• Hawaii (because its Hawaii)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am planning on going to grad school this year or next, but I can`t decide on a location would you all mind giving a vote as to where the best overall paddling town is?

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
This is a hard one to call, because you have to conflicting interests. Count on grad school taking up a lot more of your time than undergrad. Not sure what kind of program you're looking for, but most folks are buried their 1st year regardless. If you think you can manage the distraction year round, then Portland is probably a better choice. I went to grad school in Boulder, and the nice thing about that was that there was no real boating distractions until after school ended in the first week of May. That's the other consideration- when is your time off? If it's raining all Fall or in January / Feb in Portland, you're going to be buried in school. Peak water season is wide open in Colorado. I was able feed the Jonez by taking off on paddling trips on Thanksgiving and over Xmas too.

Bonus: cheap season passes for Colorado skiing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tough choice...

So... which of these locations actually offers the best program for your proposed major?

And do you want to take into account other factors such as climate, # of sunny days per year, tuition, geography, night life, ease of commuting by bike, cheap rent?

Not sure if your major is offered but have you considered Boise, ID?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
The best grad schools in CO are DU and CU. Daniel's at DU is ranked in the top 20 in the country, and CU's Leeds school has a great entrepreneurial program. Both schools have close access to great boating.

You should definitely consider the University of California school system and look at campuses in the Northern part of the state.

University of Virginia's Darden School of Business is in the top 5 in the country and has great boating - good luck getting in. Just buy a building and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey just wanted to thank everyone for posting. I am actually planning on going to school to get my PhD in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine)--ya ya... I know its sounds new agey, but hell...its fixed popped shoulders, colds, habits and god knows what else for me.

As far as the best school goes: Portland has the top ranked school in the country and its close to BC, NC has the Green :twisted: , and Colorado was where I was born and raised (not to mention wicked ski/water seasons).

Thanks for everyones input though!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got to think back east.....

Big Shout to FSU (Frostburg State Univ) ::))

..........and you can't forget West Virginia Univ !!

We kayaked 360 days a year while we were in school, or I was in "grad school!"

·
Registered
67 Posts
and sorry, but I'm not sure you could call Denver/Boulder a real "paddling town"??? Sholdn't year round water be a qualification?
sorry, just IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts