Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
There was a death in Gore Canyon yesterday. The family has been notified and has arrived in Colorado. Arrangements are being made and, if the family allows, will be made public for those who wish to attend. Thank you for being respectful to family and friends while grieving.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I really don't want to be the bearer of this news or the details, but it seems there are big discrepancies.

What I know with certainty is that Beth McVay died from a fall from a cliff river left in the vicinity of Pyrite rapid below gore. I was not in Gore Canyon at all this weekend. My "facts" are from a reliable party that floated in later than her party and saw her walking out of the canyon.

Gore was at the upper end of what Beth was comfortable paddling, but she had done it many times, frequently walking Gore rapid. She apparently had difficulties above Gore rapid and hiked partway out.

Instead of heading the rest of the way out she paddled back in solo and seems to have swam possibly from Gore to Pyrite, and subsequently fell to her death scaling the steep cliffs.

As moderators we have deleted a few posts that had guesses, hypothesis, third hand info or were posted prior to confirmation that the family had been notified.

I am greatly saddened by the tragic loss of a close friend.

There will be zero tolerance from the moderators from posts that contain unfounded speculation.

RIP

[AH EDIT: MEMBERS OF THE PRESS, PLEASE SEE THIS NOTICE REGARDING COPYRIGHT PROTECTION AND USAGE OF MOUNTAINBUZZ CONTENT]

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am in contact with the family. They are looking to hold a celebration of her life Thursday or Friday (leaning towards Friday afternoon) in boulder, CO. Possibly a short service by a river. They are from out of town and dont know the area. They asked if I could try and help find a place to hold the celebration. If any of you out there know of a place in boulder which could be used please let me know. From conversations with Beth I want you all to know that she really held the kayak community close to her heart and considered us dirtbags part of her family. If you know of a spot please let me know. kayak friends will be most definitely welcome and when I hear more details about a time and date I will post it on the buzz.

Nick 412-337-5122

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sad news indeed, she was a class act and fun to be around and paddle with.

·
Registered
160 Posts
RIP Beth. We have lost an amazing person and river soul, someone who touched the lives of a great many of us. Beth, you will be sorely missed and fondly remembered. My sincere condolences to family and close friends.

Marty

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for being such a good friend to my sister and helping out with our family over the years Beth. I’ll be sure to give that house warming plant you gave me a little extra love from here on out. It was a pleasure knowing you. RIP.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I only know her through her posts but I have always enjoyed her thoughtful and intelligent posts. She will be missed.

Also like to thank those that held back posting earlier as we requested. Thank you and I apologize to those whose posts were removed earlier.

greg

·
Registered
343 Posts
Damn

Oh Beth, say it ain't so!

You will be dearly missed by us. You were such a good friend and a joy to be with on the river.

I hope you have a welcome boof-fest in that place up high. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Mike, La and Row

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Without Beth, who will demand that we boof every rock and hop into every eddy? Such sad, sad news about a beloved friend.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Prayers to family and friends. I never paddled with Beth, but I know many of you that did and ran into her often around the river and in Boulder. She helped Jeff and I this spring pull the guard rails out of the Boulder Creek buttresses. She is a whitewater sister that will surely be missed. Peace

·
Registered
176 Posts
I boated with Beth several times. She was always fired up to go paddling! The kayak community lost a good person. My thoughts are with her family and all those involved may they find peace in this tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
843 Posts
Well said everyone. Every time I paddled with Beth, we always had an awesome time. We shared a love for whitewater and vinyl records. Where ever you are beth, I hope there is an endless supply of clean, warm rapds and also an infinite supply of classic rock records as a soundtrack to your eternity. You were a star. I'm glad I caught you mid shine.

Kent

1 - 20 of 79 Posts