Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out walking the bike path in Golden to look at the low water levels and saw one kayaker at rodeo hole. What do you people think about messing around at this low a level? I haven't done it less than 80 cfs thoughts or ideas about lower 80 cfs in Golden? I know not perfect kayaking but just making conversation some of us like just getting wet so don’t piss in the water if you won’t kayak in prestige conditions.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Are you asking your mommy for permission? Put on your shit and go. I've been in Golden at 60 cfs. It was more fun at 1000, but it's early season training. If someone questions you, just tell them that deepsouthpaddler runs Bear Creek at 18 cfs.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Golden at 60, confluence at 80, bear creek at 40, clear creek at 90... it all goes. Just a matter of how motivated you are.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and one man's trash (no fun falls at 40 cfs) is another man's treasure.

You can always figure out a way to get a low water workout in to get you ready for the season, and its something I do regularly.

Thanks for reminding me of bear creek Kevin, I will start checking the gauge. No fun falls at 40 cfs here I come!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'll be out there scraping with you all. I just love to paddle and I'll take whatever I can get. Paddled Golden last week and Confluence yesterday and both made me smile a time or two. That's what it's all about for me. If you don't mind a drive or some scraping, boating is year round in Colorado.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Well it figures , nice weather all week and Waterton was 320 ish ,now they dropped it to 270. 300 is my minimum but some run it down to 200. Maybe it will come up a little from low elevation snowmelt. Would like to go down there this week.

Deepsouth,Do you really run Bear at 40 :p? I have f'd around at 79 cfs. . Somebody claimed James MacFarland held the low record of 85. I have seen Leland and Andria up there at 87 and The Kid taking some youngins down at about that level. So 80's is not unheard of.I actually like it at 120 ish,

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I didn't run all of bear at 40, just no fun falls plus it's lead in. I've picked out the steeper and more channelized single rapids ( no fun falls, clear creek narrows) on a couple of easy access local runs to get some creekboat training in prior to pre runoff trips.

Agree with Tom, Connie is the best pre season workout to get in shape for Denver area boaters. Some creative low water training on bear / clear creek plus some April low water gore will get you in shape for the season

1 - 8 of 8 Posts