Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been down the Grand recently, or know of someone who has ? Planning on doing the night float to Pearce, and wondering what the sand bar situation is. Curious if the high flow created any new problems...Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
We went through on a Diamond Down in October, and sand bar alley still has some bars, but nothing really sticking out of the water. There were a few spots you could get out of the boat and walk though. I'd say keep left if you can and just watch out for the Huali Docks. No real obstacles now that the bat tram cable has been cut. We are doing the night float end of March from Spencer Down. If we are back before you launch I'll post an update.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just got off the river a couple of weeks ago and only a few sand bars were exposed. I traveled that section during daylight so it was easy to navigate. I will add that Pearce Ferry Rapid is the craziest I have ever seen it....much more gnarly than anything up stream. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks we launch the 3rd....I'll post then how the sand is. I have video somewhere of Pierce rapid from april 2011. Holy shit !! We did this float in 2010 and it was a blast, though we did hit the wall a few times in the dark

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would love to see video of Pearce Ferry rapid now if anyone has it. We were there in spring '13 and it had mellowed significantly, so in October '14 we didn't even hike down from the takeout to look over the edge at it. Now I wish we had! It sounds like the beast has re-awakened.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts