Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello River Wizards! Looking for advice for Grand Canyon! Launch 10/05 (I've been a few times before) Looking for cool hikes sort of beyond the normal hits. Any hidden gems? Also River Games?? (I've got badminton and Kuub) Looking for other ideas...also best booze list? Amounts? It's 24 days, 16 people. Best costume theme party ideas??

Any life hacks would be appreciated. Thank you for sharing your lore.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Light up bocce is pretty sweet. Most memorable hike for us was up thunder river and down deer Creek while the other half of the group took the rafts and made Thanksgiving dinner...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Pretty much a perfect time to be down there. With that much time you can do double or triple layovers. You can also get the camps that the motors usually snag. I like Granite and Bass for multiple hikes from camp. Blacktail is a special place. Run Crystal left!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cool hikes you don't see that much about: Eminence Breaks, 51 mile up and over to Little Nankoweap (could make a side trip to rim after you cross the saddle to the Little Nanko drainage, Nankoweap up and over to Kwagunt, Powell route to rim at LCR, Tapeats Creek to where it emerges, Keyhole Arch (bridge) at 140 mile, Kanab Creek and the others that were already mentioned.

It's my favorite time of year to do a trip. If the weather gets cold a pair of irrigation boots for camp are useful as is small backpack stove for a mid-day hot beverage.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Also River Games?? (I've got badminton and Kuub) Looking for other ideas
Butt Darts:
1. Object of game is to release a quarter into a cup(cup placed in sand on beach).
2. Quarter must be carried between butt cheeks for a distance of 12 feet---start line to the cup.
3. If quarter is dropped enroute to the cup, the player must restart and gets one more chance.
4. Can be played elimination-style with successively smaller cups for those who are left after each round.

Notes: If played naked---each person must have their own quarter. Style points can be awarded for unique ways of crossing the sand to the cup.

Butt darts (now with obstacle course!)

Indian Stick Pull

Stick game
Starting behind a line, each player is allowed to put one hand on the ground and reach out with the other hand to put a stick in the ground. Then must return to a standing position behind the line without touching the ground with the free hand or re-position the ground hand.
Following players repeat the process, pull the stick from the sand, place it farther from the line, and attempt to regain a standing position.

...also best booze list? Amounts? It's 24 days, 16 people.
ENTIRELY depends on your crew and the weather. If it's hot out, we can drink a lot of G&T's and rum. If it's cold out, people enjoy sipping whiskey.
Again, REALLY depends on your crew. I know of people who can drink 12 beers a day and stay functional, and some are happy with one drink a day, and some who drink nothing. Are you drinking on the river? Are you staying up until 2am around the campfire with beverages in hand? I drink about a 6-pack a day plus some cocktails...1-2 during the day on the river, but also go to bed early.

Best costume theme party ideas??
As for costumes, plenty of past threads in this forum.

60's, 70's, 80's, 90's decade parties all have easy and fun costumes/music. Formal night. Prom Nights. Pirates. Grab Bag.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Hike up Stone Canyon is magical

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Butt Darts ?? Really? That conjured up a mental photo of you that I could have gone the rest of my life not seeing...

·
Registered
33 Posts
A fun camp game is Polish Horseshoes (aka Frisbeener, Beersbee, etc). For river trip adaptation you can use two paddles, two partially smashed cans (beer cans work best) and a frisbee. The cans should be smashed into a shape so that they'll rest on top of the paddle's t-grip when it is standing vertically in the sand. Here's the wiki for how to play the game - Polish horseshoes - Wikipedia

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
We use a throw bag for the rope and no gloves. :)
Grabbing QUICKLY or not at all becomes part of the strategy!

I like the cans broadside, too...also a part of the strategy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you like rapelling and rope work, check out the book Grand Canyoneering. There are several technical canyons that you can loop from the river.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts