Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to make sure everybody knows this going down! The BLM just green lighted the permit for the proposed whitewater park near the Pumphouse Campground :mrgreen: Just picture it now... a day of high water Gore followed by a boat swap out for some big wave surfing! Are you kidding me? Best day ever!

For more info here is the article on the AW page.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Excited this will be moving forward and especially about the co-benefits for flow protection! Nice work to everyone involved and THANKS!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Questions

Do the flow guarantees depend on putting a whitewater park, or would the flows be there even without the park?

Is there an existing feature/structure already impacting the channel where the park will be built?

Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes, can't wait for this. Finally a good late season play spot. Hope it will be tuned for average flows for Aug-October.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
447 Posts
Do the flow guarantees depend on putting a whitewater park, or would the flows be there even without the park?
I've been wondering this too, looking at historical flows and being in the area a lot throughout the year for a variety of reasons I believe the answer is yes.? Any one care to say why the answer is no... does this keep other interests from acquiring the water in future? The flows stay up in the fall even peaking in bad water years as water that is already there is called for late in the year for agriculture, there also is a power plant downstream.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Re: the water right-

1) An engineered structure has to be built to perfect the water right. The water right is only conditional until the structure is built. No whitewater park = no RICD.

2) The water right will not put more water in the river. It will allow Grand County to object to future upstream diversions that would lower the river level below the RICD flows.

·
Vendor
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

We broke ground last Friday on the new Gore Canyon Whitewater Park along the Upper Colorado River! Officials from the BLM, Grand and Eagle Counties, and the Colorado Water Conservation Board joined us in recognizing the vast amount of political maneuvering and work that have gone into this amazing project over the past several years. With a ribbon-cutting scheduled for July 2015, this project will secure legal protection of flows in the Colorado River, not to mention create more opportunities for boaters of all abilities and ages!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts