Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I need to get some gear and I was wondering if you all would lend me your expertise.

Drysuit-godamn expensive. Looking at the IR DD and the Kokatat GFER. My only concern is that since these come with booties that my feet won't fit (size 12). Any experience with either pros cons. The NRS extreme is also a choice just cause it is cheap, which makes me worried that it is CHEAP.

River shoes-something that I can hike in and be comfortable in. Do they even exist or do I just wear my play booties and pack a pair of shoes in my boat.
P.S. Right now on ebay there is a size 9 pair of Nike ACG Toketees for bid. Get them now.

Dry float bags-anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Yo Pops.

Go with the kokatat. Check the sizing page that they have on their website. I think size 12 is no problem for feet. I am size 11 and my booties have plenty room to spare.

Its an investment, and worth every penny. Wear it on a day like yesterday at Gore and you will have no doubt that its worth every penny.

Not sure about the shoes. I've been wondering as well. Looking for something with more support, but still good traction.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deep,
So you have extra room in your booties because I would probably need a large Drysuit which comes with medium booties which go up to size 11 on their chart. Also do you have a lot of water getting into your boat because there is not a skirt tunnel correct?
Thanks

Oh I have been looking at the Keen Hood river Boots (not the shoes) dont know how well they stick but Sierra trading post has them for 50 buck right now.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have the Palm Torrent, Nike ACG's, and watershed dry bags in the rear. It's a great setup.

As for the feet, I'm ~9.5 in size and I fit them inside my ACG's when I paddle.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey, not sure if they still have any left, but I just got a Kokatat GMER from Outdoorplay for a GREAT price. I am 6'3" 190lbs, size 12 feet. The XL fits me really well in the shoulders, legs, and feet. There is a little bit of extra fabric around the waist, but I had tried the Large and it was tight in the crotch and short in the arms and tight in the shoulders. I saved almost $350 at Outdoorplay. Had been chatting with Kokatat about a custom-lengthened Large, and it was going to run ~$1,200. Got the XL for like $675 new, '07 model. You'd have to check their website. I got mine and my gal's new one in 3 days. If you're a kayaker, you definitely want the GMER, not the GFER. No sprayskirt tunnel on the GFER. One thing about the NRS suits: I tried several on, and the damn entry zipper runs over the bicep of your right arm instead of up over the shoulder. Really bugged me when I simulated paddling in it. The Kokatat is definitely better designed and seems a lot more comfy. The GoreTex socks were plenty big on both the L and XL for my 12 feet, and they slipped in to my Patagonia Playboots reasonably well. Have never had the GoreTex socks before. I have an old Kokatat non-GoreTex with no peezip that I've worn for at least 16 seasons, so the price averages out pretty good if you're gonna get that much use out of it. Of course, I probably only wore it maybe 15-25 early paddling days each year, but it was a godsend every one of those days.
I bought two pairs of the Patagonia playboots at SierraTradingPost.com when Patagonia was closing them out. Had another pair that lasted 5 seasons (with some minor repairs) of trips to CA, trips down the box, lots of scouting and hiking and portaging. Still think it might have been the best river shoe ever made, although some people had theirs wear out faster than mine did. Not sure if you can still find them anywhere, but think they are worth a look.
Good luck on the dry bags. I have another post going about that issue right now, and most people are recommending the Watershed Futas. Heavy bastards, but people say they stay dry in the shit. Guess it's a tradeoff. My Bruneau Bags from CKS (no longer made) were the bomb. Light, dry, easy to pack and see what you were packing. If you find something better than the Futa's I'd be interested in hearing about them. Hope this helps.

So I need to get some gear and I was wondering if you all would lend me your expertise.

Drysuit-godamn expensive. Looking at the IR DD and the Kokatat GFER. My only concern is that since these come with booties that my feet won't fit (size 12). Any experience with either pros cons. The NRS extreme is also a choice just cause it is cheap, which makes me worried that it is CHEAP.

River shoes-something that I can hike in and be comfortable in. Do they even exist or do I just wear my play booties and pack a pair of shoes in my boat.
P.S. Right now on ebay there is a size 9 pair of Nike ACG Toketees for bid. Get them now.

Dry float bags-anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dammit Wyo, they are out of GMERs. I would have snagged one right away. I am about 6'2 185 soaking wet so it sounds like I need to go with an XL on kokatat products huh?

Scotty, thanks for telling me you have the Nike ACG's it is only helpful if you have a size 12 pair lying around. How do you like that Palm? Is it the stikine? Is not having booties a problem?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Payette Bootie

You might want to check out the Payette Bootie

A little better availability than the Tokatee as it's brand spanking new and in stores now. CKS, Confluence, Rendezvous, Taos Mountain Outfitters, and Four Corners all carry it here in the Rockies. Not sure about the Pac-NW zone, but I'm sure it's in a few stores out there too.

And yes, the Five-Ten Canyoneer is one bad ass piece as well.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I looked at the kokatat website and saw that the M booties on a L suit say that they go up to size 11. I wear 11 shoes and I feel like my booties are huge and have lots of extra room, at least a size or two more. I have to pull the slack on the booties up my ankle when putting on river shoes. Not sure why the difference. Kokatat can probably put L booties on an L suit if you order it from them. It can take them a bit of time to get your order on the production line.

5-10 canyoneers look awesome. I wore some of the old ones on a canyoneering trip and the rubber on the soles was the stickiest I have ever felt on wet rock. Anyone in Denver sell these?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would suggest either the Fast Canyon of Floodtide from Mion. There is a link to their website in my sig. You can get them at the Mountain Chalet in Colorado Springs, most REIs, or Amazon.com.

The shoes are both the sturdiest on the market and are great creek booties. The floodtides can also be useful for play in rough areas although you might have trouble getting em in a play boat at size 12.

Mion will be releasing a sturdy play bootie this spring.

David

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
Those 5 ten look hoss but they don't look like they want to be comfortable in your boat?
oh they're comfortable, but i'm not jamming my dogs into a playboat. i haven't had them that long, but long enough to put them through their paces on some bushwhacking missions & some portages around landslide on robe. they have held up & i'm confident they'll continue to hold up.

the buckles? they're just like any other plastic strap with holes & a metal peg that goes into it kinda thing .. only tougher. they don't get caught on anything.

good luck finding them in an actual retail store. i got mine online for about a $100.

·
Registered
846 Posts
15% off through today

If you are going to buy a drysuit, you might want to consider charging it up today, unless you have a hook-up. Aldercreek.com has all apparrel, drysuits included, 15% off through today. They have the the Kokatat GMER and also the Palm Torrent. Just wanted to throw that out there, because the Kokatats are not on sale that often.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have bitten a bullet and it hurts. I am the proud owner of a Kokatat GMER. Ooh it stings when I say that. I also picked up some Keen Hood River Boots (not the shoes) cause they were $50. If they suck traction wise I needed a new pair of playbooties anyways.

So as far as dry float I am looking at the Wildwasser Overnighters (Large). Anyone have experiences with these? Bueller?

P.S. ACC is correct, the alder sale is the cheapest I could find them and I think I got the last Cobalt XL. Get them while they are hot. $828 free shipping (mine already shipped) no tax

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
I have had the overnighters for years. The ones that double as float bags. The roll top closure is ok, but not like a watershed. As float bags left unchecked the air doesn't stay for more than a few days. As a dry bag they tend to stay pretty dry, but there is always a little water at the top, that takes some confidence away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts