Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to know if I might be ready to take the next step as a kayaker and go big this summer. My friends and I all kayak on Front Range creeks and rivers, I have a solid roll on my right, my left is a work in progress, but I've heard it is more important to have one solid side than 50-50 on both.
We boat at least once a week until summer, then boat at least three days a week. I started last year, and finished with Brown's in late July.
I want to start running bigger stuff, figure it is time. Was maybe thinking of doing the Royal Gorge this weekend, then the Numbers next weekend. Hopefully by May, I will be ready for Gore.
I would like to have some Class V down before my friends and I head to Yule Creek, and OBJ in June.
Any advice would be great, and I am all ears to hear if you think my plan is to ambitious.
Thanks.
GO BIG

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds too optimistic to me. To recap, you finished last season doing a low water brown's run, now you want to do a low water numbers and royal gorge run, and follow that up with class V in June?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds too optimistic to me. To recap, you finished last season doing a low water brown's run, now you want to do a low water numbers and royal gorge run, and follow that up with class V in June?
I was thinking about running some Class V in May! is that to quick. I want to be ready for YULE!!

That swim sucked! He should have started charging for the banks immediately and left his kayak for his friend, who was clearly a better yaker than him to get it to shore or pin it somehow for him. Would have saved him three minutes of a bitching beat down.

Thanks for the input though. I have a roll class tomorrow at the rec center. Hope I get my left side down, and maybe even a hand roll or two. Thanks.

GO BIG!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dude by no means am I a Class V boater, I'm a III+ with V+ goals. But OBJ and Yule are really gnarly and from the videos I've seen aren't just V, close to V+ in gradient and consequence.

Would you be able to rescue your buds or remain calm if this was you? https://vimeo.com/68476394

Or this?
https://vimeo.com/101260010

I could be totally wrong about my perspective of solid class V boating but from where I see it going to OBJ and Yule in your first season of V is kind of a bad idea, unless you boat every day on high water IV's and style everything in a playboat then hit the IV/V's and style everything... That's my general impression of readiness for the next class.

I want to run class V as soon as I can (I want to hit a IV/V- run by the end of summer and before I go back to school.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I'm sure another beginner will be glad to buy your gear from you once you get destroyed and quit. This sport is a progression of knowledge and skill, and you don't gain those in sufficient quantity in one season to safely run the creeks you have mentioned. Have people done it? Sure, but every paddler I've known that pushed their progression that quickly no longer boats...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey gobig, You don't sound very smart. maybe you should consider rethinking your goals for the summer. nobody is stoked about a newbie boater putting his life at risk.

·
Registered
805 Posts
When I started in May, a "few" years ago, I went straight to class IV. I was a raft guide already so I knew I was good to go! Of course it was in an advanced playboat, why learn in a boat that's easy to paddle! After I styled that shit at low water and swam it multiple times at high water I figured I was ready for class V by June. I figured at high water there'd be more cushion in the Narrows and I didn't want to wait until July anyway so I waited till it was peaking and went for it. I rolled three times in the first 100 yards and made it to an eddy on shore below the first rapid. I could've gotten out there but why! I was still in my boat so I figured I had that shit. I peeled back into the current, flipped, road the rocky road blast shoreline on my head for a bit, didn't even try to roll and then swam for a 1/2 mile with my ill-fitting helmet covering my eyes. I dragged myself out of the river with the last of my energy reserves, puked three times, and fell onto my back, splayed out over a couple sharp rocks and stayed there till I could move again. Lost my boat and my paddle and my nerves. Now I'm a raft guide for life. F$&% kayaking.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Browns and Yule are essentially the same run. Also you don't really need to know how to roll heading over there. It's so shallow that you can always push off the bottom of the river. Bring your paddle shaft float and give er http://www.shaftfloat.com

·
Registered
329 Posts
When I started in May, a "few" years ago, I went straight to class IV. I was a raft guide already so I knew I was good to go! Of course it was in an advanced playboat, why learn in a boat that's easy to paddle! After I styled that shit at low water and swam it multiple times at high water I figured I was ready for class V by June. I figured at high water there'd be more cushion in the Narrows and I didn't want to wait until July anyway so I waited till it was peaking and went for it. I rolled three times in the first 100 yards and made it to an eddy on shore below the first rapid. I could've gotten out there but why! I was still in my boat so I figured I had that shit. I peeled back into the current, flipped, road the rocky road blast shoreline on my head for a bit, didn't even try to roll and then swam for a 1/2 mile with my ill-fitting helmet covering my eyes. I dragged myself out of the river with the last of my energy reserves, puked three times, and fell onto my back, splayed out over a couple sharp rocks and stayed there till I could move again. Lost my boat and my paddle and my nerves. Now I'm a raft guide for life. F$&% kayaking.

Is this a true story?

·
Super Moderator
4,231 Posts
Is this a true story?
That's beside the point. Evan provides a beautiful cautionary tale and illustrated the horrific consequences awaiting those foolhardy, overambitious souls that overreach too soon: a raft guide for life.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi, I want to know if I might be ready to take the next step as a kayaker and go big this summer. My friends and I all kayak on Front Range creeks and rivers, I have a solid roll on my right, my left is a work in progress, but I've heard it is more important to have one solid side than 50-50 on both.
We boat at least once a week until summer, then boat at least three days a week. I started last year, and finished with Brown's in late July.
I want to start running bigger stuff, figure it is time. Was maybe thinking of doing the Royal Gorge this weekend, then the Numbers next weekend. Hopefully by May, I will be ready for Gore.
I would like to have some Class V down before my friends and I head to Yule Creek, and OBJ in June.
Any advice would be great, and I am all ears to hear if you think my plan is to ambitious.
Thanks.
GO BIG
Hi

Go slow

If you have ask if it is a good idea....IT IS NOT

Class V takes supreme confidence in yourself and those around you.

Gore in May .....man that is getting into high water...not the time for your 1st trip down gore

Work on you skills in highwater class IV this season, run the heck out of clear creek, the numbers, ect...skip browns you are beyond that now right ?

Then this fall as the water comes down, come join us for Bailey fest for your 1st taste of class V, easy portage if it is to much, lots of experience folks around to help you.

IF that goes well for you, maybe try black rock if the water level is right....see how that goes.

Then join us to kind of end the season for the gore race weekend......BUT.....Gore is a big step up......the scouts are in my view almost as dangerous as the rapids....portages are bitch there....you are committed there is no road along the side.

Now lets see how you take advice....seems like everyone here is telling you go slow, your likly still not yet ready for the runs you want to do.

Have a second fun, safe learning season, at the end if you are ready, then try some class V stuff, Bailey I think is the run to pop your class V cherry on.

Paddle on

Scott

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's beside the point. Evan provides a beautiful cautionary tale and illustrated the horrific consequences awaiting those foolhardy, overambitious souls that overreach too soon: a raft guide for life.
+1

By the way how are your rescue skills ?

Can u set a z drag without help ?

Can you set a 4 to 1 pig rig if needed without help ?

Do you know all your river knots so well you can tie them blind folded ?

Have you ever bagged a swimmer and felt the powerful pull on the rope ?

Have you ever swam a class IV at high or even mid water ?

Do yourself and others favor, this is the season to take a swr class. It will make you a safer, and therefor better boater.

You are now entering the most dangerous phase of whitewater river running.

You have had a postive experience, you are gaining confidence in yours skill....BUT......you are still ignorant of the many dangers on the river, easy for you to either underestimate the danger, fail to recognize it, or be over confident in your ability ...any one of these errors can get you killed ! If you make 2 of these errors at same time, you will now likly die, and you may take someone else with you !

Go SLOW ...listen to us ....take a swr class....run a lot of highwater class Iv...then MAYBE at the end of season, at moderate to low wate levels, try a class V.....Again...if you do all that has been advised, you MAYBE ready to end your season with a class V Bailey fest weekend !

paddle on

Scott

Paddle on

Scott

·
Registered
78 Posts
Def. go big.
I will tell u from experience, they best way to get ready for gnar class V... Watch videos. YouTube, Vimeo, whatever u can find. My first season I was doing well at class II, then I put away the boat and hit the books, err... Inter web for some serious studying. Watched all the sick vids I could, focus on the ones w the most techno, rap remixes of classic rock, they usually teach u the most. After spending all my time boning up on blog videos of gorilla lines I felt like I was ready to get back in the water. My time out of the boat paid off! Fired up yule and only swam twice, cuz a swim doesn't count if ur boat doesn't go over the next drop.
And trust me, dont waste your time w a swr course, there are plenty of videos online where u can watch pansies pull their lame buddies out of the gnar with one hand while filming with a pole cam in the other. That's the 1st rule of safety, never drop the camera during a rescue, how else will u prove it wasn't your fault your bro had to swim the big one and then get caught in the beaver dam?
As the age old saying goes... If u can watch it on YouTube, you can run it!
Go BIG.... On the buzz!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 84 Posts