Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
giesend
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that the river has jumped up over the weekend and took the dog down to where I remembered the old 29rd wave and it seemed to be totally washed out??!! Does anybody know anything about this? I just moved back to GJ last August after a 3 year hiatus and remember the wave being about 200m upstream from 29rd in the surfer's left channel.

Did I forget how to find the wave or has it tragically washed away?

·
giesend
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wont be there until run off starts up its only around 1700cfs atm it's alot of fun around 5 grand
What gauge is the best to refer to for this wave? I'm currently looking at the American Whitewater page and it shows that the Grand Junction Town section is currently flowing at 5280 which was the level that it was also at this past weekend. The Big Sur gauge above Palisade is showing 2730.

Now that I think about it, this gauge is most likely not accurate for that section of the Colorado. The wave is above the confluence with the Gunnison; the town section and Ruby both read 5280 which are both after the confluence. The Big Sur wave is above Palisade which I assume is also before the diversion into desert farmland.

If anyone got through my rambling... what gauge are you seeing 1700 on??? Thanks!

·
giesend
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Side note if anyone cares to reply... I'm having a slow day at work!

Anyone know about Plateau Creek? Looks like its a pretty novice run. Was the barbed wire removed from last season? Does anyone want to run it soonish? Would it be worthwhile to run this low?

·
Registered
20 Posts
For something close by, I find Plateau to be pretty fun at higher levels and better than a pool or town run. The lowest I've done it is around 700 and there were a few scrappy spots. I put in maybe .5-1 miles below the turn for Colbran and there aren't any fences to deal with. If it comes up more, I'd be game for a lap or two.

·
Registered
411 Posts
the raft is bad idea unless you have access to a ramp and i dont remember seeing one ik's and kayaks are generally the way to go also it gets real narrow and at the end would be a tough squeeze threw the bridge

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hmm I didn't see anything in that video that looked like trouble for a 14 ft boat.

Boat ramps are really as necessary when paddling and not bringing any gear.

·
tytanr
116 Posts
Plateau Cr.

I've seen smaller rafts on it around 600+. They were usually taking out at a small channel on river left just before the bridge at a very large pullout. Will have to wrestle your boat up a bank and over sagebrush or up a small creek drainage for about 50 feet at this spot. It's definitely the best option for a takeout but you will miss the best rapid of the run which is below the bridge. Have also had some IKs do the run with us at most flows. Did see some guys do the last section in a mini-me size raft one year but not sure of the flow. If one attempts the last section you will have to find a spot to get out before the I-70 bridge or it could have some nasty consequences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts