Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all of last year's posts on this topic I'm probably going to wish I never brought it up, but. . .

1. Does anyone know which USGS site gives info on the Grape Creek res, if any?

2. On the snowpack forecast site (see below), which location best captures that drainage?

ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/arkansas.txt

3. Does the Grape Creek at Westcliff gauge tell you anything?

www.dwr.state.co.us/Hydrology/flow_graph.asp?ID=GRAWESCO&MTYPE=DISCHRG

I'd love to do this run and my friends who ski the Crestones said that range has a decent snowpack, relatively speaking. If I'm dreaming, put me out of my misery early so I can fantasize about some other elusive run. Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
The gauge is above westcliff. If the res is spilling the gauge is probably pretty close to what you'll have in the run. If the lake is filling the gauge is meaningless.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ed's your man

Caspian is right. Ed Hansen would know since he's in Canon City these days. With all the snow I bet it will run this year. He'll have the beta.

·
Registered
882 Posts
SAT time...

Ed Hansen:Grape Creek as...

(a) Tom Chamberlain:Escalante Creek
(b) Don:Confluence Park
(c) Frenchy:Big South
(d) All of the above

BTW - according to the USFS site, Long Draw Road is impassable, but the gate is OPEN.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
That is correct. De Weese reservior is below Westcliffe. The gauge is below westcliffe, but above the res. So if the res is full, the gauge is pretty good.

Has Ed actually done the run much or just hiked it and posted a ton of pics?

Patricia, the valley you live in is either the Gore valley or the Eagle valley. The "Vail valley" is a comercial misnomer.

·
Registered
882 Posts
IIRC he just moved there last year? Ok, maybe not the full-on expert - it doesn't run much, but yeah, he posted loads of beta on the water level last year and I don't recall anyone posting much on it in the last few seasons except him.

I'm chompin' at the bit for word on it this year. No more grad school + telecommute + independent contractor = leave the home office when the water's up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When you guys run it please post the pics - I think we would all love to seem 'em.

Dave you got to be the smart ass :lol: I can' t wait to change it when I move down to the real world.

Sending pics of Westwater later today - got a great frontal of you. Should I post it??? :twisted:

-P

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would have posted earlier, but I spent the last week muddling about in various slot canyons in Utah, and riding MUni in Moab. But now I'm back.

First to clear up a few things:

I've been here in Florence for 1 1/2 years (just downstream of Canon City).

I have not run grape creek yet.

I've never claimed to be a expert on grape creek.

My relatively close proximity to Grape creek allows me to keep an occasional eye on the creek and it's upstream reservoir. That is all I have to offer. I would like a veteran to show me some lines when it flows.

I camped/scouted it a couple times last year at low water levels. I snapped and posted pics from these trips. I wasn't able to hit it with real water. I hope to have better luck this year.

Even after I hopefully run it this year once, (twice?), or hopefully more, I still will not be the local expert on the creek.

·
Registered
882 Posts
All true - sorry for any hoo-hah. I missed Grape last year, but religiously followed the threads on it. You were the first person since '01 to post any sustantive info that I could recall. Hopefully see you there.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Ha ha. Telecommuting...suckaz! If I'm a contractor, I might as well make use of the flex time, right?

I'm probably heading your way this weekend, prob. Sat nite. I'll holler at ya. Is the reduction in mileage worth my bringing a boat at this level? I'm sick right now, but if I get better by then, maybe we can hit Cross on Sunday. I am really jonesin' for some water.

Sharlow and I watched the IMAX "Mystery of the Nile" down here. Take some SIK big water carnage, and add crocodiles. It was pretty cool. Oh -- *raft* carnage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts