Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok everyone, I need a little advice. I just got invited on a Grand Permit and I need your thoughts on what type of kayak is good for it. We will have several Oar Rigs to carry my junk so I just want fun, fun, fun. I can paddle class IV pretty well. Last year I had a showdown but I sold it. Any suggestions? I was thinking of a Wavesport ACE.

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
389 Posts
We just had this post a few weeks ago, didn't we?

I think the main views were to get a big comfortable boat for big water, big waves, and long days paddling.

But, someone mentioned you should just hop on the rafts during the long stretches between rapids so perhaps comfort isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm going the Grand in September and plan to take my playboat. People seem to say that you can't catch the waves unless you're in a 9' boat. You can't really boogie the same way in a boat that long, so I choose monster wavewheels and involuntary mystery moves over long front surfs in a displacement hull. I've been wondering if a Riot Hammer might not give the best of both worlds, though - you can still spin at least. What do the folks who've been there think?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Caspian when is your launch date? We leave the 21st.
I've been debating boats as well. I've got a Delirious and a Release. I'm leaning toward the Delirious. I know that I can spend a full day in it and it still throws and has decent hull speed.
But the draw backs to that era boat is no air. No matter what I do, I can't get consistent air under it.
So I guess that leaves front surfing some slower waves and throwing ends till you puke, and lots of wheels.
It is a tough trade off.
Air is new to me, but it gives that new thrill that makes you want to get better at something new. But I'm not sure about long bouts in spud boats.
I'm sticking with the middle of the road.

PS: I have a Riot Hammer if anyone wants it.... cheap.

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been debating boats as well.
Steve, want to borrow my slalom boat? You can spend all day on the front wave at President Hardings:

And you can even drink a lot of water in Crystal:

Plus it's really fast. You can even beat the rafts with it. :)

--Chris

·
Registered
374 Posts
I thought you only used those big old boats because you are afraid of planing hulls and boats under 10'.

.... I bought an old slalom boat this year. Heah, I live in Durango.

Hope all is well, cool pics, I'd be scared to be in crystal with a boat that long.

Steve.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I thought you only used those big old boats because you are afraid of planing hulls and boats under 10'.

Nope I just don't buy new equipment that often. I do have a Fly & Salto which are both under 10 if not under 9 feet. Heck even an RPM is under 10....

I'd be scared to be in crystal with a boat that long.
It produces this thing called an "Ender", it was the play move of the '80's.

Ah heck, it'll even fix any back problems you are having. :shock:

--Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
I might be heading to the grand in the June. I'm kissing ass like a mad man to try to get on with this old duffer. I was thinking about a Pyranha S8 or that other boat they have that like a longer S6. The H Series I think. I have an S6 but I think it would be too small. Can you rent a boat from Four Corners Riversports for that lenth of time? I probably can't afford a new boat and the trip. Any info on either of those boats would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Taylor

·
Registered
882 Posts
Chris, those are sweet pics! Steve, I think we're launching in the second week of September.

As for a spud, I wouldn't hesitate to bring one. A playboat was no big deal on the Upper Gauley at standard release or at 5000 cfs. It was a hoot on Westwater at 14,440 cfs (just avoid those eddyline folds). I love having the maneuverability of a playboat in big water, even if it lacks speed. When you catch an edge, you can also just turn it into a squirt or cartwheel rather than brace or roll like in a bigger boat. It's classic William Nealy merc-talk, but I don't think it's that big of a deal for a skilled hardboater.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have done the Grand four times: two rowing and two kayaking. I paddled a ZWO last time (fall 99) and it was fun squirting and what not, but way too slow to surf anything. I have always said that if given another chance, I will paddle either a glass squirt boat (fast and low volume) or a Riot Slice (a low volume Glide). That way you can squirt and surf with good hull speed. It's also nice to have some room in your boat to stash things like hiking shoes and shorts as well as your chortling supplies. Have fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts