Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm planning a self support Grand Canyon Trip for this August and was wondering if anyone had any ideas/advice on best way to run your own shuttle? Was also wondering if there were any other groups launching on August 10th who we might be able to team up with on shuttle to keep costs down?

Any way to keep take out fees down at Diamond Creek?? (Unfortunately, because of time constraints we can't take out at South Cove)

All advice much appreciated?

Best,

Noah

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
There is not a classic way to run your own shuttle to Diamond as you are not allowed to park your vehicle at the take-out for more than 24 hours. In line with that reality is the fact there is no way to reduce the cost of the take-out in any meaningful way. Its a simple per head and vehicle cost.

You may be able to drop off a vehicle at one of the shuttle companies lots to save some $$ but that would mean almost a full extra day of logistics for a trip that is already logistically intensive. If I were you I would go with one of the many professional and reliable companies and just eat the minor $$ loss. Rig day and launching on the Grand is already one of the more complicated experiences and easing it with a little extra money is advisable.

I have only done 2 GC trips but I would never want to run my own shuttle for that trip.

Best of luck.

Phillip

·
Registered
644 Posts
Concur with Phillip on not running your own. However, Pearce ferry doesn't really take much longer (one day in kayaks) and has no takeout fees and may even be cheaper to shuttle to.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Agreed with Climdenali. There is also a shuttle service called I think River Runners Shuttle, or some such. We used them to shuttle once from Diamond to Pearce (long story) and there were very nice and I felt quite reasonable. If you contact the nice folks at Ceiba they can set you up with their info.
But yeah, it's like a whole day of driving in any case.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Forget DIY shuttles: Diamond Creek is not an option unless you want to pay (or have a VERY good friend) someone to come in and get you, and it's $65 per prson/vehicle/etc. It is "not recommended" to leave vehicle at Pearce and there's no place close that's safe, either. I've used River Runners Shuttles (used to be Wes Montgomery, believe it's his son or other family members now) and they are not only reasonable, professional and kind but offer secure storage at Meadview (close to Pearce).
Last suggestion is to contact one of the commercial companies that has a trip pulling off around your takeout day and see if you can work out a deal with them for transport at least back to Flagstaff. Most deadhead to Pearce and there's plenty of room on their rigs for some kayaks, IF you can work something out. Check various websites and call them - you might just get lucky.
It's another 54 miles from Diamond to Pearce, but right now rapids down to 234 or so and current all the way past the boat ramp.
Grand is not the place to go cheap...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts