Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anybody has a good recommendation for a tent that you can seal up from the wind/dust. Only options I have found are 4-season tents. Those are OK but they're typically heavy, expensive, harder to set up because more poles etc, and often have a long vestibule you have to crawl through which is a pain for an old fart lime me.

Anybody come up with something that you can cover all the mesh windows and other blown dust entry points that's a good fit for river trips?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have been very happy with my eurika equinox.

Eureka Equinox 6 Tent Reviews and Ratings

Three sides of the tent have big mesh openings with zippered covers on the interior plus a mesh vet at the top. I can set it up by myself with out too much effort and it is very stable in bad weather. Big enough for two roll-o-cots for my wife and self. In the desert I usually leave off the rain fly. They call it a '6 person' tent but I think it makes a roomy tent for two plus gear.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Curious if anybody has a good recommendation for a tent that you can seal up from the wind/dust. ......
Hmmmmm.

I was on a fire on the Lincoln NF in NM, (Smokey's start was there).
Man did the wind blow.

Many had tent damage from the sand blowing into their zippers. They would have zipper races, people really like opening and closing things, and that would destroy zippers which are hard and therefore expensive to replace.

I can't give you a tent that will close up everything without suffocating those inside.
But I can recommend this for those that live in dusty windy places.

From Sierra Trading Post cheap, depending on what sale they have on today.

Clean your zipper with a wet wash cloth.

Spray with silicone or if desperate run some wax along it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use a Sierra Designs 3-4 season convertible with lots of mesh panels that can be zipped shut to keep out sand if the wind is nukin. The model I have is called the Omega, but don't think they're making that one these days.

I think other tent makers offer tents with zip-close nylon panels/mesh too. I like SD because most of their tents are white, so you can set them up without the fly and they won't get super hot, then throw on the fly when weather comes in.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Alps Taurus 4

I don't like tents with lots of mesh on river trips, especially ones that need a fly for privacy. Ater looking around a bit at REI and other sources, I bought one of these last fall. Fairly inexpensive, easy to set up, roomy, seems stout enough and I like the zippers with big teeth.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
The only time I would not recommend this tent is on a hot, still night. It is my go to tent for high wind(blowing sand), rain and snow. Seals up completely to keep out sand. Fast easy set up for one person. Ample room for one and gear or two friendly campers with very little gear inside.

REI Arete ASL 2 Tent - REI.com

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I don't like tents with lots of mesh on river trips, especially ones that need a fly for privacy. Ater looking around a bit at REI and other sources, I bought one of these last fall. Fairly inexpensive, easy to set up, roomy, seems stout enough and I like the zippers with big teeth.
STP has that or very similar tent available for $90 TODAY.
Plus they say Extra 30% Off $100+ Use Keycode SITESUN215
Buy some better MSR stakes and the silicone to get that 100 discount ?????????

(THEY Change prices daily or every other day.
So don't read this tomorrow.

ALPS Mountaineering Summit Tent - 4-Person, 3-Season - Save 35% )

Any tent with a larger zipper is a plus in my book.
Can't speak for this one but that advice by Wadeinthewater sounds worth considering.
They show 54 reviews so you should get a good idea if this fits your needs.

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
People make fun of me for being paranoid.

I pack a simple lite ripstop nylon 7 x 9 tarp.

(In addition to a variety of whichever tent I feel like taking.
Generally a Big Agness BH4)

That tarp makes a nice bit of above insurance but it also could be a windbreak.

Thunderstorms happen.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: Eureka Equinox, I have had mine over 10 years and have had no problems with it. Despite the poor review in the article I referenced.

Fabric is in good shape, bathtub floor is still water proof. I replaced the slider on the front door last year, but all the other zippers are original and still in working order. Other than seam sealing a few times I have had no repairs or maintenance.

I noticed that some of the outfitters on the Smith River, MT use this tent.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody! I should have also mentioned that I was looking for just a 2 person.

That REI Arete looks good. I was thinking having to run the poles through the sleeves (rather than clips) would take longer to set up but reviewers say it's not a problem. Plus, my wife works at REI so we get a great discount and I have had good luck with REI tents in the past.

The ALPS Taurus Outfitter also looks good. I'll look into it.

And, I appreciate the pointer toward the zipper lube. I've used zipper wax and it has never worked well, just crumbles as I try to apply it...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Lots of good advice in this thread.

Based on my experience with lots of tents on western rivers including the Grand Canyon,
if you camp on sand and a serious wind starts, no matter what expect some sand inside your tent.

Granted, some tents are better than others in sand storms, but I have not yet found the perfect tent.

The search continues!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thumbs down on the Marmot Limelight 3P. We bought ours because the footprint fits 2 Landing Pads perfectly. The Mosquito netting is too close to the ground and needs to be higher to keep out the sand dunes during wind storms.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
The REI arête is a 100% sand proof even without the rain fly on when zipped closed. all the mesh areas has a non mesh piece that zips shut when needed. A bit of advice, always zip the mesh covers open before starting to pack. Otherwise it is almost impossible to get the air out to roll it up.

For trips where your only concern is bugs or uninvited guests in your bag this bug hut is light and packs small.

REI Bug Hut Pro 2 Tent - REI.com

·
Registered
796 Posts
idk, for a desert tent I would take ventilation over sand protection any day. That's the trade off, if it's not mostly mesh it's going to be hot as hell. Plus, as I think someone said, if you are talking getting two paco pads in a tent by today's standards you pretty much have to go to the floor area of a 3-4 man. The tent I would use if I lived in the NW vs the one for southern utah are just two different animals. I think I have 4-5 tents now. Don't cheap out, snapped poles and bad quality aren't worth it in a wind storm. I'd go for something with a quick deploying full coverage fly, if you need privacy you can put it over half the tent. It's a desert trip, some sand is going to happen, it all shakes out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
desert tent in high winds

The desert the floor comes alive at night
use a cot
Sleep under a fly or shelter wing, think mega-mid or other multipoint shelter systems.

When the wind really blows, I am taking my shelter down, sleeping on the cot and covering with a light cotton or fleece sheet.
Short of a cave, hunkering in a bivy bag with a handkerchief over my mouth and face. As for tents, you need good layers. Fine sands (wyo,utah,co) will all penetrate single layer tents and even with the rain fly on, we found a mountain hardware with fine screen windows still loaded up on Colorado River sand.
So even with the most fancy tent, you're gonna sand load.
Use a bandana and hope for a cave. Wet your camp down, use those chicky pales and get the campsite wet. Less dry sand to blow, the better in camp conditions.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Desert camping will destroy a tent in short order. It will destroy an expensive tent as fast as a cheap one. Zippers are the first components to go. Setting your tent up in sand will guarantee that you track tons of sand in on your person. By the end of the trip you will have sand in places you didn't know you had places. My best suggestion for a tent is buy a cheap one and try not to use the zippers every time you go in or out of the tent. I have gone to a roll a cot and have a bivy near by if it starts to rain. Resign yourself to the sand. If it becomes more than you can handle then have another drink. Woman in general have more trouble adopting this philosophy than men. You could buy her a tent and you can get a cot and a fly. Explore your inner pre-columbian native american. Imagine how the people who left the artifacts we all like to view along the river dealt with snakes, bugs, heat and sand without cold beer.

An expensive tent that can hold two roll a cots reminds me of those old jungle movies where porters carried all the comforts of home on safari. Don't be one of those people that needs hours every morning to pack up their gear and shake the sand out of everything. Travel light and get on the river early to avoid those up stream winds. It's just sand after all and there's a hot shower waiting at the end of trip.

The advice from Kayaker to use a pale of water to wet down the area is a great tip.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts