Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a bunch of new aggressive signs at Swinging Bridge in Brown's Park. They prohibit overnight parking if you aren't also camping there. They have gone to day use only. If you are doing a multi-day trip, plan accordingly (perhaps takeout at the Swallow Canyon boatramp). When we were there last week, there were guide drift boat trucks with their window decals covered with tape. This ramp sees almost no use, so if the Forest Service did tow someone's rig they could be dangerously stranded.

From their website: | FWS.gov :
  • No overnight parking except for people camping at established campsites. Vehicles parked overnight will be towed at the owner's expense.
  • No commercial guide and/or outfitting allowed on the Refuge.

·
Registered
837 Posts
weird. I wonder what instigated that. And what the shuttle services are telling people. that said swallow is probably a better place to take out anyway. like you said, it's a been a bit since I've been down there, but seems like it's barely used.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Encouraging people to take free camp sites they dont need
when there is a perfectly good coral and space on the road seems utarded
but its in brolorado on a nwr
and maybe keeping the locals from trashin the infrastructure outta be a priority
cause it wasnt guides outfitters or recreationist that overloaded the bridge and broke it
it was a local good ole boy rancher and former Moffit county commissioner
who shouda know better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Encouraging people to take free camp sites they dont need
when there is a perfectly good coral and space on the road seems utarded
but its in brolorado on a nwr
and maybe keeping the locals from trashin the infrastructure outta be a priority
cause it wasnt guides outfitters or recreationist that overloaded the bridge and broke it
it was a local good ole boy rancher and former Moffit county commissioner
who shouda know better
It looks like the authorities don't want campsites in unspecified locations so as not to litter the county.
This is just my opinion, I could be wrong :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
no the blm camp sites are there at swinging bridge and crook camp
which has the same signs and regs now
pull up your shuttle rig put out a chair or 2
maybe pitch a tent
you went from leaving an unauthorized shuttle vehicle
to camping possibly slightly unauthorized w/out the being occupied the 1st night
but nobody has been enforcing the 14 day limits, life vest regs or much of anything lately
doesnt really matter at crook its a big cg in the middle of nowhere that rareley if ever gets filled
but theres only 5 or 6 sites at swinging bridge and its only a mile or 2 of flat water past swallow
which is a smaller takeout lot and campable and been a junk show of shuttle vehicles
In the past some outfitters, there are no shuttle only companies operating out of DJ, have been licensed to work in the refuge and able to shuttle down there.
im not sure why a fair use of our federal lands is being discouraged in this manner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts