Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this has been discussed many times over the years, but I was unsuccessful in finding a thread that talked to it (SO many GC threads). I did find this : http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/grand-canyon-essentials-37726.html but would still like to hear more ideas

I'm days away from leaving, and have covered more than the basic essentials, but I thought I'd throw it out and see what great ideas people have.

So, what critical thing do you bring on a GC trip, that is not typical to other trips?

T-6 days!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did I read somewhere your boats of choice will be the Class V cats? I thought about taking mine down in Jan. as they would be a total blast in the drops. You would own the big ones in those boats. I ultimately opted to go with the round boat due to the small cats piggish nature on flat water and sheer misery to deal with in upstream wind. Best choice of boats in my case. March is typically a windy time to be on the GC and this spring will be a low water float to boot.

To your question: I would be packing an extra tarp w/rigging to create a windbreak for the kitchen area. Hopefully, it would not be needed but meal prep in open wind sucks.

Have a great trip regardless.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Burt's Bees Hand Salve, a little vial of super glue for each person. Your hands just dry out, crack open and hurt. The Burt's bees applied liberally morning and night will help prevent it and the super glue puts it back together when it's not enough. Badger or Bag Balm work too.

Leather gloves for loading and unloading - again to protect your hands.

I thought my mini clothesline to dry stuff out was great to have.

Extra sunglasses for when you break them.

My friend gave me some Dermatome for lips and face - saved me.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mmmm, bag balm. What an excellent idea! I have 4 types of lotion/cream, gloves and socks for at night, and wear gloves while boating and rigging. Super glue, baby wipes, big hat, 4 types of sunscreen, the works. But bag balm has some sort of antiseptic properties, and I think that will be a great addition. Thank you!

Yes, a bunch of small cats, medium, and big too. I seriously thought about taking my raft, but thought I'd regret it if I don't bring the little cat at least once.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Muck/cement/rain boots. Warm dry feet at night even when you need to get stuff off the boats. And a lower chance of hurting yourself trying to avoid six inches of water (while going out to the boats) after drinking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Burt's Bees Hand Salve, a little vial of super glue for each person. Your hands just dry out, crack open and hurt. The Burt's bees applied liberally morning and night will help prevent it and the super glue puts it back together when it's not enough. Badger or Bag Balm work too.
I prefer the max strength or childrens Neosporen used as a lotion for dry hands to products that leave a greasy/oily feel to my hands (and those two products are more lotion based than the original greasy like Neosporen). If I have a cut or dry crack that's deep then I clean up properly at home after work, re-apply the neo, and whack on one of the name brand Band Aid tough strips/patches. I've tried the brand x' band aids, and the glue used just doesn't hold when wet, or when taking gloves off and on constantly all day.

Sure the Neo is more expensive than bag balm, but I work with my hands in the elements all day, and can't tolerate wounds that can easily get infected, last for weeks, or just simply hurt all day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Muck/cement/rain boots. Warm dry feet at night even when you need to get stuff off the boats. And a lower chance of hurting yourself trying to avoid six inches of water (while going out to the boats) after drinking.
I think that's all lhowe wears in camp anyway. That or crocs.

·
Registered
515 Posts
extra of the following
gloves, hat, glasses (seeing and sun), any good moisturizing lotion (do your feet in the morning and at night and you won't have cracks) extra warm cloths (for when it gets cold or you or some one else flips both on and off river cloths) hand and foot warmers, lots and lots of camera batteries and spare cards (solar charger is nice too), Pillow (bring your favorite), 100' parachute cord, knife/leatherman, double bag your sleeping bag, lots of sun screen (think positive), if you have the room a pair of goggles (it's spring and the wind does blow and there's sand everywhere) extra pair of what ever everyday foot wear (i carry a spare pair of chacos) warm booties for camp wear. books (trashable) 6 extra carabiners (real for the boats and small ones of misc small stuff) Several smaller dry bags are better than one monster bag. But I know folks who bring several monster bags too. spare tooth brush. Note all the boat women/men will look at all the stuff and swear they will not be able to fit it on and that it weights too much. By about day 10 they will start wondering if the boat will weigh enough to get through the bigger drops. Have fun
a major one: for women a pee bucket for men 2 wide mouthed 1 L nalgeen bottles for the same thing. These items are for your sleeping site so you don't have to wander down to the river and risk falling in or try to find the groover in the dark.
(17 trips in the ditch)

·
Registered
115 Posts
GC Goods...

*A bottle of Dickle (George Dickle Whiskey)

*Lots of beef jerkey

*Smoked Almonds

*Emer-gen-C

*A broken-in pair of jeans and a flannel shirt

*Techy quick-dry clothes/cold,rainy weather stuff/Lava gear

*A good pillow

*Paco Pad/roll-a-cot combo- best sleep you'll ever get!

*Extra pair of back-up Chacos

*Day pack for all the awesome hikes

*Comfy chair

* A willingness to:be patient(when tying up at Havazoo), leave your ego at the door(if you have one), flexibility, a strong back(for the wind), a good set of ears to listen to the wise, old canyon.

Have a great trip

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been thinking some more. The thing I didn't forget - I got a travel size foam neck pillow like the big ones - now I'm 48 so my neck ain't what it used to be - but that thing was a lifesaver and it punched down real small.

The thing I forgot, which was previously mentioned but one of those empty WIDE mouth coffee containers with a lid. You only need to try to pee in a nalgene once or better yet miss to appreciate a good pee bucket. I tried those little funnel things and apparently I'm not coordinated enough to make that work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know - I just go on and on, but as I read some of the other replies - Havasu is definitely a good stop, but what a cluster. Just be prepared with LONG ropes and lots of patience and you will be rewarded.

The other thing I loved was one of those buffs that you can use as a gaiter, head band, hair scrunchy, hat, etc. It was great for windy days - which there are many to keep the sand out of your mouth. I wish I had brought two as I lost mine during a swim.

As long as you are prepared it's OK but know that you will have sand blasted into every crevice of your body and it will be there for months. I used a tent and remember waking up in Grapevine with 3/4 inch of sand inside my tent even though the fly was on!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Prusik loop

I think my favorite piece of advice that was given to me before doing the Grand was to use a Prusik loop on your bowline at night. If they are fluctuating the flow it's an easy way to adjust your boat so you don't end up grounded in the morning. Of course, this only works if you're paying attention. It still got me our first night at Hot Na Na but after that I stayed on top if it.
095.jpg
Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the prusik loop on the bowline but I used about 8 feet of 4 or 5mm cord and tied it in a loop with a double fisherman's knot. When tying my boat up, I'd put in a sand stake, tie a prusik knot with the loop of cord around the bowline, then attach the prusik loop to the sand stake with a carabiner. The bowline is easily adjustable (as long as you don't let too much tension build on the prusik) and you can adjust it all well away from the water.

As a side note, most nights someone would attach a length of rope to the back side of all the boats (the end of the boat toward the river) for double safety. Probably not necessary but it was only a few extra minutes for some piece of mind that everything would still be there in the morning.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alphacyber said:
I think that's all lhowe wears in camp anyway. That or crocs.
Yea, but a foot problem has my pt telling me that i must wear real shoes. The horror!!!! I'll still have my crocs, they are such good camp slippers.

Have my own collapsable bucket for night-pee, yellow glasses as quasi-goggles, i even bought cheapo sunglasses so i wouldn't ruin my regular ones. A tiny whisk broom is packed- i am not fastidious but it sure is nice to be able to clear a spot for sand. I also got a camp end-table, so i have somewhere to set stuff out of the sand, esp useful for inserting contacts.

Am adding the neck gaitor too, they are also great with a baseball hat for added warmth. Fortunately with my little cat beaching is how i park it, but i like the prussik idea and will mention it to the rest of the group.

Thanks so much, keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
On long trips I always take along a medicine box with several types of cold and flu medicine, pain reliever including something strong like Vicodine, itch reliever, and a bottle of Amoxiciline. Mainly things from a drug store that you need for different sicknesses and such.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I especially like prussic's when non-boaters get assigned to boat floating duty in the middle of the night. I barely trust boaters to untie my boat. This way no one needs to mess with my knot, just slip the prussic. Worst case the boat ends up floating at the end of the bow line somewhere if a layman messes it up somehow or the prussic breaks, no biggie.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My last trip I took a small mushroom anchor with a bunji anchor line. My raft never was grounded by the tides. Take extra lip balm,it gets lost, ruined,or shared by someone you don't want it back from! Have a great trip.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts