Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience and/or opinions regarding Grand Canyon food and shuttle outfitters? I am aware of Canyon REO and PRO, but does anyone know of anybody else?

·
Registered
272 Posts
doing it the EZ way eh? : )

·
Registered
32 Posts
moenkopi

Check out Moenkopi Riverworks. They are a great company - very professional, with some of the best prices in town. Call Brady Black at 928-856-0012, or go to moenkopiriverworks.com.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I don't really have any experience with the others, but we went with REO this past March and the food was fantastic. We had more than we knew what to do with.....which was kind of a bummer because we had no choice but to throw a lot of it away. I gained a good 10-L-Bees on that trip just because I felt so badly about trashin' good eats!!! :p

We used a bunch of their gear too....top of the line stuff in excellent condition....plus the peeps are cool.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
WARNING!! I used Cocina del Rio for a four day food pack on the GC last year. I WAS MISSING 3 ENTIRE MEALS! Very disappointing not to mention frustrating and embarrassing.

While the food that was packed was well porportioned and tasty it didn't make up for the drastic oversight.

When I spoke to Karen about this after my trip she was very apologetic and did make financial restitution w/o issue. Granted, accidents happen but such a major mistake does not go forgiven easily. If it were just a couple of items or even 1 whole meal I might be more understanding, but failing to pack 3 whole meals is more than just an accident in my book, especially when she was hired to pack only four days worth of food.

I just thought that you should know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Karen here, from Cocina del Rio - I'd be glad to talk to you about what we have to offer, and despite what Reality Sheriff has to say, we have an excellent reputation and can offer references for you to talk to about the success and excellence of our service. We pack catered food, not just the ingredients, so you spend less time in the kitchen and clean up while you're on vacation. We also work hand in hand with Moenkopi Roverworks for shuttles and gear rental to make it as easy as possible for you.

Karen House, MA, LPCC
Cocina del Rio
Catering to River Rats
[email protected]
Cocina Del Rio: Food Services for the Colorado & Green Rivers
505-670-2585[/quote]

·
Registered
60 Posts
All the best intentions and references don't change my personal experience with Cocina del Rio. So in good conscience I cannot personally recommend this service.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
P R O

I was on a August-September 2005 GC trip with shuttle, food, and toilet service from PRO. We sent them our dates, # of boats, cooler sizes, and menu list (i.e. we chose our own food and they packed it and iced it in their coolers).

The only complaints were some slightly awkward packing schemes, with the day's cooks searching for items in several coolers. But on a 10- point scale, I'd give 'em a 9 on food. Tasty meals and reasonable portions.

They were on time, and had stout vehicles for the haul out of Diamond Creek, with good-humored drivers.

Next time out, I might go with a group decision to do food & coolers, but I'd probably ask PRO to do the rocket boxes and shuttle.

Seems like a well-run outfit.

yrss, Chip

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would highly recommend Scott and Ceiba Adventures for your gear and transportation needs. Scott is a great guy and very easy to work with. You can reach them via email at ceibaadventures.com or by phone at 928-527-0171.

·
Registered
3 Posts
in a heartbeat

I just came off 16 days in the Canyon. Used both Moenkopi (for boats/shuttle) and Cocina del Rio (for food). I came off the river with 16 happy people. Brady's boats and equipment are top of the line and he works his oars off to make sure you have what you need as well as what you want! Let your boat rest and use his stuff. Karen House does an outstanding job with food prep. Not only is it easy to prepare and clean up, but the recipes are unique and tasty. Every meal there was some WOW factor with either the marinade or the sauces or desserts or appetizers. And was it easy to deal with. Just follow the menu and you are set! I would use both of these companies again in a heartbeat! Highest recommendation.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Used Canyon R.E.O. and were very pleased. Meals were a bit too gourmet and time-intensive, but they would easily remedy that if you noted it. They did say that our group of 9 was about as small as they like to go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have used Moenkopi, Pro & REO. Brady @ Moenkopi is great. He has it all and will do his all to make your trip as easy as he can for you. He has all new equipment and if you shop around you find he has the chepest prices. REO and PRO are big companys that are there to get your money where Brady is there to make your trip a happy one. He is a true River Rat and can give you all the info you need for good hikes and camps in the ditch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts