Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
The Karma won 1st through 4th place at the Alseseca race. really cool that EJ and Dane tied for first during a 13+ minute race!!!! the torch is about to change hands it seems but EJ isnt going down any time soon, son or not. Super stoked on the new go pro 3 footage... These things are bad ass...

Enjoy!!!

Jackson Kayak Karma- creek boating in paradise: Mexico - YouTube

·
White R. BC
321 Posts
Cool! Thanks for posting.

But I am beginning to think that competition is only telling us who is doing the most performance enhancements.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Cool! Thanks for posting.

But I am beginning to think that competition is only telling us who is doing the most performance enhancements.

You peeked my intrest??? Thats a intresting thought. So, in the name of thread highjacking ;) could you explain just a bit more as to what you mean?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

Really!! I don't think there is enough money to be made in the sport to justify the cost associated with using that type of drug. :rolleyes: I don't know, I could be wrong. Anyone else have a thought? I would be willing to bet my boat that there is very little if any use of EPO's in pro kayaking. You would have to be a trust-funder or something to afford such. Just my thought.

Edited: Just found the cost of epo. So I could be very wrong.

The cost will depend on how much EPO you need. It is estimated that the annual cost of EPO will be about $5,000.

Ref: http://msl1.mit.edu/ESD10/kidneys/HndbkHTML/ch20.htm

·
White R. BC
321 Posts
I think sport is about fun. That is why I love kayaking so much. I don't care who did the biggest huck or posted the radest vid. It is more fun to do than watch. There is for my style of paddling only friendly comp. Who had a good ride, who had a good line. Exploring new country with new rivers and what trails can I work into the bike shuttle.

Well...more to your question, I think the win at all cost society puts too much emphasis on the wrong goals. I know it is in our genes, the survival of the fittest and all. But in a finite world, where does this get us? This obsession with more and growth. What about sustainability, maybe we can compete there, on footprints?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think sport is about fun. That is why I love kayaking so much. I don't care who did the biggest huck or posted the radest vid. It is more fun to do than watch. There is for my style of paddling only friendly comp. Who had a good ride, who had a good line. Exploring new country with new rivers and what trails can I work into the bike shuttle.
Could not have said it better myself.

Well...more to your question, I think the win at all cost society puts too much emphasis on the wrong goals. I know it is in our genes, the survival of the fittest and all. But in a finite world, where does this get us? This obsession with more and growth. What about sustainability, maybe we can compete there, on footprints?
Totally agree. Time to go boating.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Sorry to continue the hijack but I wonder what that new microparticle oxygen shot could do for kayakers? You can live for 15 minutes without breathing through your lungs, handy thing if you're into some of the kayaking aspects that can include some serious downtime.

·
White R. BC
321 Posts
See also Natale's conclusion from the WWGP, stage 3 I think, where she found she did best when she concentrated on having fun and being in the moment. Maybe it is all about mindfulness!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Pretty cool teaser, although I am getting to where I like videos with a little content intermixed with the hucking these days...

·
Registered
579 Posts
My " epo!!!!!! " comment was made as a social joke. Oprah got it.

I agree, I would hope that the down river race part of our sport is way to small of a segment to lead to any true doping.

I would say the tendency would be to light up before a big drop, not shoot up.

·
White R. BC
321 Posts
I wasn't trying to imply anything about Jackson. I have only been around EJ and Dane at races, a clinic and studying their training vids. EJ seems to be a totally straight up hard working guy and Dane was just a little kid. Oh...and intense in a layed back kayaker sort of way. Lol.

Just a reaction to Lance who while never seeming straight up, had some good rides. When I was racing I remember when everything (training, the group I was in, the day clicking and no drugs) just peaked. So I thought it was possible. Then, I remember Greg Lemond wondering why he was no longer competitive at the start of the Indurain era.

If your company depended on it there would be some temptation, but I don't know why anyone would risk their health to cheat. Anyway, top four must say something about the boat. And lay off the dope before the big drop, save it for after!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phil, totally agree. That is the coolest f'n move I have seen in a long time. I am out at the JK factory for meetings at the moment, and had dinner with EJ last night... he was saying that without question that is his favorite of all time creeking move. Apparently it's a lot more tricky then it looks, you can piton super easy if you don't have the correct bow angle to the left with a bit of a tricky/sticky hole just before that wall move.

I don't often put up video's, but this one really got my attn.

Snow may be a bit skinny this year, but I can't wait for kayaking season!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts