Mountain Buzz banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow, from time to time I check on MtBuzz for some info on a river I haven't been on, or perhaps I can answer a question regarding an area of expertise. Suddenly I find myself in a (what I imagine is)Facebook back-forth-rant. I have never been on facebook, for this reason. The nasty shit I see going back and forth has no place on a rafting site. Take it up on your private FB. So much for your neutral, premium member status, MNichols. Randdaddy and wallrat? step back, chill and act like a a damn adult, or at least a somewhat polite mature one, if you can. I will certainly limit my time on this site from now on, and am disappointed in many of you. Grow up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wow, from time to time I check on MtBuzz for some info on a river I haven't been on, or perhaps I can answer a question regarding an area of expertise. Suddenly I find myself in a (what I imagine is)Facebook back-forth-rant. I have never been on facebook, for this reason. The nasty shit I see going back and forth has no place on a rafting site. Take it up on your private FB. So much for your neutral, premium member status, MNichols. Randdaddy and wallrat? step back, chill and act like a a damn adult, or at least a somewhat polite mature one, if you can. I will certainly limit my time on this site from now on, and am disappointed in many of you. Grow up.
Mom? Is that you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well official stats say otherwise, tell us how many? Official reports say less than 250 children have died...
I have personally witnessed 4. One is to many. When you get you “official” stats from unreliable sources it just promotes misinformation. We are smaller PICU in Phoenix. Also sound scientific research is suggesting that vaccines provide better immunity than having had Covid. But we are still learning lots about this novel virus. We do for a fact know that vaccines have very, very few side effects and by FAR the people who are admitted now to hospitals are unvaccinated. I have spent shifts in the adult Covid ICU. That is a whole other world. It is fucking horrible. Believe the science , get the vaccine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Considering the vaccine was just approved for children in like what, the last week, your "data" seems pretty weak. All you guys blasting Wallrat's anecdotal personal experience, throw out your own anecdotal experience and call it science. Kind of like what the media has done in general.
All this hoopla about a "disease" that has an overall survival rate of nearly 99%, remove the high risk groups like age, and the survival rate is very nearly 100%.
Another anecdote, my 83 year old aunt got covid about a year ago, was mildly sick for 2 days and moved on. Sure seems like that is more representative of the norm, as opposed to the "we're all going to die" bullshit the media puts out.
But, you out there in fear of imminent death on a daily basis, keep wearing your useless masks while driving around in your own car. You make it easy for us that can still think for ourselves to know who the zombies are.
It’s been out for those older than 12 for quite some time but go ahead and rationalize your belief system anyway you want. It really doesn’t affect me until someone like comes into my hospital full of Covid and regrets. Then it is tough.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It is amazing how much this stuff pulls you in and makes you want to chime in but I'll save it for the campfire. I absolutely love animated conversations with folks on the river, when you have the time to truly hear what they have to say and wrestle with big ideas. It's not so fun or interesting to sit down and talk about why you agree with someone. I do hate that sinking feeling of realizing the person you are talking to is not open to any new ideas, new evidence, or new ways of thinking. Tough conversations on the river are not a new thing- read McPhee's "Encounters with the Archdruid" regarding the Floyd Dominy and David Brower conversations as they floated the river together. You can't get more entrenched than the ideas of those chaps but they found a way to talk and LISTEN. I hope that for our river community.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Shouldn't you all be word vomiting this trash in the eddy. Bunch of whinny little bitches
The thread was started to fill a trip vacancy...then, I’d have to say, it changed. I do believe that’s the right word for it.
But WTF, it’s not like you had anything else to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have personally witnessed 4. One is to many. When you get you “official” stats from unreliable sources it just promotes misinformation. We are smaller PICU in Phoenix. Also sound scientific research is suggesting that vaccines provide better immunity than having had Covid. But we are still learning lots about this novel virus. We do for a fact know that vaccines have very, very few side effects and by FAR the people who are admitted now to hospitals are unvaccinated. I have spent shifts in the adult Covid ICU. That is a whole other world. It is fucking horrible. Believe the science , get the vaccine
There was a recent large study in Israel that said that individuals who recovered from a Covid infection were better protected against the Delta variant than vaccinated individuals. You can read the study in Science magazine August of this year. The article is also pro vaccine because most of the hospitalizations are with unvaccinated people. I spent decades working in a very busy med-surg trauma, neuro ICU and I saw it all, neisseria meningitis, Hantavirus, aids, Influenza, SARS, and now Covid. They all suck and I would not wish them on anyone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah what an amazing tale. I’ve always been fascinated by pushing long stretches of rivers at high water and have dabbled a bit but that one redefines it. Not too many feats comparable in any outdoor sport.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
The thread was started to fill a trip vacancy...then, I’d have to say, it changed. I do believe that’s the right word for it.
But WTF, it’s not like you had anything else to do.
While the gist of what you write is true, the original thread {post} was most certainly politically charged, and to expect those of a differing political bent then yours not to turn it into a dumpster fire, was naive. I don't think it was posted with that goal in mind, but done none the less, and capped off with a shot across the bow of Georon's ship so to speak LOL. What's truly surprising is the lack of comment from him on this thread, which would have really turned this into a much more heated and out of control "discussion".

It turned into a politically charged anti / pro china virus post in posts number 4 thru 8, and went back and forth between you and others between politics, and medicine, with you all the time throwing fuel on the fire, until it turned into a full blown dumpster fire. To call it a "looking for trip participants post" is sorta disingenuous. Not that I disagree with your desires to have an all right leaning trip, but the way you went about it subsequent to the first post did little more than fan the flames.
So much for your neutral, premium member status, MNichols.
I do wonder however, why as a supporting member I am supposed to be "neutral" ?? Where the hell did that come from? I'm not allowed to have my own views on a subject simply as I support the Buzz financially? Do tell.. This should be interesting..

101 - 120 of 145 Posts