Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello folks! I have a permit on the Grand Canyon this year and I"d like to invite you!
About the trip:
This is a PRIVATE trip, and you are responsible for your own safety, craft,gear, ect. We rig Aug 15, Launch Lees Feery Aug 16, and have to pull out at Diamond Creek on Aug 31. (At Diamond Creek we can cut folks that need to get back to there jobs, but if you want to keep going... Here we will add wifes, friends, potentially another oar rig? for another five days down to Lake Mead). Plan on doing some deep ministry as well. For the first 8 days we will tell our story and our testimony. Why do you matter? What are you struggling with? Where are you going? Each man will tell his story, then lets go hands on and pray for him! I"m trying to work in a solo, to give you time to think and pray to God, not distracted by anything else! For the next 8 days I will ask each man to pray about what to minister to us, based on what the group needs. Please lead us in a bible study, or topic discussion. I feel its important that you speak to practice your voice of discipleship. We will build solid men of Jesus through rafting on the might and beautiful Colorado! I might budget 1500 for gear rental, food, permits, etc, I am trying desperately to keep this as cheap as possible and fighting to keep this below 1000. You are on your own for transportation of body and gear to Flagstaff, and yes carpools are great! I hope to run 2 oar rigs, and 6 hard boats, but I"m open to discussing something different.

About you:
I have no idea how many people this list serve will reach. Please be ready to discuss and pray about your attendance on this trip. While I"m happy to pray through this with you over coffee, or phone, or even email. Heres some things that I think might help you nail down your seat. 1.) Unwavering solid faith in Jesus Christ, and ready to go deep and vulnerable into your heart (and minister to others). 2.) Solid boating skills. Again this is a private, non guided trip. You're on your own. 3.) What experience do you have with first aid, swift water rescue, expedition boating/ expedition behavior, or cooking, photography, ect. Preference will be given to anyone who has been down the canyon before or commercial experience. 4.) Tell me a bit about yourself. I think its important on a trip like that we all get along, and that we have specific demographics that are able to minister to other demographics. For example, a college student disciples a teen much better than an old sage might as the college student is closer in life to the teen. Both grow in this relationship..I am curious about both your age/experience and were you are at on your walk with Christ.

About me:
I"m 31, and work for NOLS, Outward Bound, and Second Nature. I have guided commercially for 8 years, mostly in paddle rafts. I am praying about seminary, and worship in a baptist/non-denominational manner. I grew up Catholic, and only in the last 5 years have I contemplated the difference of relationship of Jesus, vs religion of Jesus. Questions: Please ask.

Please take time to pray about this, and seek if this the plan that God has for you. I would like to hear back from you by May 1st, however the earlier the better. If we both agree this is a good fit, I will ask a 400 dollar deposit from you to pay permit fees, and gear deposits. First come fist serve (being we are equally yoked). Thanks so much, and cling closely to Jesus!!!

Dean

·
Registered
222 Posts
how do you rate you group on the party scale...... this is often a factor on the Grand trips.

Light drinkers.... heavy drinkers? Just wine with dinner?

Is this trip 420 friendly? I know some guys from BV that won't even drive into the state of texas

·
Registered
84 Posts
About me:
I"m 31, and work for NOLS, Outward Bound, and Second Nature. I have guided commercially for 8 years, mostly in paddle rafts. I am praying about seminary, and worship in a baptist/non-denominational manner. I grew up Catholic, and only in the last 5 years have I contemplated the difference of relationship of Jesus, vs religion of Jesus. Questions: Please ask.
Dean, By leaving the Catholic church you have stepped away from Christ the Lord and the one and only true path as God set forth. I will pray for you to find Jesus again and I hope your journey though the big ditch brings you closer to your true self. Protect your hart and stay true to the word of our savior Jesus Christ. Do not be tempted to stray.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wow! Scary shit right there. Are we also required to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny to attend? I feel the canyon should be reserved for Muslims but frankly I can't tell the difference.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
Wow.
Talk about haters.
What's it to you, someone believes in God, or wants to carry the message?

I mean, it isn't like you have to go on the trip, or listen.

Just move on.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
If you are interested in taking your relationship with god to a whole new level I've got some supplements which can aide in mediation and prayer. Burning bush type experiences. This shit will open your eyes to the true nature of god. I'm quite familiar with the holy book and can probably teach a thing or two around the campfire. Very open to new ideas particularly if you are dangling a GC trip out there. Haven't been in a prayer circle in a while but I phoned it in for a few years so I know all the scripts. SWR, former guide, solid kayaker. 2 first aid kits, 1 for the body, 1 for the mind. I'll look for your acceptance notice in my inbox. Sorry for anyone else who was looking for the spot but I think it's been filled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dean, I'll send you an e-mail. I'm not sure if I can get off of work but sounds like a good trip. I'm a Christian with a lot of whitewater experience and have a 16' dory. Most of my trips have been mixed gender.
David

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Oh yeah I'll be bringing a lady friend too. We're not married but I asked god and he told me to check the scripture. "Love your neighbor as yourself" and I love myself a lot so I think it's all good. Put us down for 2.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Grand has been the scene of more than a few "I saw God" experiences over the years. Though this kind of trip isn't usually what comes to mind...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cut 'em some slack

It doesnt happen often but i'm with schultzie on this one. what a bunch of narrow minded haters you guys are turning out to be. who gives a flip about what kind of religious retreat down in the canyon somebody wants to do and if they wanted to just sit in nature and hang out you wouldn't say about about it. but if somebody wants to pray and not get totaled every day somehow you think they deserve to be made fun of.

open your minds and quit hating. they got as much right to do whatever they want as you do, even if its not what you think they should be doing. i may not agree with them but they got just as much right as any of us to do their trip any way they like.

later.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was not flaming or hating (some others were). I am truly curious about how that works from a philosophical stand point. To each his own... pray on.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
It doesnt happen often but i'm with schultzie on this one. what a bunch of narrow minded haters you guys are turning out to be. who gives a flip about what kind of religious retreat down in the canyon somebody wants to do and if they wanted to just sit in nature and hang out you wouldn't say about about it. but if somebody wants to pray and not get totaled every day somehow you think they deserve to be made fun of.

open your minds and quit hating. they got as much right to do whatever they want as you do, even if its not what you think they should be doing. i may not agree with them but they got just as much right as any of us to do their trip any way they like.

later.
Schutzie.

It's Schutzie, no L

See, I'm the Christmas Schutzie. No L. Get it?

Anyway, it's been awhile since I've seen this level of ignorant rude behavior going on around here. You'd think Ekim was proposing to require that coolers be drained daily. Or something.

In my opinion Glenn, cosurfgod and Mutt owe a sincere apology to Ekim. And they should be grounded.

No boating for you until July!

·
Registered
441 Posts

later.
First off, I will say that I think that folks should be able to believe whatever they want. If faith in some god or gods makes you a better person then that's great. But it is also acceptable to voice your opinion if you do not believe in a religion. Why is it acceptable for evangelical Christians to knock on my door every other weekend and tell me that I'm going to Hell, but it is not ok for others to point out all of the ridiculousness of their beliefs? Have you ever had someone knock on your door to tell you that there is no god?

The problem with this guy's post is that he is being exclusionary. I don't really care, but it is rude to post an invite on a public forum that only extends to members of a particular religion. What if instead of Jesus loving Christians, he was inviting only non-Jewish white people?

When I have a permit, I invite people regardless of their religion, race, gender, political views, or ethnicity.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
First off, I will say that I think that folks should be able to believe whatever they want. If faith in some god or gods makes you a better person then that's great. But it is also acceptable to voice your opinion if you do not believe in a religion. Why is it acceptable for evangelical Christians to knock on my door every other weekend and tell me that I'm going to Hell, but it is not ok for others to point out all of the ridiculousness of their beliefs? Have you ever had someone knock on your door to tell you that there is no god?

The problem with this guy's post is that he is being exclusionary. I don't really care, but it is rude to post an invite on a public forum that only extends to members of a particular religion. What if instead of Jesus loving Christians, he was inviting only non-Jewish white people?

When I have a permit, I invite people regardless of their religion, race, gender, political views, or ethnicity.
OK, now we're getting some brotherly love.
Of course a healthy debate about religion is a good thing; Christians and heathens debating their belief set can only be a good thing. Can't expect either side to convert, but it does make for a lively debate.

Now the thing is, this is an exclusionary invite; basically, come worship with us. Maybe Ekim is seeing an opportunity to do some soul saving. For sure there's a lot of potential soul saving work to be done around the place. Or, maybe he kind of wandered in, like the Christians into the Lions pit, and he's already cleared the first hill on the way out of town. Time will tell.

But I've seen some pretty exclusionary invites on this forum before; girls only, non drinkers only, drinkers only and so on. No one hate blasted them, just at most a yawn from the assembled members. Maybe a little good hearted fun poking. But I've rarely seen such disrespectful, rude, ignorant rants aimed at a newbie before. They could not have thought it would be cute or acceptable.

Now on to business; I'm a straight, Republican, fat old white male looking for invites. Mike, you got room for me?:D

PS
when the evangelicals come knocking at my door I ask em do they learn to read in school, and point to the no soliciting sign. Then I slam the door, cause you know, I'm a cranky old fart and I can do that.

PPS
No, never had anyone knock on my door to tell me there is no God, but once I had the devil show up after a particularly long weekend that involved experimentation with a gallon of particularly tasty Tequila and an IV hookup. Turns out, the Devil looks just like my wife when I've been an idiot. Although I will say, my wife has a nastier disposition than the devil when she's aggravated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm a straight, Republican, fat old white male.
That's great, but other folks here are left leaning liberal democrats that really support diversity and diverse thoughts. As long as you think exactly like me!!!
Schutzie - I always love your posts...

Like Rodney King said: "Can't we all just get along."

Also, I bet that this post was created just to see what would happen. Amazing results...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed0tK-3hezA

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is ridiculous....

Honestly who cares! Why go to so much effort to deny other peoples beliefs! If you saw this same post but it was for rafters or kayakers only instead of Christians I bet it wouldn't be an issue!

Also, and ekim correct me if I'm wrong, Christians are supposed to help spread the word of the Lord and if someone wanted to join this group that wasn't a Christian but is curious about the religion and generally wants to learn more about it, Jesus would want that person to be welcomed on the trip open heartedly. Jesus did not solely hang out with good people, he also hung around the sinners. This means this group is not exclusive of people but is for people who want to expand their faith and knowledge of the Lord.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts