Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Tomorrow morning at 8, Friday March 11, we will increase releases from Green Mountain Dam to the Lower Blue River by 25 cfs. By noon, the Lower Blue should be flowing at about 300 cfs.

The reason for the change is Denver Water will be increasing their releases from Dillon Reservoir to the Blue River. Because releases from Dillon Dam flow straight to Green Mountain, we are accommodating the additional water by increasing our own release.

Please let me know if you have any related questions. I will be out of the office tomorrow, so just give me a call on my cell phone at (970) 215-9545.

Best,
Kara

·
Registered
4 Posts
JohnR - A buddy and I were thinking about doing the lower blue this Wednesday the 16th. Do you have any beta on Ice Bridges, etc... for this time of year? Doable you think or to sketch?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The last time I was there in March I was fly fishing. There was a clear open channel of very cold running water, but the bank edges and eddies were all iced. The path down is steep, and probably snow or ice covered, I found it hard to walk in vibram soles, but I was trying to walk the bank.

If you run it I think your safety margins are narrow, and you will need lots of top notch thermal gear. It's a beautiful canyon at this time of year, but not one I would do in a boat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks John. Yeah, we're a little hesitant. We've run it at 300 in a small raft and very light, but not this time of year. We'd be floating down to the take out below the Jones property and are going to fish. I'm confidant in our skills rowing and getting the boat to the river, but not so confident in knowing what lies around each turn in the river. Just worried about ice damns/bridges...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well now, since I just bought a used 14' Vanguard with that raft's reputation as a fishing boat as a major reason, I would be very interested in your trip, if you survive. Well, actually, either way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts