Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won a permit and am now 6 weeks out! Gee I’m nervous and am using Moenkopi. What ddid you forget that you really cant believe you forgot. I’m so nervous I’m sure once we are on the river it’lll all be good but the reality is daunting. Not so concerned about running the river, of course, Ill be nervous running the rapids but the food pack is giving me nightmares. Help please

·
Registered
526 Posts
Pay Moenkopi to do your food so you don't have to worry about it.

Good that you're not too concerned with running the river. That's the easy part. Set up early - you're always going to be late.

Leave Tom Martin's guidebook at home and enjoy the scenery.

Don't go too fast. In six weeks you won't be competing with commercial motor trips. Make friends with the other trips that you see and communicate about camping preferences/goals.

Have a Plan A, B, C, D, E...

You can only run out of beer once.

Sleep on your boat.

Lose yourself.

Don't go too fast.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you girls actually the other launch that day is my long time permit partner. My ego got the best of me way back in 2019 and I decided to go for it even though we both agreed who ever won would take the other. Then as I jumped up and down I called him and he said he won the same day. Weird I know. But your right let moenkopi deal with the food

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Let Moenkopi deal with the food, but look closely at the menu and ask questions. We used them 2 years ago, the gear was spot on, everything was perfect, BUT the food. 5 days of Kayaker quinoa for breakfast... Quinoa = boiled seeds, tasteless.. Mexi Wraps ? 2 cans of black beans, tortillas and bell peppers... A can of tomato soup and grilled cheese for dinner. Their pre made vegetarian lasagna wasn't very tasty either, bland and mushy. Stick with things you actually know what they are, and have them pack that instead of their standard menus. 75% of the food was fine, VERY prep intensive, helps to make lunch when you're making breakfast. Andrew simply rocks.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
What ddid you forget that you really cant believe you forgot. I’m so nervous I’m sure once we are on the river it’lll all be good but the reality is daunting.
Too many people stress about "what am I forgetting?" rather than "what can I really do without?"

Bring necessary safety equipment, a drysuit, some warm camp clothes, some good lotion/salve and enough calories for 3 weeks...and just go to enjoy the trip.

If you've forgotten a few things in the past, you'll either realize a) you're never doing without it again or b) you really didn't need it in the first place. The metric really doesn't change between an overnight and a multiday...it's just how much longer you're doing without that item...or how much longer you're hauling some useless crap. :) I'm not saying this to be snarky, but to hopefully ease your mind...it's easy to over-stress. It's gonna be awesome.

Oh, and BTW, this Kindle book is AWESOME for first-time TL's. Some of it is GC specific, but 90% of it applies to TL's for any multiday.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Jim Moss puts out some very good info in that book. well worht the read

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, let Moenkopi do the food, and yes, check to see that you are happy with all the meals (specifically if there are too many item repeats). They are top notch and take care of you.

The shame of unloading beer at the end is better than the shame of running out...

·
Registered
370 Posts
We used Ceiba and that went well. Recommend watching
. The downstream ferry rapids are the most daunting and lead to the majority of carnage, and his instructions are very helpful. Watch some videos on Lava and do not F up, but do not spend days stressing over it. Other rapids are just as likely to cause you issues. Figuring out the daily meal rotation and planning is critical. Early starts rule the day in the Canyon to over come delays, hikes and you do not want to be in big rapids at night.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A fall canyon trip? Oh that is awesome.

For my first time as TL/PH I used MOE and they have a really great tl packet and stuff that is worth a detailed read.

My first trip down I forgot lipbalm, and that was a rookie move. I packed my own repair kit too, and had stuff that was great and stuff I wished I had. (like around file) We opted for an extra groover can just in case, the sat phone rental (did not use, but nice to have to supplement the inreaches on the trip) and the food pack really worked for us. It is really dialed in. I added a costco fresh pepper grinder (4 dollars) and bought my own cheap but darn sharp kitchen knife (victornox fibrox kitchen knife) in a victornox bladesafe clamshell carrier, and furi diamond finger knife sharpener. Crappy kitchen knives make me really upset, and I was glad I had mine with.

If you have folks that are not keen on cooking they can be on groover team the whole trip, and that can make everyone happy.
One of the folks on our trip suggested making lunches at breakfast, and dividing them up in the morning, and the time saved by not setting up and taking down a kitchen at lunch time really changes the trip. It is a free 40-60 extra minutes a day, and with the days getting shorter, that can open up more hikes, more miles etc.
Also one other thing that worked for us was having a boatperson meeting each morning, and we started with where we are at (what camp) plan for the day and the possible camps and hikes, and any rapids we would stop and scout. We then checked our fittings (set screws can get loose) and then took down camp and got ready to shove off.

I am a huge fan of good socks, and during my WFR, and a few other courses the instructors spoke often of "sacred socks" for end of day/tent use only. for me, they are smartwool mountaineer socks, and they ride in their own mini dry bag (NRS .5L) in a ziploc freezer bag. Dry, sand free sacred socks? oh, that is some good stuff.. Also, even though cotton kills on the river, a dry cotton t shirt is pretty awesome in camp.

It is a great time on the water, and camp, and a magical place to spend some time.

also, adding a pinch of cayenne, cinnamon and espresso powder to hot chocolate will take it to a whole different level. Be flexible, it is an expedition, and sometimes stuff does not got as planned, but, you are also in the canyon, and that rocks.

have a great trip!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have TLd many river and non-river trips. Almost always did the food menu and shopping myself, even for short multi-day trips for 40-50 people. That is until I was introduced to the magical world of food packing. IMO there are two services on a trip it is 100% worth paying for: Food Pack and Groover. Make your menu and let someone else do all the work for what is really a minimal cost for a GC trip. (should be around $35-50 per person per trip, depending on your group size and float days)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Speaking of socks, our group all had foot issues. Its the sand abrasion. 3 weeks is no joke. I am using NRS rubber booties. They do not keep your feet dry, but they keep the sand out. I had 2 pair ( until I had to give a pair to someone in bad shape) Used one on the river in my river shoes, and swapped to a dry pair at night for walking around camp. Then plenty of moisturizer before bed and air dry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"If you have folks that are not keen on cooking they can be on groover team the whole trip, and that can make everyone happy."

Jerseyjeff, can I please go on one of your trips? Groover is the easiest, fastest, and most coveted job in the world - it is only marginally harder than "rest day."

If this was ever offered by a TL in my circle chaos would ensue. Perhaps I paddle with the wrong people...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Great time of year down there sounds like it will be a party and probably Halloween! Let Brady know what’s important to you and he is good at accommodating. Don’t forget your costumes!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I did Groover Duty as trip leader and we came up with a rotation for meals. Groover also includes both wash stations. I would also help set up the kitchen and tear down. Worked for me doing planning and trouble shooting as well. Just do not be too rigid, every group is different. Everyone must contribute and make sure the boats are unloaded and kitchen is set up and has what they need no matter what before wandering off.

Another thing that worked well is ASSIGN riggers for each boat. Those riggers rig the boat and unload each day while the captain hands or hauls items and assists. They can ride on different boats each day, but those riggers get damn good at strapping that junk pile each day and get faster and faster,

·
Registered
141 Posts
Baby wipes for the feet or dedicated wash cloth you're able to rinse out. Gallons of lotion for your feet. (my last trip. of 14 there were only 4 that didn't have feet issues) Depending on your water filtration system and size of the group, a dedicated person for that, especially if it needs to settle before hand. Don't forget to sit back, take a deep breath and give yourself your own alone time to enjoy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
"If you have folks that are not keen on cooking they can be on groover team the whole trip, and that can make everyone happy."

Jerseyjeff, can I please go on one of your trips? Groover is the easiest, fastest, and most coveted job in the world - it is only marginally harder than "rest day."

If this was ever offered by a TL in my circle chaos would ensue. Perhaps I paddle with the wrong people...
Oh, thats funny, 14 folks on groover and 2 cooks... I really enjoy cooking, and definitely did not mind, and I know that folks that wanted groover also advertised that they did not like to cook, and, so it worked, I do think all trips are different, and really there is not a bad idea on this thread yet. The big thing is fun, and since the temps are lower, Halloween candy. Very few things could make a canyon trip better, but PB cups certainly would not make me sad.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.