Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buzzards,
At the beginning of my paddling season I said I wanted to get Gore under my belt this year and unfortunately my window to do that is quickly closing. I have a few questions I was hoping to get answered...

1. At this flow around 900 is the sneak still in for Gore Rapid?

2. I watched a lot of videos of Tunnel and am wondering how difficult the move is to hit tunnel over the rocks right of center? ( I have heard the scout/ portage of Tunnel is more dangerous than just running it)

3. Would a dry-suit be recommended for this late season run?

Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
The line to boof off the rocks on the right of Tunnel is harder to make running it straight though than it may look from the videos, just so you know. Some folks will catch a river left eddy and peel out to try to hit that rock-boof, but remember that the risk is that you miss the boof and/or come off with less speed and land off-angle in the stickiest part of the hole (river right). Then the beatdown will commence; and you'll be looking for a rope, or Jesus, or both.

I'd wear a drysuit for sure, but then again, I'm the puss that wears his drysuit in the middle of July. I like having it just in case I have to get in the water for a rescue, or if I swim.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You also should know that 970 is one of the worst possible flows for Tunnel.
It's much cleaner and flushier from 1,100 to 1,500.

But other than Tunnel, 975 is a terrific flow for a first Gore run.
Go get it this weekend.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will not go to gore until I have it set in my mind that I will run everything. I should have said, I have heard it's very difficult to scout Tunnel.

So the left of center on tunnel is the lest sticky part even though everyone that gets of angle ends up being pulled to right of center?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Scouting Tunnel is not hard. Portaging Tunnel is not hard, or dangerous. I can do it, and I suck at portaging. Easiest of all is running Tunnel, there is a giant pool after the drop so swimming is no biggie. Gore and Kirshbaums are much nastier if you swim.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Here's the deal - Both Gore and Tunnel are very portageable and easy enough to scout. Yes you will need to carry your boat over rocks (some are sharp) and on uneven ground to make the portage - if you aren't up for that you probably shouldn't consider this run (or most class V runs). I also have to say that if you aren't comfortable with the idea of going down a run, looking at the rapids - and then making a choice about both line and your ability to execute that line, then making a decision about portaging - you probably aren't ready for Gore and other runs of similar difficulty. Nothing wrong with pushing your boundaries - but it's a bit foolish to commit to running rapids that you haven't seen that may be above your skill and/or comfort level on a given day.

The center left side of Tunnel is flushier and there is a "sneak" line far far left that is sometimes in for kayakers. The water in the lead in to Tunnel is pushy and pushes left at the lip of the drop. Follow a guide or scout it.

Also know that Kirschbaum's is still below Tunnel and that rapid is long, technical and a long portage -not to mention Toilet Bowl. Dress for cold air, cold water and a long day - yes a drysuit would be a great choice but not mandatory. Things will go smother if you find a someone to guide you down. If you don't take a guide add hours to the descent plan - you will probably scout a lot of horizon lines and the Canyon will get dark early. But it is a real adventure (with real risks) to run something like Gore without a guide the first time and figure it out for yourself.

Gore is a great place and the home of many great memories for me - some of which are quite humbling. Treat it with respect and remember that it will still be there next year.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I will not go to gore until I have it set in my mind that I will run everything. I should have said, I have heard it's very difficult to scout Tunnel.
Why the need to run everything? Many first timers portage gore and tunnel. Many gore paddlers regularly portage tunnel. A good attitude for a first run on gore is that you can run IV/IV+ on verbals and following lines, and that you should be ready to scout/portage gore and tunnel. I walked tunnel most of my first season on gore. There is no rush... it will be there. Don't let ego get the best of you. There have been epic beatdowns in both gore and tunnel and its not wise to make up your mind if you will or will not run a rapid without seeing it in person. Keep an open mind and make smart decisions on the river.

Its not difficult to scout tunnel. You can see the entire rapid. The issue is that the scout is deceptive. The lead in is always faster and pushier than you think, and there is a stong right to left cross current at the lip than catches paddlers off gaurd.

A drysuit is not mandatory, but good cold weather gear should be. You are a long way from the road and the water is getting cold this time of year. Its a good idea to have a good safety kit as well.

Yes there is a big pool below tunnel, and swims out of the hole are usually mild. The more significant hazard in my mind is blowing the line and having a high speed encounter with a very large rock. Don't underestimate tunnel or think the consequences aren't there.

Good luck.

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
I think your attitude is perfect. Just be able to change your mind once you scout.

My only advice: scout tunnel on the left. The trail is way easier over there.

Go big.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I agree. It's silly to not do a run because you have to portage something. Many classic runs would never be run. The tunnel scout and portage are pretty easy in the grand scheme of things.

OP seems to have the drop a little confused. The center is the worst part of the hole. You can run a far right line whereby you can avoid the main hole. It has a technical pinny entrance, but if you negotiate the entrance you will have no trouble boofing the drop and avoiding the hole. jennifer used to run this line all the time and made it look pretty damn good.

Most people just try to boof a little left of center because it gives you the most fun line and seems on par in terms of difficulty with the other lines. Tunnel really has no good "sneak". I think the are good reasons to walk tunnel. The hole thrashing could wreck havoc on a shoulder and many people toy with the rock to the face move after getting pushed far left.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I was mistaken about tunnel, like I said I was under the impression that Tunnel was something you had to run blind and follow someone. When I can scout something I feel about 200% more comfortable... add following someone's line down and I am as comfortable as it gets.

If I didn't respect gore I wouldn't be asking these questions, I have an immense amount of respect for it as I set it as my pinnacle run for the year.

Thanks for all the great beta guys, I think I will be dropping in within the next two weeks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Scouting is easy, portage isnt bad.. and if you decide not to walk Gore & / or Tunnel.. that run is still an awful lot of fun.. Have at it !!!!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You can scout everything and portage everything. Most people scout Gore and Tunnel their first time down. Some scout Applesauce, Scissors and Pyrite depending on ther comfort level. You may be thinking of Toilet Bowl which most people don't scout, they just follow someone through the sneak rout which is a Class III move. But you can scout that too if you want to. Most people don't scout Kirschbaums just because it is the longest rapid and mostly read and run with eddys to catch for a confident IV+/V- paddler.

·
Registered
168 Posts
go with a good crew, they won't mind if you want to scout. I personally think the stuff in-between the big rapids is the funnest stuff. have a good time, wish I was back in CO and could run gore again!

·
gOtTaGokAyAkn'
274 Posts
Gore canyon is Fun! Scout @ Gore rapid through Pirate. You can run the Gore stretch many different ways...identifying your swimming options is very important. Do not swim a long while with your paddle, if you can't make an eddy quickly with your paddle ditch it promptly then swim the hardest you've ever swam upstream in the slack water and fairy yourself to shore. When you get to tunnel it's up to you...If you charge it with a good delayed boof anywhere besides the left 1/5 "piton undercut sneak corner" you will probably flush out, if you don't have speed you will surly be destroyed...if you get stuck in tunnel be patient it will eventually flush you out the right side...use your offside roll (left side) if your bow is pointed towards river right. The other option is to pull your skirt because chundering water is scary, then the hole will gather you & your gear and deposit the shrapnel in the simple self-rescue eddy. Next is toilet bowl; I suggest scouting and finding your line or running the sneak as far river left as you can possibly get. If you go into the hole pull your skirt and tuck into a ball keep your eyes open and enjoy the fade to black before you resurface 20' downstream...K-Bomb is the next rapid it's a river-wide read and run blast of Fun! Relaxing paddle out...then rush back for a second lap...I would take you &/or anybody who's willing to put themselves into Class V down the steepest section of the Colorado anytime...dry suits are overrated; dress for cold air and cold water...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Eddie, what flow was that video shot at? I usually head into tunnel expecting to swim and then I'm super stoked if I make it through.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That is the worst Tunnel beat-down I have seen (video). I've watch a lot of runs and I think Tunnel breaks down like this (for Kayakers)

1. Perfect Line - do the drop without flipping
2. Clean Line - do the drop and get flipped and flushed for a roll
3. Ugly Line - get stuck in the hole (usually on the right side) eject for an easy swim in the pool
4. Portage - I think the portage sucks compared to all other options other than a nasty hole ride. It sucks because it is a time suck, not that it is really hard, or dangerous. It just takes time.
5. Bad Line - (see video)

I'm content with the center left line, very late hip boof, flip, flush and roll.

I always go into Gore Canyon with the option to walk Gore and Tunnel. It just depends on how I am feeling on the water. Class V has a slim margin, you've got to know your skills, and how you are feeling. Listen to that little voice.

I would always recommend a Drysuit in Gore. The water is always cold, the walls are high (ie not a lot of direct sun), and the swims can be long. You should always dress for a swim not for a portage.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The beta I got on my first gore run was "when you first see tunnel you will not want to run it but run it anyways"
if you paddle with Bank and break your paddle he will make you a paddle out of rocks and a stick.
drysuits are for pansies like crazy nate!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts