Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove up and ran the Upper Eagle Saturday. Went to run Gore Creek today (yes its very low, but it was enough to float and I had never seen it) and we got a couple miles down from the East Vail exit and there was a sign hanging from a bridge saying:

Warning! Creek is closed to boaters by Vail police ordinance. Take out now!

This bridge was is the middle of a golf course and private property and we didn't see any hazards, so we kept going. When we got to the bridge at the Betty Ford park there was another sign hanging over the river.... We got out because we didn't want to boat into anything bad, or get a ticket. Walked up to the bus stop and waited 45 minutes for a ride back to East Vail.

Turns out there is construction going on the covered bridge and there is equipment in the creek.

We did not see a sign anywhere on the bank at access points, only once on the water.

Just a heads up, we waisted a bunch of time. Did end up catching the Minturn run on the way home though...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the warning.

Some more info found via Eagle River Valley Boaters facebook:

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=920b988ede8a0ae5083077658&id=106f3c004f&e=61f9aea457

"(Vail)—Gore Creek has been temporarily closed to boating from the Pulis Bridge, located at the intersection of South Frontage Road and Vail Valley Drive, west to the down-stream side of the Covered Bridge..."

"All Gore Creek boaters are permitted to launch their watercraft on the down-stream side of the Covered Bridge via the pocket park on the south side. No other use restrictions are in place on Gore Creek"

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How was that minturn run? I take it you were kayaking?....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Its quite fun. 250 is plenty of water to kayak it. Personally I think it has more action and more character than the upper Eagle.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eagle River goes=

Source - Camp Hale to Red Cliff

Gilman - Red Cliff to Tigiwon

S - Turns - Tigiwon to Dowd

Upper Eagle - Dowd to Avon (or Edwards)

Lower Eagle - Avon/Edwards to Eagle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts