Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passing the winter dulldrums away by reading and I just finished reading," Anything Worth Doing" by Jo Deurbrouck. The story about Jon Baker and Clancy Reece's speed run in 1996 on the Salmon River at peak flood. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it if your at all getting bored for lack of the snow this winter or if your locked down from the latest Nor Eastern that's hitting the east coast. Anybody got any other good reads that you would recommend to pass away the winter.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Last two books I've read and really enjoyed...

Down the Great Unknown - Edward Dolnick
Empire of the Summer Moon - S.C. Gwynne

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm reading " The Emerald Mile" right now, it's fantastic. Just finished " river of doubt" really good aswell. There is a thread about all the books. There are t many good one to list.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I recently read a book entitled "Precipice" which was a good read. It's written by a fellow buzzard, and, I am hoping another one is in the works ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just ordered " Anything worth Doing", I'll report back In a few weeks. The Emerald Mile and this book have both won National Outdoor Book Awards. I searched all the books that have won this award and there are hundreds to choose from.
http://www.noba-web.org

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is beautiful. Emerald Mile is great. Anything by Ed Abbey is always worth reading a few times.

I'm currently choking down Turn Right at Machu Picchu. I do not recommend it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"The Doing of the Thing" Amazing story of a man that worked at a gas station, built a row boat and decided to float the Rogue. (He must have been a great swimmer.) Buzz went on to build more boats and solo some crazy trips. There is a plaque here on the Grand Ronde dedicated to him.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe it's just because I use to follow Harvey Butchart's routes in the canyon, but I loved the Grand Obsession by Elias Butler and Tom Myers. An amazing amount of research went into to documenting Harvey's life and the story of his hiking in the Grand Canyon for 42 years.

·
Registered
362 Posts
"Anything Worth Doing" was a great read. I met the author at a beer n pizza joint book signing in Boise. The other winter river read I liked a lot was "Canyon Solitude - A Woman's Solo River Journey Through the Grand Canyon" by Patricia McCairen.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts