Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Had the opportunity to paddle down the Tatshenshini & Alsek Rivers last summer and recently released a video on the experience: https://vimeo.com/130054332

This is one of the classic Alaskan/Yukon river trips, and the beauty was unimaginable. Think countless glaciers around you, bald eagles & grizzlies everywhere, and a spectacular bush plane flight out amongst knife-edged peaks. I tried to capture some of this beauty in the video & hope it inspires you!

You can read more about the trip and see pictures on my site too: Exploring the Tatshenshini & Alsek Rivers

- John

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the post. I have been in the North a lot and have constantly fallen in love with the rivers up there. Have not run one yet. I had an old Avon that had been down the Tat twice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the kind words - glad it brought back some memories, it certainly is an unforgettable place.

Also, I'm far from an expert but if anyone is planning a similar trip & has questions feel free to get in touch. I may have some good insight on logistics in the area.

- John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesomely well done. Did the plane do a 360 in there looking for the exit??? Or something.
Yup, there was some low cloud cover in there so he was looking for the best exit. He took us on a ride for sure, and it was a short enough flight to not adhere too closely to a GPS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi John, my wife and I with some friends did the Tat in 2010, you have brought back some great memories. Amazing scenery, biggest Grizzily I have ever seen and we flew back through Turnback Canyon, the scariest rapids I have ever seen
Thanks for the great video

·
Registered
124 Posts
hey john, I was just up in that area last week. I found a nice little (probable) first descent with the Dehavilland Otter i chartered. I was hoping some buzzards would be up for trip there. Can I entice anyone with a quick video of the crux...which does not show the bottom half of this rapid which is a perfect kicker into about a 10 foot drop landing in big pool before this river takes off at steep gradient again. Anybody up for it? Anybody already done it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts