Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my girlfriend down the Grand Canyon next fall on an 18 day private trip. She has been asking about a good guide book for the river trip, (hikes, maps, geology, etc.) What are your thoughts out there in Buzz-land?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
There's a hike specific book by Tom Martin also, at the River Maps website.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yep...both the tom martin books that are being recommended are good. I just got them myself as i have a trip in march and have just started looking through them. Lots of great info!

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Linda Lou Lindemann wrote the book with diagrams of each rapid. It's called Briefs for a Trip through the Grand Canyon or something like that. She's deceased and the book is out of print. I'd pick one up if you can find one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here's a link to many of the books already mentioned. Five Quail Books: Grand Canyon, Colorado River, Colorado Plateau out-of-print, rare and new books, etc.

Lindeman's book is there too. I have it and like it. Simple "sand drawings" of the rapids. Helps to not spend too much time scouting and overthinking the runs. Most are actually read and run if you know the basic layout of the drops. Of course I do recommend a quick scout if you haven't been there before, but my first trip we scouted only 3, Granite, because we camped there, Crystal, because we camped there, Upset and Lava. Buena suerte.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I will second There's this River for around camp. I just got off a trip and it was great to read short stories out loud during our layover days.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but are there any that help you plan a private trip in advance specifically? I too have a permit for 2012. I am looking for gear lists, food shopping menu ideas, timelines, etc....

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have "There's this River" its a great book. I am going to buy the Lindeman book and the Martin waterproof guide. Are there any out there that are about the geology from the river level (the girlfriend has a masters in Geology)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Linda Lou Lindemann wrote the book with diagrams of each rapid. It's called Briefs for a Trip through the Grand Canyon or something like that. She's deceased and the book is out of print. I'd pick one up if you can find one.
Linda Lou Lindemann's Rivernotes is back in print. Nice new waterproof design. It's not the very best guide, but good for a second resource. E-mail me for an excellent guide of the majors, and I'll send you the pdf.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Have you checked out the Rafting Grand Canyon WIKI? Here's the link:

Rafting Grand Canyon

Real people to contact with questions, and lots of pages with photos about all the components that make a Grand trip Grand.

All the best, tom martin

·
Registered
575 Posts
We used Tom's guide for keeping track of where we were and camps, but the Lindemann guide was clutch for what the upcoming heavies were like. One strategy I liked was to copy the Lindemann diagrams onto waterproof paper, remove the spiral from Tom's guide and merge the two.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts