Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assuming both gauges are off as Waterton is over 2000. I would assume there is around 700-900 coming in from the north fork? Thoughts? Am I missing something? Are both gauges not working? Would like to get an idea of what Foxton is running.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was running it this Monday the gauge is definitely off. I would say it was probably in the 700-900 range. Its a fantastic run at that level. Definitely go for it!!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I think the gauges are fine. During runoff there's a lot of water that comes in between Bailey & the confluence. Given that this is mostly rain driven, you can expect that to be amplified even further.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Foxton probably is 600-700 cfs

The gauge at Bailey is probably 20 miles upstream from Foxton and the Grant gauge is 10 miles above that. They are probably correct, and there is probably also 700-900 cfs in the Foxton run. We ran it Monday and I was estimating it was 600-700. The difference between Bailey and Foxton is all of the creeks and side streams coming in. There were culverts dumping probably 50 cfs at a time into Foxton. I would guess that Deer Creek and Buffalo Creek are dumping lots of water into the North Fork. We talked to a boater that lives along Foxton and he uses Waterton gauge - Trumbull gauge (which is just downstream of Deckers) to estimate the Foxton flow this time of year.
Anyway, Foxton was fun; lots of good surf waves. Waterton was 2400 cfs and also definitely worth running and hiking your boat; a big water feel that we don't get very often along the front range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts