Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never been on the Grand Ronde. but got invited on a three day trip in july for the normal run. I'ts a bit of a drive for us from UT so would like to extend the trip all the way down to Heller bar. any advice from those in the know? worth the effort? Camps? hikes? number of days? anything else I should know?

TIA
royal

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great float, cool scenery and wildlife, but mellow. Bring fishing poles and catch smallmouth bass all day long. At low water in October, we did Troy to Heller as an overnighter in kayaks, but we took out in the dark the second day. I've also done Schumaker to Heller in a raft and it's a long day in late summer if you're just lounging, drinking beer and not rowing pretty constantly, and again we took out in the dark. In July it might go pretty quick though, and Troy to Heller should be do-able in two days.
A couple miles upstream of the confluence, there's the Narrows, which you should scout for sure and run/line as feels comfortable. July could still be 10K+ cfs, and things get pretty fast through there.
Downstream of the Narrows you re-join the (dirt) road access, things pick up a little bit and there's still a short, tight, 3-ish rapid just upstream of a concrete bridge.
There's a boat launch on the GR about 2 miles upstream of Heller Bar. It's not concrete but there's no jet boats, so it might be less hectic, (and it's less steep).

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
551 Posts
Heller is a 1/4 mi past confluence.

·
Registered
136 Posts
And buy July you will be more in the low flow. It’s running at 7000+ today but predicted to drop this week some. We are headed there next week!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gets really slow below Troy. Long day to get from one of the lower camps to below Boggins in a day. It’s all road side from the bridge down to Boggins. Not a ton of camping between Troy and Boggins, but we never really looked as we didn’t want to be road side. Not a ton a good spots below Boggins either... you’re getting river info that’s 3-4 years old from me, cause that’s the last time I did it.
I’m sure our group will do it again. Nothing wrong with the float and I’m sure you could make do with some of the camps we turned our noses at.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hers a few from Troy to bogann’s may 2019 . Water was 11,795 when we put on. Peaked at around 14,000. We were doing 5.5 mikes in 25 minutes. Had do do extra layovers. Or we should have been done in two days

·
Registered
210 Posts
Unless you love bass fishing (below Boggans) and mostly flat water, I'd take out by Troy. Drive to Crouch Idaho, find a nice dispersed campsite, and spend your time day floating the payettes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Has anybody stayed on the Snake River past Heller Bar and gone on down to Asotin, or even Lewiston/Clarkston? Thumbs up, thumbs down?
I've done it, actually all the way to the ocean. That stretch is pretty flat but some rapids here and there. It is mostly private land so you would need to be very intentional about camping or get permission. I think there are a couple state parks you could camp at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Never been on the Grand Ronde. but got invited on a three day trip in july for the normal run. I'ts a bit of a drive for us from UT so would like to extend the trip all the way down to Heller bar. any advice from those in the know? worth the effort? Camps? hikes? number of days? anything else I should know?

TIA
royal
Spring high water is fine. Lots of elk and I've seen bear. Beautiful country. No rapids tougher than 3, but few of them. Stop in grand Ronde for the bar.
Nice people there.
Rich

1 - 16 of 16 Posts