Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run Gore a few times, but nothing below 1000cfs. As we all know this year's water levels have left many boaters wanting. Gore has finally started jumping, reaching the lower 800's briefly. It has been lingering around the 650-750cfs ranges. My question is, since I have limited knowledge at lower levels and to be honest getting very anxious to be on the water, what is the lowest one could get our 14foot Hyside down river? I've read 700 and up is doable? is that correct?

·
Registered
786 Posts
700 is plenty of water for your raft. Go run it now. I doubt its gonna get to 1k this year - maybe if we are lucky. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome, I think we are looking into running it the 30th. hopefully there is at least 700 then. thanks for your replys, i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you have never done Gore it is well worth the drive,
BUT, this year you will have many more options in Idaho!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Seven-hundo is doable. We made a complete R2 descent in a 9' raft the other day @ 700 and I think the usual 13 and 14'ers will go.

Applesauce is saucier than usual... most of the water is going left of the rock instead of over it and to the right. Also, there is a wicked garden of blast rocks over on the left that look rather heinous. The raft line is still right of the rock, but it is more difficult to get over there. Definitely scout Applesauce as going left could be consequential. Apparently there was a commercial foot-entrapment there about 10 years ago at this level: American Whitewater - -SecurityGadget-explain

In Gore, run left of Indecision. Scissors is an awesome boof for kayakers. The usual far-left line in Pyrite has a very unfortunately placed FU rock in it. I would suggest running Pyrite down the center of the three doable channels... maybe you wanna take a look at it... Tunnel is different too. There's really only one chute that goes and it is center. Definitely scout Tunnel as going river-left here could be very bad. Toilet Bowl is its usual self and Kirschbaum's is a little more serpentine than usual... still read and run.

Still thrilling, still challenging, still Gore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts