1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Montana boaters!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Not a good idea, whoever let that get in the way of an adventure? ;^). Glad he is safe and sound.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Its called common sense and homework. Just got back from Moab area doing some winter hiking, great times saw nobody, and it was cold. Weather was not as cold in Green River but still well below freezing at night. Daytime temps were in the 30s down to the teens. Nighttime temps were in the teens to single digits and have been all month, even below zero. Good to hear he got out ok. Water freezes at 32 F, at least thats what I learned in grade school.;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yea we hope so lol, atm is different now too. -12 F will get it frozen.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Rivers easily stay clear well below 32, moving water helps with that. The below zero temps are hard even on rivers and probably the low current. I was surprised by the photos how much open water there often was. We boat all winter around here in various places, but a 3 week trip brings risk of unknown forecasts that you either deal with, or don't go. Most wouldn't go, true.

·
Registered
312 Posts
According to the article, the fellow had everything he needed to survive the elements. It has not been my experience to say the same about some other folks I see on the water. Perhaps he will return and make that reach in the near future.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Rivers easily stay clear well below 32, moving water helps with that. The below zero temps are hard even on rivers and probably the low current. I was surprised by the photos how much open water there often was. We boat all winter around here in various places, but a 3 week trip brings risk of unknown forecasts that you either deal with, or don't go. Most wouldn't go, true.
Would love to see those pics

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts