Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about taking the family from Glenwood to New Castle on Saturday, July 4, in a Briggs dory. I am an experienced boater, but I haven't been down that stretch in several years. Wondering if there are any recent obstacles/issues, and how the flow is working through the Glenwood whitewater park area. Thanks so much for any info.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The bridge abutments are the biggest issue, some with wood. The water is down so most of the shore strainers are out of the water.

The first bridge and the railroad bridge (on the other side of south canyon) are the ones that cause the worst problems.

The play wave goes on the far sides. The surfers will mark the clean path on the right. Keep to the left of the kayakers on the left. The middle will give you trouble.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,263 Posts
Use the boat chute on the right at the whitewater park. The South Canyon wave is changing daily with the water dropping quickly but it was very easy to stay away from the bridge abutments this weekend. The passage beneath the train tracks gets easier as the water gets less pushy. The commercials were running it right of the center pylon this weekend. I've always gone left, and my wife planned to when she was on the oars Sunday, but winds were pushing her and she made it through the right side.

Go right of Dinosaur rock.

If you haven't been down in several years you might find vast numbers of clueless floaters to be the biggest obstacle. Best to get an early start or enjoy a lovely late afternoon float.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have only ever gone RT at the RR bridge.. that Lt run could push you directly into that center pylon depending of water lever/wind/attention. I stick to the RT side and clean sailing.

·
1,263 Posts
The right side might be a safer bet at levels below 20,000 Cfs. Over that, the hydraulic on the backside of the center pylon is so huge that the right channel becomes very narrow and the right pylon also has a strong push towards it.

Successfully passing on the left in 2011 made that my preferred route.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
323 Posts
Somehow, when I run this, I always expect it to be crowded and it isn't. I plan on coming down the Fork this weekend to either 2 rivers or south canyon. Have I just been lucky in the past? How zoo does it get?

·
1,263 Posts
Kind of depends on flows. Just this past weekend the commercials starting sending people out in duckies. Shoshone will also likely be in the commercial's "comfort range" and they will begin running that. Also, the water is just clearing up so the fishing outfitters will be out. Near 100 degree temps, it will be busy. Maybe it's all relative but i would consider avoiding some of it either early or later in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts