Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new headlamp looking to get a good one but not high dollar, HD has some 3 for 15 bucks but they don't last that long and I like the red or green light option. Any thoughts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm a big fan of Black Diamond's Spot and Storm headlamps. The new Storm has adjustable red lights in addition to its normal white modes. It's also waterproof. It retails for $50. I'm not sure if that's high dollar to you or not. Last years model is out there for about $35.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I too am a big fan of Black Diamond headlights. I've used them underground for years and had very good luck with them. I have two Ions that are at the top of their price scale, but well worth it. I think they run around $80 and I bought them both at REI. The run time is really good on them and I can easily get an 8 hour cave trip in on a set of batteries, running on it's brightest setting.

·
Registered
536 Posts
another vote for black diamond headlamps.

petzl is another reliable headlamp i used back in the pre-LED days. i only switched to BD because they were making some really good, well designed, well priced, ultra light ones back when i was looking.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not a fan of my cheap Black Diamond. I added one to my cart on a whim, it was one their cheapest headlamps about a year ago. It does not work in temps below ~45. It turns off immediately in the cold and is extremely frustrating, the battery cover also is flimsy-avoid their most budget model!

Princeton Tech (Princeton Tec |) has always been good to me. Good warranty, good products, and made in the U.S.A (if you call jersey usa)

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Fenix has headlamps? I got their flashlight and its the best one I have ever had. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I usually get that type stuff at sierra trading Post and use their email coupons. Can't have enough headlamps with kids around.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
I am pretty happy with my Petzl. 10 years at least and still going strong. I broke my wifes and tried to order parts - the guy sent them for free and wouldn't bill me. I told him it was my fault and in no way a failure of the headlamp. He still sent it. It's the little one with three AAs. Actually my really old one still works too but it is all stretched out. My daughters were like a neck light.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Petzel I have 2 that are ten years old and one new... Work great in downpours and light last forever

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
525 Posts
I own a set of the '3 for $15' Home Depot Defiant Brand headlamps and find them to be very good value for the price.

While not mentioned on the package or website, they do have four light 'modes' 1. bright white 2. red 3. green 4. flashing red

They do not have a gasketed light or battery case, however a light dunking in fresh water or rain doesn't seem to bother them.

They are made of less durable plastic than my Petzle. It is possible to chip and or break them.

As far as durability, in a 10 year time frame I am much more likely to 'loose, lend or drop into the river' any headlamp I own.

I can buy 10 of the cheap ones for the price of the ones metioned above, which means I can afford to keep one with the kitchen box, the captians box, one in my tent, one in the car etc.

·
Registered
458 Posts
"I can buy 10 of the cheap ones for the price of..."

'Murica!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Princeton Tec. Good reliable and in the mid range price wise. Ive beat mine up through about 8 elk seasons and a couple overnight races and have had zero issues. Got most of mine off of camofire.com.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts