Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Whodafukrwe Rafters
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a Grande Ronde trip the second week of June. In the past we have rafted from Minam to Boggan's but never past that.

Is continuing on to Heller Bar, safe, difficult or even worth it? I've heard different things about the "narrows" but don't know what to believe.

We should have flows around 6,000 to 8,000 cfs. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks, R.P.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely doable, safe, and worth it. The river slows down and it alternates between isolated canyons and small ranches. Its a pretty drastic change in scenery from Boggan's on - think lower Deschutes with less people - but I found it to be fairly stunning. As for the narrows, we ran it a few weeks ago and I think we were around 6000 cfs? Very doable, one large hole to avoid on the left but very straightforward - very fun rapid! As for scouting, it seems like river right gives you the best view point but be very careful to stay below the high water line - the property owners are VERY adamant about no trespassing and will give you a hard time if they see you. You could try river left but it seemed there was way less of an eddy to catch. Id say go for it, and don't forget to get a milkshake at Boggans!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts