Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Would anyone care to guess when a person is most likely to encounter clear water in Grand Canyon? I've been there in late August and early September, and the water was dense with silt.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, of course. But we all know that the river sometimes runs clear. Any cloudburst in a sidestream will bring in a silt load, and August is monsoon season, so that is the highest likelihood for silted water. But when is the highest likelihood for clear water?

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Woody or some of those LL people posted a TR from last year when they were there in, I wanna say feb. or march and it was as clear as i gets. Looked cool.

Course the two March trips i've done it was silty.

·
Registered
623 Posts
July we had crystal clear water the whole time except for 1 or 2 days near the LCR when it rained briefly. I'd say your best bet for clear water would be May-July until the monsoon kicks in.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
was there first of oct 2009 and clear as could be all the way from launch to Diamond takeout. Think the flow was around 8k round the clock.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi,

No silt from the impoundment above makes it to the river below the dam.

Look here Average Temperatures and Precipitation at Grand Canyon! and you'll see the average rainfall records that reflect potential input into the side streams. And of course if there is rainfall in the Little Colorado drainage a hundred miles away, that can put silt in the main river for weeks.

But in my experience, the best bet is spring and early summer.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think it is only dirty when mainly the Paria and the Little C flash. Sometimes others side streams can dirty it up for a bit but not long term. The Paria and the Little c run muddy during the monsoon which is usally from late June/early July till sept. It can sometimes be cleared up by late Oct. sj

·
Just making a joke. But I think you are right on with avoiding the monsoon season.

Yes, of course. But we all know that the river sometimes runs clear. Any cloudburst in a sidestream will bring in a silt load, and August is monsoon season, so that is the highest likelihood for silted water. But when is the highest likelihood for clear water?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Forty-one years of private and commercial experience here. I have been looking back over my pictures of trips and it looks to me like 80% of the time from April-July is clear, and 80% of August and September is muddy. Late September and October I have only done about 10 times but they have all been clear. Wouldn't you know that we drew out for a trip this year for August 25th. We are planning on silt and would be very suprised if it wasn't.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Do an upstream trip from lees to the dam. Youll get all the clear water your heart can handle. Better yet go float your boat around on lake powell, Thanks to that great dam all the silts down at the bottom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts