Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if they will be doing a high flow release out of Glen Canyon Dam this year? If so, do you know what dates, expected flows, and duration?


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
205 Posts
If and when a high flow release from Glen Canyon Dam into Grand Canyon is announced we will be sure to let everyone know about it.




GCPBA RiverNews is a service of Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association.
Join and Support GCPBA. Visit our website
www.gcpba.org.
We are on Facebook –
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1424392787831584
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Hi MountainMan, I asked Katrina Grantz about this the last day of August. She works for the USBOR and here is what she said:

"As of yet, no decision has been made. We typically don't make a final decision on whether to have an HFE, as well as the size, shape and timing until October, after the bulk of sediment has come in and been analyzed.

As of last week, we didn't have enough sediment to recommend a High Flow Experiment. However, since the last time the model was run, we have had two significant storms on the Paria, so we will be re-running our models this week.

If we do an experiment it would likely occur in the first half of November."

You are a luck guy to be launching or on the river when this happens. The HFE gets high enough to just make it into the annual high flow pre-dam range, though the HFE flow is at the very BOTTOM of that range.

I asked Katrina to let me know what the next model run says, so we’ll post that here when I hear anything.

Yours, tom

Tom Martin
Council Member
River Runners For Wilderness
PO Box 30821
Flagstaff, AZ 86003-0821
Hm: 928-556-0742
Mobile: 928-856-9065
[email protected]
www.rrfw.org
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Hi Mr. Lee, sadly, no such luck. This from the BOR "The anticipated release volume for September is approximately 710 kaf with daily fluctuations between approximately 9,000 cfs and 15,000 cfs. The expected release for October is 600 kaf with daily fluctuations between approximately 7,000 cfs and 13,500 cfs."
Yours, tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Probably Not

We've got a trip launching Nov 14 so I emailed to ask about the possibility of an HFE for this year. This was the response from Katrina:

Due to resource concerns, it is highly unlikely that the Department of Interior will conduct a High-Flow Experiment (HFE) at Glen Canyon Dam this fall. Although sediment conditions in the Canyon support a HFE, a concentrated grouping of green sunfish—invasive to the area—was recently discovered in a back water slough downstream of Glen Canyon Dam. There is concern that an HFE could disperse this harmful nonnative downstream into the Colorado River, posing a threat to native endangered species in the Canyon. While response actions are underway to effectively address the green sunfish problem, the timeline for doing so is not conducive to conducting an HFE in November 2015.


Hope you have a great trip.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top