Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a Grand trip in January and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a couple of layover days that time of year?

·
Registered
312 Posts
My favorite layovers for January would be calculated on hiking opps, cool views, shelter from wind and SUNSHINE. Some of these are: Lava Canyon, Lower Bass, Racetrack, Below Tuckup, the Whitmore camps, Parashant, 202, Indian Canyon, Suprise Canyon. There are many more and some folks like to do different things on layover days. If its storming out, it really doesnt matter much as long as your safe from rising/flooding water.

·
Registered
323 Posts
South Canyon and Nankoweap are also good camps for winter. Despite being in the depths of Marble Canyon, they do pretty well for daytime sunshine. Long hikes are available from both locations.

Also - if you pack your own firewood in, you'll spend a lot less time hunting for it on the river. We packed in 1/2 cord (bagged and bundled) on my last trip and it was just the right amount. I thought there was no way it was going to fit but we threw it at 5x 18' boats and it just disappeared!

·
Registered
11 Posts
For sunshine consider Kwagunt in Marble....and lower down, 110 Mile. Highly recommend bringing high quality long burning firewood with you!
Lots of toe warmers, Chota Mukluks, and thick wool socks under your drysuit booties too!

·
Registered
155 Posts
President Harding, Cardenas, and Granite Park are all good layover camps.

Not good for a layover, but great if the weather turns bad is Randy's Rock Camp.

Kyle

·
Registered
936 Posts
All Great Suggestions! Hope you have a copy of Day Hikes from the River and the Guide to the Colorado River in Grand Canyon to help with your planning, and Big Water Little Boats to read around the fire on those long winter nights! Yours, tom (i know, i know, shameless plug...:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts