Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Does anyone know if this would affect a westwater launch we have Friday?
Time to start calling the BLM and river office. There is a good chance you will not be allowed to launch if it shuts down. We were at Table Rock lake when the first shut down happened years ago. The camp grounds around the lake are owned by the army corp of engineers. They shut down and chased off everyone camped in them. We were lucky to have rented an airbnb with a take out ramp, or we would have been forced to leave too. The second shutdown caught us at Lake Powell. They came and found us on the lake and made us leave. The last few fall trips to Powell had us researching when the next shutdown could occur and planning around that date. Good luck as this really really sucks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
They shut down and chased off everyone camped in them. We were lucky to have rented an airbnb with a take out ramp, or we would have been forced to leave too. The second shutdown caught us at Lake Powell. They came and found us on the lake and made us leave.
The government spends more during a shutdown because of this shit. And who does it impact most - you and I. This never occurred prior to 1980, now it is a political football. Sad.

I empathize with the boaters that will loose their trips if this happens.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It was quite liberating running an unnamed permitted river last year with a cancelled permit shortly after the rona shutdown. Complete solitude.... aaaaahhhh
that's quite a different situation. Not sure how that applies to a government shutdown, but glad you got your kicks in solitude.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This has my attention too. I'm curious how a shutdown will affect national forest access since the first rifle season for elk opens in CO in a few weeks. Any incite?

Matt

·
Registered
57 Posts
Shutting down the government during a pandemic, does depravity have no bounds for the Repugnicans? It's both figuratively and perhaps more literally sickening...not that these clowns even pretend to care anymore about who they hurt or kill, so long as it spitefully "owns the libs" and feeds the Faux News churn.

I'll be curious whether the same folks on here who rail against the Dems for ethereal problems are even capable of acknowledging whose actually responsible for these losses of river trips/permits/access. My guess is...no

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Time to start calling the BLM and river office. There is a good chance you will not be allowed to launch if it shuts down. We were at Table Rock lake when the first shut down happened years ago. The camp grounds around the lake are owned by the army corp of engineers. They shut down and chased off everyone camped in them. We were lucky to have rented an airbnb with a take out ramp, or we would have been forced to leave too. The second shutdown caught us at Lake Powell. They came and found us on the lake and made us leave. The last few fall trips to Powell had us researching when the next shutdown could occur and planning around that date. Good luck as this really really sucks.
Just got back from Powell doing some sea kayaking. Glad I got my trip done before the shutdown.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
This has my attention too. I'm curious how a shutdown will affect national forest access since the first rifle season for elk opens in CO in a few weeks. Any incite?

Matt
Elk hunting will be great but the access will suck. Packing your game out will definitely take alot longer depending on where you can set up camp and park you vehicles. Get there a few days early and steak your claim. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Matt
The answer lies with CPW. Call them up. I bet that since it's a state run entity, you'll be good to go. It shouldn't effect the game warden's, but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Just know that if you are "running an unnamed permitted river" after a shutdown - if access is closed by the administering agency/department (NPS, BLM, USFS, etc.) - law enforcement ("LE") personnel are deemed essential and not/not furloughed. That means they're on duty, often with less to do... since most visitors won't visit.

There's a long, sad, stupid history for Grand permits. Some years NPS has blockaded the road into Lee's, a few times causing justifiably angry folks who've spent a ton of time and money to prepare their trips to get into very personal confrontations with the rangers (LE personnel). Not a healthy situation for anyone...

You might get away with visiting "closed" public lands during a shutdown (MFS? Rogue? RHT-WW?) but if you do get busted be aware you will have to spend time&$ to contest any charges and it can be an expensive and lengthy process.
Yes, they are our public lands. We should be able to visit/use them, and we can - but when "the Government" shuts down, that doesn't suspend its ability to manage/administer/police access.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Being knee deep into the "not getting any younger" category our group decided to say screw it, let's go! We were well aware there could be consequences. It will go down as a top most memorable river trip of our lives

·
Registered
69 Posts
Happy for you - any "most memorable" is worth doing!
It is and it was, thank you. Sometimes increased age doesn't equate to increased wisdom but wtf. We decided it was best to turn off any music and keep our mouths shut whilst rowing past a popular access. It was probably laughable watching 6 fully rigged boats row past the access, lined up in a row, everyone crouching low (wide eyed and giggling) in full view for 100s of yards.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Who knows about most permitted river areas...but last time the Government shut down, the state of Arizona said they would pay to keep Grand Canyon National Park operating. Obviously the COVID shut down was a thing too...but that wasn't due to lack of funding but because of quarantine/public health procedures.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Shutting down the government during a pandemic, does depravity have no bounds for the Repugnicans? It's both figuratively and perhaps more literally sickening...not that these clowns even pretend to care anymore about who they hurt or kill, so long as it spitefully "owns the libs" and feeds the Faux News churn.

I'll be curious whether the same folks on here who rail against the Dems for ethereal problems are even capable of acknowledging whose actually responsible for these losses of river trips/permits/access. My guess is...no
We are almost 30trillion dollars in debt.... shut the whole damn thing down until these asshats (both sides of the shitbird) figure out how they are going to actually pay for anything. I could care less about a few permits or access. eventually someone has to pay for all this. People need to stop financing our shit off my kids future labors. It's like running up a credit card that your kids have to pay off after you die.

On a side note if there is a guy that can stand at the road into Lee's and tell you, "you shall not pass" then his ass can sit at the launch ramp and sign your permit and check your gear... no excuses for this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts