Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to know if it was still good at these levels.

Saw they ramp it up slowly to not disturb fishing too much. Just have to catch the eddies more to slow ya down? Assume rapids are actually easier

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fished it back in 2011 when flow was big. Signs & the trail where floating in the eddies. Didn't do so hot fishing during the float - seemed like we were constantly getting hooked on trees & shrubs. Can't remember throwing streamers but did very well fishing zebra midges & eggs in the eddies. No concern on the rapids. This is all info on the "A" stretch....

·
Registered
91 Posts
It can still be very good and sometimes make it even better. The fish just need a few days or maybe a week to get used to it. I have been there right after the flows went up and the fishing was poor. If you go soon you are sorta rolling the dice with what the flows may or may not do. Right now it seems to all depend on the Yampa.

Flaming Gorge Dam releases are currently at power plant capacity (~4,600 cfs). The Yampa River is forecasted to decrease to 12,000-13,000 cfs this weekend. Forecasted flows on the Elk River are uncertain, but more information will be available tomorrow. Flaming Gorge releases will be increased to bypass capacity (~8,600 cfs) over two days either Friday and Saturday, June 6-7 or Monday and Tuesday, June 9-10. Notification will be sent tomorrow with the final release schedule.

see the whole thing at http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs/fgd.html

This is also pretty pertinent info for people pushing off on Lodore any time soon

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have caught fish at flows over 8000. The challenge is getting stuff down to them. Lots of weight needed to get deep in strong current.

The other problem at that level is finding a place to park the boat or slow down for drifting. Eddies are far and few, if you stay in the current you will go from Dam to Little Hole well before it's lunch time.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I've done section A at over 8000 once, but just for grins & giggles, not fishing. Pretty fast trip. Seeing the water firing out of the bypass tunnels is pretty awesome. The water was up in the restroom at the put-in. I'll be up that way June 12-15. Maybe I'll skip fishing section A and just paddle the Gorge instead?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If the water is stained, you might try two beads on your leader above a streamer......heavy one on top, lighter one next to the eye of the fly. Say gold metal bead atop a red glass one. Click click BOOM!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts