Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
All,
Good news for white water on the Lower Blue this weekend. We will be running about 1000 cfs down the Lower Blue from Green Mountain Dam, most likely through Sunday.

On Wednesday of this week, we completed some maintenance at the power plant and bumped releases from Green Mountain Reservoir back up to about 830 cfs.

Yesterday, we bumped up again, responding to downstream needs, to the 1000 cfs mark.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best,
Kara

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks for the update Kara! A group of us will be running it on Sunday. Do you know of any hazards/strainers that were caused from the releases?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good news on the lower Blue?..whatever...bad news for others looking to run a business and paddle on Gore Canyon.
yes. good news for class II "wannabe" boaters...but not for others.
Sure would be nice if there were consistant flows...Gore ran at 875 for the longest..now it's running 1400 - 1600. I'd love to have the insight one day as to why the release surges from almost too low..to high ( no..rain is not a factor)...I hope one of these days it gets a schedule like on most other rivers so people can plan. Commercial companies can operate, and people that may not have a computer, will know what they are getting into. Radical unscheduled releases use to happen like this on the Gauley, Ocoee, Upper Yough, etc..but the local goverment agencies caught so much flack, there are now consistant flows, which in turn brings in lots of $ to the areas. so whoever is turning the valves, needs some structure.
Yes I know it also depends on the "needs" downstream..but still doesn't have a logical schedule...why not just pump out 1,000 cfs all summer?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BB--
These are good questions and I definitely understand your concern. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer you want to hear.

Green Mountain Reservoir operations and releases are controlled by Congressional authorization, the Blue River Decrees, State water rights, the demand of marketed water, power generation, and other needs and factors--and that actually does include rain, believe it or not. Obviously, most of these needs and demands conflict with one another. That's why they don't just "pump out 1000 cfs all summer." While that would make certain groups happy, it would also directly violate other contracts and agreements.

So, to strike as close to a balance as possible, Reclamation (who owns and operates Green Mountain Reservoir, Dam, and Power Plant) participates in a weekly conference call with other reservoir operators, water and power interests, and senior water right holders from across the Upper Colorado Basin, as well as the State Engineer's Office. Everyone works together to decide what to release when and from where to meet the required demands while also getting as close to "the greater good" as possible. But, as you attest to, on a project of this scope and scale, you can never make absolutely everybody happy.

As for insight: that's why I post here. I want to give users of the river the best information I have. While it might not be information you particularly like, at least you can get an idea of what is going and why, and to some extent, plan around it. I also have a e-mail lists I send to for our various reservoir releases. If you are not on the Green Mountain list already, please let me know and I'd be happy to add you, your business, or both.

If you want to discuss further, I can do that, too. Just PM me on Monday and I'll do my best to address your questions and concerns.

Best,
Kara

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Good news on the lower Blue?..whatever...bad news for others looking to run a business and paddle on Gore Canyon.
Consider yourself in the minority bbuster. This is great news for every Gore kayaker I know. The 1400-1650 cfs flows of the last couple of weeks have provided fantastic late season kayaking. 1650ish on friday was the highest reading on that date in the historical records. Gore is great fun at this level. Bummer for the commercials that they can't run gore at that level, but also a bummer attitude for a boater to be boo-hooing great late season flows that provide for nice boating on the lower blue, gore, pumphouse, shoshone, glenwood wave, westwater etc, essentially providing class II, III, IV/V and freestyle for boaters and floaters of all walks of life. We hear you loud and clear that you don't like it, but I think the other 95% of the boaters who are loving the great late season flows are enjoying it quite a bit. I've seen nothing but happy faces at the gore put in and pumphouse from the boaters and fishermen using the lower blue, gore and pumphouse stretches.

I do agree that some structure to the releases would be of benefit to the boating community. I also think that recreation should also be one of the many variables considered in the flow equation. I do not agree that high late season flows are a bad thing though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yawn...consider yourself a weekend paddler with shit for brains

Consider yourself in the minority bbuster. This is great news for every Gore kayaker I know. The 1400-1650 cfs flows of the last couple of weeks have provided fantastic late season kayaking. 1650ish on friday was the highest reading on that date in the historical records. Gore is great fun at this level. Bummer for the commercials that they can't run gore at that level, but also a bummer attitude for a boater to be boo-hooing great late season flows that provide for nice boating on the lower blue, gore, pumphouse, shoshone, glenwood wave, westwater etc, essentially providing class II, III, IV/V and freestyle for boaters and floaters of all walks of life. We hear you loud and clear that you don't like it, but I think the other 95% of the boaters who are loving the great late season flows are enjoying it quite a bit. I've seen nothing but happy faces at the gore put in and pumphouse from the boaters and fishermen using the lower blue, gore and pumphouse stretches.

I do agree that some structure to the releases would be of benefit to the boating community. I also think that recreation should also be one of the many variables considered in the flow equation. I do not agree that high late season flows are a bad thing though.

·
V for Victory
329 Posts
Sure would be nice if there were consistant flows...Gore ran at 875 for the longest..now it's running 1400 - 1600. I'd love to have the insight one day as to why the release surges from almost too low..to high ( no..rain is not a factor)...I hope one of these days it gets a schedule like on most other rivers so people can plan. Commercial companies can operate, and people that may not have a computer, will know what they are getting into. Radical unscheduled releases use to happen like this on the Gauley, Ocoee, Upper Yough, etc..but the local goverment agencies caught so much flack, there are now consistant flows, which in turn brings in lots of $ to the areas. so whoever is turning the valves, needs some structure.
Yes I know it also depends on the "needs" downstream..but still doesn't have a logical schedule...why not just pump out 1,000 cfs all summer?
The releases are not there to serve us boaters. Considering that, we are lucky to have Kara here communicating with us so well.

There isn't a schedule to keep. It's dependent on weather and whether or not the people who have the rights to demand a release ask for a release to be made. So remember that and grow up because you sound like a spoiled brat. "WAAAAH WHY WON'T THEY CHANGE THEIR WAYS TO SUITE *ME* AND *MY BUSINESS*?"

Your business: Glenwood Springs & Aspen Colorado, Whitewater Rafting on the Colorado River & Roaring Fork River - Up Tha Creek Up Tha Creek Expeditions

Other Gore Boaters will be stoked about the high levels. And not everyone is Gore boater and you can sod off for arrogantly looking down on anyone who isn't as being a "wanna be".

yawn...consider yourself a weekend paddler with shit for brains
Richard Covington, you should consider whether your attitude will affect whether people will come to your business. I know I wouldn't want a guide with that kind of attitude.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i am surprised he is even in business w/ that mouth. i will definitely steer folks away from him when they ask about commercially rafting gore.
how dumb do you have to be to rant like that on a whitewater forum when your business is whitewater? word travels among these circles...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yo, I'm definitely not a weekend paddler, but I guess I can't argue the shit for brains piece too hard... You're an idiot and it sounds like you're also the wannabe aspiring class II boater here - we've all been running that shit. 1650 in Gore in September rules as my man Ian can attest. I'm sorry this is a bummer on business, but as I'm sure you know, rafting is fickle business. My advice? Get your guides together, make the best of the situation and we'll see you at the putin on saturday.
Joe

P.S. It got kayaked at 5,000 this year, who's to say you couldn't commercially guide it at 1650? Although, every time I think I'm nuts, I look around and realize that the competition is staggering.

·
Registered
786 Posts
First of all its real tough to compare what they do with water in the east and what they do here, its completely different laws and regulations with regard to water rights. Secondly deepsouth made some good and respectful points so the least you can do with your suspect argument is be respectful as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated, Kara. I've been enjoying the late season flows up there with my wife, and just about everyone I encounter on the river or at the ramps also seem to be enjoying them. A nice conclusion to an awesome paddling year.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
more from gm

All--

After the conference call this morning with water interests across the Upper Colorado River basin, it was decided that Green Mountain releases would increase. As of this afternoon there should be about 1100 cfs in the Lower Blue. It's anticipated this cfs rate should last through the weekend.

I'm out of the office for the rest of the week. But, I'm happy to address any questions and concerns on Monday. Please feel free to e-mail or call me then.

Best,
Kara

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326

·
Registered
820 Posts
WAAAAAAA! That extra 300 cfs just made Gore Canyon too scary for me! Ballbuster, you suck as a paddler and as a person. The Green Mountain releases might not me the only reason that your business is going down the crapper.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hey, can we start a BB bashing thread so this informative one doesn't get clogged up with crap or will that get censored? :)

Thanks again to Kara for keeping us up to date. This class II wannabe weekend warrior is pumped for more good flows this weekend. And I can attest that DSP in fact does very little work during the week during paddling season.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey, can we start a BB bashing thread so this informative one doesn't get clogged up with crap or will that get censored? :)

Thanks again to Kara for keeping us up to date. This class II wannabe weekend warrior is pumped for more good flows this weekend. And I can attest that DSP in fact does very little work during the week during paddling season.
Thankd again Kara! A group of us are stoked for the flows and will be hitting it this weekend again!

·
V for Victory
329 Posts
Flows make me wish I wasn't out on injury with a broken arm!

I'd be amused. Start the thread. I don't think BB will come out to play though. He scampered back to his cave after I called him out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts