Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://community.webshots.com/user/wolfhowlmoon

Click on the 1st photo album. If you are reading this after July or August of 2005, it may not all be there, or at least not in the 1st position. I will update with fresh albums/photos as time goes on.

Here's what the reservoir looks like.... 100% full. A bunch of them are panaramic pics (as to fit in the whole dam), including one of the snow covered headwaters mountain range, (not all that will come down Grape however). Locate the Sangre de Cristo panaramic shot 4th from the end, view fullsize, make sure your browser isn't shrinking it down as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeeha!!!!

Thanks Ed for getting information on the level. Looks really good.
I took the link that you had for pictures of grape may 04. Which pic is the falls or did you get a pic of the falls? When it does run what volume are we talking, Cfs? Have you run it and would you like to be a guide? It sounds like a long day and scouting sounds like a major chore for that long a stretch. Thanks for the info,
Johnny

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Yeeha!!!!

I've never floated it. Nor have I seen it with volume. I can speculate which pis is the one with Rooster falls, but I could be wrong so I'll let someone else who has run the thing point it out for sure. I took pics of every drop or potential rapid so it is in there somewhere. I haven't viewed them since last year, so I need to look at them again.

I'll be looking for a guide myself. Anyone up for Monday or Tuesday, MAY 2nd or 3rd? Those are my days off. It would be good to have an ol' salt with us, but if the level is at this lower level, I'd be willing to hit it with a compitent boater or 3. ps... If the road to the put-in is muddy, my truck will be useless... anyone with a 4wd. I can probably borrow one (maybe) if I really need to.

Ed Hansen

floaty22 said:
Thanks Ed for getting information on the level. Looks really good.
I took the link that you had for pictures of grape may 04. Which pic is the falls or did you get a pic of the falls? When it does run what volume are we talking, Cfs? Have you run it and would you like to be a guide? It sounds like a long day and scouting sounds like a major chore for that long a stretch. Thanks for the info,
Johnny

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ed,
I am going to be in that area looking to paddle something..
I have never been on grape but sure would love to get er done..
email me at
[email protected]
or my cell at 970-218-4228
thanks
patrick

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Looks like I'm rolling to Durango on Friday and coming back up Sunday- I could be inclined to meet up with folks and give this one a try coming back. THe weather doesn't look too bad - 60ish? TBoner might be rolling down with me, so there might be two of us. I have a four-by with a ladder rack, so the shuttle shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey guys, unfortunately I will be driving from durango to get to grape and see some friends in royal gorge. And my days off are thursday afternoon thru sunday mid-day. If anyone is intersted then let me know and i would love to run it on those days. first or second weekend of may?
lets get it,
Johnny

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mescalimick said:
Before we get too carried away making plans....is there water in it yet?
Today it's at 61. If it has 100 in it, I'm game for a low water run, anything over that will be nice too.

Monday is now out for me, (supposed to be chilly anyway), But I'm good for Tuesday which is supposed to be warmer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
grape on tuesday

ed, i am moving down to Salida for the summer this weekend and would be game for a grape run on tuesday. Give me a call 970 485 3384

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey ed and elwood i will also be moving to that canyon, salida area tues apr 10 so is you happen to has the day off give me a shout iam jones-n to get in the water.
nick maez 9703087031 0r 7197839550

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ed,
Thanks for the updates. I really want to get on this one. Question: with the reservoir full, does that mean the guage GRAWESCO -- GRAPE CREEK NEAR WESTCLIFFE is accurate for the water that will be in the run?

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
blutzski said:
Ed,
Thanks for the updates. I really want to get on this one. Question: with the reservoir full, does that mean the guage GRAWESCO -- GRAPE CREEK NEAR WESTCLIFFE is accurate for the water that will be in the run?
There may be some minor diversions, but it is my take that as long as the res is full the gauge is pretty good.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've heard the same thing Dave said but I can't say for sure. I'll look at it again on Monday, but won't have time to run it till Tuesday if the flow rebounds. Down to 44 cfs today, hopefully it gets warmer and rises 100ish by Tuesday.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Grape creek

I would be interested in joining the group forming to run grape creek this week. I live in Salida but have not done this run yet, but have had my mind on it for a while. Phone number is 719-221-2229, My name is Phil. If there is room in the party please let me know. Almost any time is great for me to run this stretch. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Grape creek

I would be interested in joining the group forming to run grape creek this week. I live in Salida but have not done this run yet, but have had my mind on it for a while. Phone number is 719-221-2229, My name is Phil. If there is room in the party please let me know. Almost any time is great for me to run this stretch. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I'd also like to get a run at this one- I have to work during the week, but I'll pull a sick day if this run starts to go. I'm thinking Wed-Thurs, when it starts to warm up & my work week is more open.

Tuesday crew- be sure to post a report.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been cold and snowy the last few days here in Florence, so I'm guessing the same over the hill at the Reservoir so the water dropped a bit but now it's supposed to warm back up.

If we go on Tues, it will be sub100cfs. It's currently at 58 and rising since yesterday, but may not get back up to 100.

Well, I'm off to take pics of 58 cfs at the dam, post them, then make phone calls to see who still wants to test the waters, so to speak.

Ed Hansen
719-661-4377

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The pics are uploading now. Doesn't look go for Tuesday. The water line is 2 inches felow the crest of the dam. seven-tenths fo a foot below the dam, I could walk across the creek. check out the pics here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/wolfhowlmoon album is named "2 MAY 05 Dewesse"

The weather is gonna warm back up over the next couple days up so the water level will mostly likely come back up later this week, but for now I think it's a waiting game.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts