Mountain Buzz banner
121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
While the gist of what you write is true, the original thread {post} was most certainly politically charged, and to expect those of a differing political bent then yours not to turn it into a dumpster fire, was naive. I don't think it was posted with that goal in mind, but done none the less, and capped off with a shot across the bow of Georon's ship so to speak LOL. What's truly surprising is the lack of comment from him on this thread, which would have really turned this into a much more heated and out of control "discussion".

It turned into a politically charged anti / pro china virus post in posts number 4 thru 8, and went back and forth between you and others between politics, and medicine, with you all the time throwing fuel on the fire, until it turned into a full blown dumpster fire. To call it a "looking for trip participants post" is sorta disingenuous. Not that I disagree with your desires to have an all right leaning trip, but the way you went about it subsequent to the first post did little more than fan the flames.

I do wonder however, why as a supporting member I am supposed to be "neutral" ?? Where the hell did that come from? I'm not allowed to have my own views on a subject simply as I support the Buzz financially? Do tell.. This should be interesting..
What you’re saying is true, mostly. Georon seems to have a pretty good sense of humor about a little ribbing occasionally...if he showed up seriously butt-hurt, I wouldn’t do it. As to the original post being politically “charged”, how would you say you’re looking for a catboat trip, for example, without mentioning catboats?
As a poster mentioned, I want to “caucus” (the best use of the word I’ve ever seen) with guys I’m comfortable with. And so does everyone else. The flippant post about the poison jab would evoke the exact same response from a certain subset of folks here, no matter how reasonably I phrased it. Some just love to be outraged...so, fuck it. Give it to them straight up, right between the eyes. Reasonably describing my concerns over side effects, would have still seen me called a moron. Nobody knows that better than you. You’ve had an incredible amount of unwarranted flaming because you don’t think like “they” do.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
how would you say you’re looking for a catboat trip, for example, without mentioning catboats
Hardly apples to apples, but I get your drift. Politics is a lot different than a boat design, and elicits much different responses. I don't recall anyone being called a fuckwit for wanting to row a cat, or visa versa..
You’ve had an incredible amount of unwarranted flaming because you don’t think like “they” do.
Just a glutton for punishment I suppose o_O:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Georon seems to have a pretty good sense of humor about a little ribbing occasionally...
Uh huh.. You go with that lololol.. it's when he replies to a post that he doesn't agree with that things get nasty..
I understand he mostly keeps this behavior in the eddy, but still..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thought I would look for remaining embers... I wanted to quickly respond to you,MNichols, regarding your comment about your right to have opinions. That was not my intent. I recall a thread perhaps a year ago, it went off the rails with stupid rants and such. You chimed in with a post that plainly stated the comments were inappropriate. Your words carried more weight and I could see the conversation change to a more civil tone. You can call an individual "naive" and the response isn't "fukwit". I guess I don't know what a premium member is. I suspected it was a moderator of sorts. With that in mind, I hoped there was a time to opinionate, and a time to reign in the heated ones. Thanks for what you do on Mt buzz.
Looking back on this thread, guess it is like having a job interview on social media. How about a simple post about space on a GrCanyon trip, collect a few phone numbers, have a conversation with each and at that time discuss the possibility that political views may be a factor. Every trip leader has the right to get the cleanest best fit of all participants. 21 days is a long time to be with folks you may not get along with. I've been there

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Thought I would look for remaining embers... I wanted to quickly respond to you,MNichols, regarding your comment about your right to have opinions. That was not my intent. I recall a thread perhaps a year ago, it went off the rails with stupid rants and such. You chimed in with a post that plainly stated the comments were inappropriate. Your words carried more weight and I could see the conversation change to a more civil tone. You can call an individual "naive" and the response isn't "fukwit". I guess I don't know what a premium member is. I suspected it was a moderator of sorts. With that in mind, I hoped there was a time to opinionate, and a time to reign in the heated ones. Thanks for what you do on Mt buzz.
Looking back on this thread, guess it is like having a job interview on social media. How about a simple post about space on a GrCanyon trip, collect a few phone numbers, have a conversation with each and at that time discuss the possibility that political views may be a factor. Every trip leader has the right to get the cleanest best fit of all participants. 21 days is a long time to be with folks you may not get along with. I've been there
I have too much respect for him, and know him well enough that insults would be inappropriate. And he may have been right.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Thought I would look for remaining embers...
Glad you did. I can't say to remember the post that you referenced, some days I seem to reply to a lot of things, some days I post things, and some days I go WHOA!! Glad that my actions did something good, and you're welcome.
I guess I don't know what a premium member is. I suspected it was a moderator of sorts.
Nope, no moderator here, just another boater with a lot of time on my hands some days.
A Premium member is someone that supports the buzz financially. I've belonged in the past to forums that were good, but the owners either displayed ads for revenue to keep the costs of hosting, software, IT etc down or they begged for money in the forums, or they just dissipated one day.
There's none of that here, it's the longest running forum for boating that I know of, and I enjoy 99% of the people here despite disagreeing with many of them from time to time, and I'm sure that's mutual. Don't want to see it vanish due to the powers that be feeling it's not worth supporting any longer, so for $20 bucks a year donation, they crowned me a "Premium Member", I get no special powers, nothing other than the satisfaction one gets from supporting something worthwhile, and perhaps the same warm feeling deep down inside that one gets from peeing their pants.

If more people were to send them $20 bucks, there would likely be less of a chance of the buzz going anywhere, and it might encourage the said powers that be to add more features or something like that, but I like it just the way it is. It would IMHO help to ensure it's longevity. I found it in the settings when I saw 2tomcat2 had become a premium member and thought, what a wonderful way to support something I enjoy. Hell, you can't get much else these days (even plastic buckets are now apparently $70 bucks) for $20.00. If I were the site Admin's, I'd make a sticky thread on the home page letting folks know they CAN support this wonderful boating resource.

I'd urge anyone with the inclination do do the same as I and become a Premium Member. The ability to do so is hidden somewhere in the settings, I recall I had to search a while to find it (and for that matter ask Andy H what it was LOL). (perhaps the mods would ask the powers that be to put a little button on the right panel that links to it).
Looking back on this thread, guess it is like having a job interview on social media.
I look at the Buzz as a much more refined form of what I call "Anti Social Media" as things such as what my friend calls "The Book of Faces" are SO heavily moderated in most instances, and full of stupid cat photos, assholes, fukwits nimrods etc, that I subscribe to none of it. I've heard horror stories of people posting something truly innocent, and going down in flames by the anonymous membership there, that seems to be nothing other than vitriolic and looking for a fight.
A fellow past board member of GCPBA moderated their facebook page for a while, and told me of the horror stories he'd experienced with that, so i just never joined, much like carvedog won't go into the eddy any morel. From what I'm told, I'm missing out on exactly nothing, and contributing nothing for Mark Fuckerberg to sell, which is the sole reason for facebook. Gather data on people, track them into infinity, and sell that information. People all to often forget the Cambridge Analytica scandal. If one thinks it's not still going on, they are daft IMHO.

Every trip leader has the right to get the cleanest best fit of all participants. 21 days is a long time to be with folks you may not get along with. I've been there
I totally agree, I've been there, twice, and from internet trips. As I posted much earlier, GC tends to amplify personalities, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a not so good way. It certainly has changed the way I personally vet trips, and unfortunately has made me gun shy and causes me to push my ideas on the PH's, as I DON"T want things to go sideways as they have in the past. Makes for a truly suck ass experience.
As I posted above in response to Wallrat, the political thing is what drove this thread off the rails. Can't say in this day and age that there would have been a better way that came immediately to MY mind to do it, but you did post an alternate method that made a lot of sense, in retrospect. Problem is, especially in today's political climate, one can never be sure where anything with even the most remote chance of going sideways, will go, especially when politics is concerned. Hindsight is always 20/20

I have too much respect for him, and know him well enough that insults would be inappropriate. And he may have been right.
I as well respect you, and know you well enough, or I wouldn't have made that post;).

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming, 70 buck plastic buckets.. The comparison video posted was quite good..
LOLOL

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
The Buzz is no-longer private or self-sustaining.
If you think your $20 keeps Vertical Scope from mining your metadata, think again. It’s just not as large of mine as Zuckerburg’s FB Metamine.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
The Buzz is no-longer private or self-sustaining.
If you think your $20 keeps Vertical Scope from mining your metadata, think again. It’s just not as large of mine as Zuckerburg’s FB Metamine.
Interesting, I haven't found any trackers, and my packet sniffer isn't seeing anything untoward... I'll look a little deeper

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Well, FWIW, I looked at the tracker list in Ublock origin, the Buzz is one of the more benign sites I've seen for tracking.
Speedcurve.net, which is a site that improves the speed of the particular site you're viewing.
Cloudfare insights has one, from their website In addition to visitor analytics, you can monitor threats and search engine crawlers. For most websites, these threats and crawlers make up 20% to 50% of traffic. It’s traffic every website should understand, but most analytics services ignore.
Google tag manager, and no, I don't trust google but this particular one appears to be benign Get access to features like easy preview and debug tools, auto-event triggers, and a user-friendly interface to help you manage your tags.
and lastly, google optimize, which is a data aggregation tool, from their site Create custom landing pages for your Google Ads and convert more visitors into customers.

While I don't trust google, run linux mint as an OS, Firefox with ABP, Ghostery, https everywhere, which is now redundant as Firefox does this automatically, and Ublock origin which blocks all the nasties, including what I have listed above, nothing untoward by the way of tracking or data aquisition is showing up on MB..

Likely TMI, but you did mention it.

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Well, FWIW, I looked at the tracker list in Ublock origin, the Buzz is one of the more benign sites I've seen for tracking.
Speedcurve.net, which is a site that improves the speed of the particular site you're viewing.
Cloudfare insights has one, from their website In addition to visitor analytics, you can monitor threats and search engine crawlers. For most websites, these threats and crawlers make up 20% to 50% of traffic. It’s traffic every website should understand, but most analytics services ignore.
Google tag manager, and no, I don't trust google but this particular one appears to be benign Get access to features like easy preview and debug tools, auto-event triggers, and a user-friendly interface to help you manage your tags.
and lastly, google optimize, which is a data aggregation tool, from their site Create custom landing pages for your Google Ads and convert more visitors into customers.

While I don't trust google, run linux mint as an OS, Firefox with ABP, Ghostery, https everywhere, which is now redundant as Firefox does this automatically, and Ublock origin which blocks all the nasties, including what I have listed above, nothing untoward by the way of tracking or data aquisition is showing up on MB..

Likely TMI, but you did mention it.
Wow...all that tech, in a futile attempt to catch the Black Cat Mafia, and they’re foiled at every turn.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Wow...all that tech, in a futile attempt to catch the Black Cat Mafia, and they’re foiled at every turn.
Too many years as a network admin..
I guess my point to MT4 was that as sites that track and aggregate data to sell, the Buzz is benign, that I can find anyway.

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Registered
286 Posts
So we just going to let this slide?---> " It makes you seem even less intelligent and makes me hope your pfd gets hung on the oar tower when you flip in House Rock like the beater weekend garbage you are..."

This is the kind of boaters people intentionally invite on trips? This is absolutely unacceptable from a community that relies on safety from others when shit really hits the fan on the Rio.

This absolutely 💯 is the reason you vet your participants folks. I've been on a trip where someone actively tried to sabotage things. Could you imagine finding out on day 2 that one of the folks hopes you get entrapped under your boat?

People need to chill

·
Beginner
2,603 Posts
So we just going to let this slide?---> " It makes you seem even less intelligent and makes me hope your pfd gets hung on the oar tower when you flip in House Rock like the beater weekend garbage you are..."

This is the kind of boaters people intentionally invite on trips? This is absolutely unacceptable from a community that relies on safety from others when shit really hits the fan on the Rio.

This absolutely 💯 is the reason you vet your participants folks. I've been on a trip where someone actively tried to sabotage things. Could you imagine finding out on day 2 that one of the folks hopes you get entrapped under your boat?

People need to chill
Nice quote trim. Please note that the thing that makes me wish him harm is the insults to me, directly. I didn't sabotage anyone. I just wished waterboard torture against the piece of shit who insulted me. So tell me, how will it not slide? Something you're going to do about it? And safety shmafety. I save motherfuckers all the time. I've probably saved you. I teach safety. I help people help people. And I'm not on this trip, thank God...

I've been on this forum for decades. I won't be called names by brainwashed Trumpers without responding.

As for you, I hope you get rammed by a bighorn sheep and you forever have to pee sitting down. Gonna let that one slide?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nice quote trim. Please note that the thing that makes me wish him harm is the insults to me, directly. I didn't sabotage anyone. I just wished waterboard torture against the piece of shit who insulted me. So tell me, how will it not slide? Something you're going to do about it? And safety shmafety. I save motherfuckers all the time. I've probably saved you. I teach safety. I help people help people. And I'm not on this trip, thank God...

I've been on this forum for decades. I won't be called names by brainwashed Trumpers without responding.

As for you, I hope you get rammed by a bighorn sheep and you forever have to pee sitting down. Gonna let that one slide?

Wishing harm on someone because they insulted you? This is what is wrong with so many folks today. I will call out poor character anytime I see it. That's how I won't "let it slide".

To all commenting:
World Font Organism Adaptation Happy

·
Registered
355 Posts

This is EXACTLY the kind of person you don't want on your trip, ANY trip!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
Funny thing is, I didn’t insult you....until you started insulting me. Not that it’s admirable or anything. You took offense at my flippant comment about the jab, and got an attitude (post #3). That wasn’t a personal attack. Asking about political flags was meant as a jibe, and clearly a dismissive Trumper insult (post #9). I’m most definitely not a Trump fan, but that, and “ racist” are all you have in your toolbox. I’m really relieved I weeded you out of the list of guys that are going with us. Your mouth and attitude has, no doubt, kept you off many trips.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
This is EXACTLY the kind of person you don't want on your trip, ANY trip!
But apparently this particular version of "gods gift to everything' brainwashed libtard seems to think he has value, and is able to hurl various insults, while admittedly creative, insults none the less while remaining anonymous on a boating forum. Apparently it massages his ego in some unknown way.

I've run in various ambulance services for my entire life, and never once had to save a "Motherfucker"..

Must have a lot of them needing "Saved" in libtard land..

Actually, now that I think about it, there are a lot of libtard motherfuckers running around, and they vote, which would be how we got the Drooler In chief we have in office today..

Yes, likely I should have kept this to myself...

121 - 140 of 145 Posts