Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing like last minute trips-- interested in feedback about cools camps in the grand canyon-- what are some of your favorites,, we are looking for camps with awesome hikes, ... something off the map?,,,

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great Hikes!

Hey rivergirl
I know a bunch of awesome, seldom seen side hikes with waterfalls, rock art
and cool hang outs!!!
But sorry have to show in person, got space?
ya right!
How was the Boat this summer?

·
Registered
60 Posts
They are all cool camps. We made it a point to try smaller, "off the beaten path" camps this spring. It was awesome. Not alot of mice or ringtails at them either.Lots of hiking, how adventurous are you?

Enjoy!

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
A sweet small camp, perfect for the Paco Pad slip n' slide, is Upper Lower Bass. It's just above Lower Bass, has a dope kitchen, and is right in an area where you might be either about to share a camp or go several more miles, as Lower Bass is popular. It was a small camp, but our group of 8 layed over there and had a great time, plus you can hike down to Lower Bass to harass commercial groups or party with other privates.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I really like Lava of Lava/Chuar (upper canyon, not Lava the rapid). Great canyon, short jaunt up into some crazy geo, a bit different than the typical canyon from what I could tell. It also is the bottom of the Lava/chuar loop, which is supposedly a great hike. I didn't do that hike, had to tend to my boat, but it sounded great and I'd like to do it someday.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There is a nice beach camp, no shade, right below Carbon with access to Carbon Canyon.

I've done the Carbon to Lava hike which is nice, but the hike above the river from Lava to Carbon which makes it a complete loop is no fun.

I hiked Carbon to the Butte Fault and then up Chuar Lava Hill my last trip which looks down on Lava Canyon and really enjoyed it.

I really like Lava of Lava/Chuar (upper canyon, not Lava the rapid). Great canyon, short jaunt up into some crazy geo, a bit different than the typical canyon from what I could tell. It also is the bottom of the Lava/chuar loop, which is supposedly a great hike. I didn't do that hike, had to tend to my boat, but it sounded great and I'd like to do it someday.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Ditto Blacktail. As a geologist, there's something really special to me about being able to put my hand right on the Great Unconformity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts