new rig. I'm older...and also realize aluminum has a price premium. Thanks Darryl

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'm sure there are any number of places that could fab one up for ya. It will definitely save you a ton on weight. Those ammo cans weigh like 20lbs each dry and empty. BGillespie on here makes dryboxes for people. There are a couple different guys in the Arkansas Valley I could recommend too. Plenty of options across the country for that too.

By the time you do that though...the combined price of the ecosafe plus the aluminum box is getting close enough where the Johnny Partner or a Selway toilet come into the same price range and both of those options are MUCH nicer to use then a Ecosafe setup.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
EM is spot on, I bought the johnny partner and would never consider buying another system again. SO many things you used to put up with in using the other systems that you don't with the Johnny Partner...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah, like skid marks. Absolutely gonna happen with the eco safe. Refresh my memory guys, Jonny partner is the giant aluminum one made by partner steel and the selway is the big plastic unit right?

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Yeah, like skid marks. Absolutely gonna happen with the eco safe. Refresh my memory guys, Jonny partner is the giant aluminum one made by partner steel and the selway is the big plastic unit right?
Among other things. I really hate how a man's, well dangling parts for lack of a better PC term, hang on the "ramp" of the seat, which is always cold for some reason, and right where a gal dribbles. I could go on about things I dislike about the design, but some folks put up with it due to the cost of some other systems. As EM is so fond of saying, "Buy once, Cry once".

The Partner Steel offering is called the Johnny Partner and is constructed out of .125 aluminum. IMHO it's simply the finest most durable system available, and one MAJOR bonus is you can have your favorite sewn goods company make you a fly bonnet, basically a cover large enough to go over the seat, sorta like a womans shower cap, that will keep the flies out of the groover when not in use. Huge bonus is keeping flies out of the groover, as they may eventually end up on the food in the kitchen. It's a true pleasure to sit on as well, VERY stable compared to a rocket box system and almost impossible to soil, making groover duty so much easier and dare I say, pleasant. Not to mention it's relatively light when empty and holds a tad more droppings than the other offerings.

Jon-ny Partner Toilet is the link. Not cheap, but a lifetime purchase..

The Selway is an inprovement on the old "River Bank" toilet, which used to use a 5 gallon bucket inside with a improved latching system for the lid. Now it seems they are rotomolding the inside container which they are calling a vault, way spendier than the initial 5 gallon bucket. Still a good system, better than the rocket box systems out there, and again, a LOT lighter

My 2¢, YMMV

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been thinking about doing that, and also developing a new seat for it. The seat assembly is the biggest flaw with that toilet.

Not only because of poor user ergonomics, but also because it requires two ammo cans to lug around. It is super impracticle for small trips and small boats. I do like its tank concept though, and if some one came up with a more ergonomic more compact design it would be great.

If I had to choose between the Selway River Bank or the Jonny Partner, I would definitely go with the Selway. The Jonny is way too big and heavy, and the clean out system is inferior to the Selway IMO. The Selway system is way more comfortable to use and easier to stow and it is bomber tough.

Plus, putting the liquid enzime in the jonny system produces a stench that would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon from 100 yards away. Its absolutely disgusting.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Plus with the Selway if you drop the lid when you are done you don’t need a groover empty flag as the thump is loud enough to echo across the river.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I can’t imagine how much a full Selway weighs. To me it’s the Caddie of groovers although full it’s gotta be a two man crew.

·
SarahofTheWaves
394 Posts
Has anyone had aluminum boxes made to hold their ECO-SafeToilet System groover? A long while back I bought these powdered coated ammo cans - they're awful heavy - now I'm looking at all the ways I can save weight for an 'all in' new rig. I'm older...and also realize aluminum has a price premium. Thanks Darryl
View attachment 61895

I admire your "wood block" outhouse/groover print.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
I think my ecosafe is 50#, but but I have my ecosafe tank and seat in home made plywood rocket boxes that I doubt weigh 5#

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
I've been thinking about doing that, and also developing a new seat for it. The seat assembly is the biggest flaw with that toilet.

Not only because of poor user ergonomics, but also because it requires two ammo cans to lug around. It is super impracticle for small trips and small boats. I do like its tank concept though, and if some one came up with a more ergonomic more compact design it would be great.

If I had to choose between the Selway River Bank or the Jonny Partner, I would definitely go with the Selway. The Jonny is way too big and heavy, and the clean out system is inferior to the Selway IMO. The Selway system is way more comfortable to use and easier to stow and it is bomber tough.

Plus, putting the liquid enzime in the jonny system produces a stench that would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon from 100 yards away. Its absolutely disgusting.
Ummm, not to rain on your parade, but the Selway actually is just a tad heavier than the JPartner, 3 pounds heavier as a matter of fact, and the longest dimension of 19 inches is bigger than the 17 inches of the J Partner

From the respective websites:

The Johnny Partner tank, lid and collar clamp weight is 22 pounds. This product is approximately 12 inches wide, 17 inches long, and 16 inches tall without the seat in place. With the seat it measures a comfortable 18 inches tall.

The selway is
  • Weight 25lbs
  • Dimensions 15x15x19in
Have no idea what "Enzyme" you use, but it must react someway with the aluminum. For years, I've just dumped a packet of "Campachem RV tank Deodorant" in my groovers and never had a problem. Have tried many of the commercially available things like "Groover Tamer" and other solutions such as Chlorox II, powdered bleach and firepan ash, the campachem works the best for me.

I can't see what you can possibly have against the Partner cleanout system, it's very hard to beat, never come in contact with anything, the spray nozzle in the cleanout funnel gets every last bit of poo out every time, and it's easy to use. just hook it up, put it on it's side, wait a couple minutes then turn it upside down, all slides down the tube, let it sit there another couple minutes, unhook and it's sparkling clean. All that being said, it's expensive, but you'll kick yourself for not getting one years ago once you own one.

My 2¢, YMMV

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy Sweet Jeepers Creepers.. Just looked at the deluxe stainless steel Johnnny Dumper.
There must be a place that rents something that pricey.
I'm a "groove rookie". Been to a lot of places with a lot of different Lou set ups..
Carrying and managing for success and hygiene seems like a battle.
We have 14 of us headed from Mineral Bottom on the Green through Cataract Canyon.. 8 days.
This seems like a topic that deserves some more research.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Among other things. I really hate how a man's, well dangling parts for lack of a better PC term, hang on the "ramp" of the seat, which is always cold for some reason, and right where a gal dribbles. I could go on about things I dislike about the design, but some folks put up with it due to the cost of some other systems. As EM is so fond of saying, "Buy once, Cry once".

The Partner Steel offering is called the Johnny Partner and is constructed out of .125 aluminum. IMHO it's simply the finest most durable system available, and one MAJOR bonus is you can have your favorite sewn goods company make you a fly bonnet, basically a cover large enough to go over the seat, sorta like a womans shower cap, that will keep the flies out of the groover when not in use. Huge bonus is keeping flies out of the groover, as they may eventually end up on the food in the kitchen. It's a true pleasure to sit on as well, VERY stable compared to a rocket box system and almost impossible to soil, making groover duty so much easier and dare I say, pleasant. Not to mention it's relatively light when empty and holds a tad more droppings than the other offerings.

Jon-ny Partner Toilet is the link. Not cheap, but a lifetime purchase..

The Selway is an inprovement on the old "River Bank" toilet, which used to use a 5 gallon bucket inside with a improved latching system for the lid. Now it seems they are rotomolding the inside container which they are calling a vault, way spendier than the initial 5 gallon bucket. Still a good system, better than the rocket box systems out there, and again, a LOT lighter
MAJOR bonus is you can have your favorite sewn goods company make you a fly bonnet, basically a cover large enough to go over the seat, sorta like a womans shower cap, that will keep the flies out of the groover when not in use. Huge bonus is keeping flies out of the groover, as they may eventually end up on the food in the kitchen.

This is my solution to the Jonny Partner fly problem. I reworked the seat, adding a better hinge and use a plant pot base to seal the opening. Just remember to remove before use! I have had the Jonny Partner system since 1991 and the original tank is still going strong.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Holy Sweet Jeepers Creepers.. Just looked at the deluxe stainless steel Johnnny Dumper.
There must be a place that rents something that pricey.
I'm a "groove rookie". Been to a lot of places with a lot of different Lou set ups..
Carrying and managing for success and hygiene seems like a battle.
We have 14 of us headed from Mineral Bottom on the Green through Cataract Canyon.. 8 days.
This seems like a topic that deserves some more research.
Its definitely spendy... but its also a lifetime "buy once cry once" kinda purchase and will likely pay off in trip invites. Surprisingly, this year was the first time I've gotten to use the Johnny Partner ones and they are SO much nicer to use. The only thing that kinda sucks is as they get older the sealing lid gets harder to take on and off. One of the ones we used this year was a commercial one that got a ton of use for years and you had to use a pry bar to get the lid off. The other was pretty new and it was easy to get off.

The selway feels similarly well built but I don't have a ton of experience with it. Definitely the most clunky one size wise but if the owner designs their setup around it it seems to be no problem.

I know a ton of people with the Ecosafe and the tanks seem to hold up fine...but I've seen quite a few broken seats. Definitely the least durable ones. I see they are selling them with a different style seat more similar to the coyote ones..maybe gets rid of the "Shelf incidents". Maybe I won't have to bring it to the campfire to have the middle school assembly style talk about everyone needing to clean up after themselves and not leaving it for others.

Having done the Grand a number of times with Painless Privates... a lot of them just use a toilet seat straight onto the rocket box and it works pretty well as long as you have a decent way to clean them out.

One of the most entertaining questions for experienced guides is to ask about their most "interesting" groover story.

Oh...and then there is this...

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Four starters, did Johnny partner is not stainless. It's aluminum. Secondly, if you put a thin film of silicone grease, I prefer dielectric, the lid slides right in and right out, no pry bar needed. Don't gunk it up with grease, just put a film on the lid, the plug, and the gasket that seals it. They are irrigation pipe fittings

The plant pot thing is a really cool idea! I may steal it lol

·
Registered
327 Posts
Four starters, did Johnny partner is not stainless. It's aluminum. Secondly, if you put a thin film of silicone grease, I prefer dielectric, the lid slides right in and right out, no pry bar needed. Don't gunk it up with grease, just put a film on the lid, the plug, and the gasket that seals it. They are irrigation pipe fittings

The plant pot thing is a really cool idea! I may steal it lol
10 inch size. Clay Cotta model-110. I added standoffs to the seat so it doesn't get pushed down too far.
I also pull the gaskets out and clean the inside groove before putting them away to make sure they are clean. I just store them without the gaskets in place and spray with silicone before reinstalling them. I spray the inside lip of the lids and have never had a problem with them sticking.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts