Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where on the river, the Glenwood rock slide occurred? Personally, I have no intent of ever, ever running Barrel Springs, let alone Upper Death, however I am curious. I looked at Upper Death and Life After Death a couple of times this summer, just for entertainment and the awe of the power of water.

From what I've heard and seen, I get the impression the rock slide is in that area.

Has Upper Death ever been run? Is it runnable?

·
Registered
490 Posts
The rockslide occurred above (from a river perspective) Upper Death (between it and the spillway). There won't be changes to any rapids in Barrel Springs from it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
ZLSeth,

Upper Death has been run many times in a kayak. Not often though. I would guess that it gets run about 5 times a season. But this has been going on since the mid 90's so it adds up. Not many paddlers run it more than once, simply because most paddlers don't end up running it as clean as they had hoped. If it were on a creek run than it would probably be completed more, but most of the paddlers I know bring a playboat for the stuff down stream. Therefore many of the descents of the rapid have occured in play boats.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The pic is of Corey Volt. I think MattS took it this spring. And I agree with the above post. The slide does not look to have messed up anything. I heard this is from someone that drove by it so.....?

h

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
539 Posts
it's been rafted. so have the upper narrows, cheesman, ... what other hard runs have seen the dark of rubber (or plastic)? big south? the crested butte creeks?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've run it several times. Nearly died once being stupid and running it Solo. If your clean it's no problem. If your not it recirculates pretty hard. The time it almost got me my paddle broke and tore the rivets out of a crossfire. I escaped by getting deep and swimming as far as I could underwater. I'd love to see some video of someone crunching through it. Anyone have anything?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've heard that the CB creeks have been run in a short raft (at least OBJ anyway). I also heard that one of the guys broke his leg while landing in the raft off the big one. I have no names, dates, or pics, so this could just be an old raft guide story.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think LVM has shown that rafts can do lots of things they weren't ever intended to do, so it's entirely possible. Two of my friends ran Gorilla in a Topo Duo, and one of them also did Oceana in a Wavehopper - ridiculous stuff. You just never know...

p.s. i should add that both were successful runs. I hear it got ugly at Go Left and Die, though.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
A couple of years ago, when they drained Ontero resevior, we ran 11 mile canyon with a 12' Vanguard and 9' mini-mee's. (around 600csf)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts