Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Been down there, not a whole lot going on. Not worth traveling for that's for sure. About the only thing you can do is flat spins.

·
Registered
69 Posts
'gauge' is reading around 15 cfs lower than it is.

last week it was reading 71, but you could JUST throw ends in library, so it was closer to 85-90

certainly not worth traveling too far for right now
i only have a 2 block walk, so then its worth it

·
Registered
272 Posts
i heard the gauge is screwed up from the new fish habitat that went in near the hwy6 tunnel. anyone know?

·
Registered
62 Posts
new to playboating -- starting in golden

hey there -- how friendly is the golden play park, folks welcoming of beginners? If you loose your boat do you get a slap on the wrist or encouragement? Is there a way to make the introduction easier on folks running this park all the time, i.e., not get in the way... I've been boating 1 year now and need to spend more time in the park, but hate to step on toes or piss folks off.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Overall I think it is very positive, and on most occasions will get some help grabbing gear and a little help. There can always be a jerk here or there, but it is not the norm. Coming down river you do have the right of way, but waiting in eddies until someone is done playing in the feature is good etiquette and appreciated by most.

Spend time getting to know the park and where the eddies are to slow yourself down so you can avoid bombing it straight through and you should be just fine.

·
Registered
610 Posts
hey there -- how friendly is the golden play park, folks welcoming of beginners? If you loose your boat do you get a slap on the wrist or encouragement? Is there a way to make the introduction easier on folks running this park all the time, i.e., not get in the way... I've been boating 1 year now and need to spend more time in the park, but hate to step on toes or piss folks off.
I started last year and I never had a negitive experience like your talking about. People are overwellmingly friendly, supportive and willing to give good advice. They will generally chase equipment for you as long as you don't do it 10 times. Just introduce yourself to people and ask if you can tag along with them and be honest about your skill level.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Colorado boating scene is super chill even in Golden.... Hit it up. Just make sure you get your boat out before it hits coors. I hear that is a hassle. Also if you swim at high water you might catch flak too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey man, let me know when you are going to paddle it, and I'd be happy to tag along. We can be to n00bs together. I just moved to CO, and have yet to paddle out here. I too have been paddling for about a year now. So we should be on the same level, and that is always nice. I live in boulder, and would love to hit it up when it starts running better.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If I were you I'd go down there pretty soon and just get used to the park before the water comes up and it gets more crowded. Its a nice little place but it is little so if you swim you will probably get some help because there will be people right around. But also expect to wait a LOT in eddies. Especially as a noob who will get flushed a lot you'll have to wait behind guys who are throwing down for 10x longer than you're in there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If I were you I'd go down there pretty soon and just get used to the park before the water comes up and it gets more crowded. Its a nice little place but it is little so if you swim you will probably get some help because there will be people right around. But also expect to wait a LOT in eddies. Especially as a noob who will get flushed a lot you'll have to wait behind guys who are throwing down for 10x longer than you're in there.
I think I might be demoing a WS P52 this weekend. So I think I might go there to try it out. Unless anyone has some better advice?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Be sure to use float bags if you plan on "swimming Golden," it makes rescuing boats so much easier.

Malo, given current flows, I'd head to Union with a demo, or better yet, Waterton (class III). You'll dig the p52, sweet boat.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Be sure to use float bags if you plan on "swimming Golden," it makes rescuing boats so much easier.
haha, does anyone ever plan on "swimming anything?"
Malo, given current flows, I'd head to Union with a demo, or better yet, Waterton (class III). You'll dig the p52, sweet boat.
yea, i am excited for sure. where is Waterton in relation to Boulder? I'm really unfamiliar with the area around here still.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Waterton is west on HWY 285 (Hampden Avenue in Denver) up byAspen Park, CO. From Boulder probably 1 hour closer to 1 1/2 driver without traffic

·
Registered
62 Posts
it's good

went down there this evening with a friend, and although its still low its runnable and fun, everyone was cool and cycled through the library wave. It will be much better in a couple of weeks if not next for sure. Will probably go tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I would be more worried about hitting my head then having a hard time getting out until it gets to 500 or so. There aren't many deep parts there, and they wash you into typically knee deep sections.

Went to Union the other day, and its allright. Needs more water like everywhere else, but its got some fun surfing opportunities and is plenty deep for the most part. More fun then golden at Sub 100cfs levels. Confluence is running pretty well too, and it can be fun if you can deal with the water quality. Its livable, just not the best in the world.

For Waterton, you'll definitely want to make sure there are going to be other people there, as its relatively remote and though its only class III (class IV at current levels of 900+ if you ask me), its not the kind of place that will be easy to get your boat out and there a few spots to watch out for. Great run though, especially for water hungry early season boaters.

Cheers,

JH

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well i checked out the P52 to demo, and the one guy that works at Alpine Sports was cool enough to offer to come to Golden with me despite its low flow. We are leaving Boulder at noon. Anyone else going to be there? I'll be in a brand new lime green p52, red dry top, white helmet, and a totally beat werner. Don't be affraid to say hi. I'd love to meet some more boaters.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts