Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Eagle River Watershed Council is taking a preliminary look at removing the iron litter and other debris (non-toxic) out of the Eagle River Gorge (properly named) a.k.a. Gilman Gorge. If you have any specific insight to what's in-there and where, and what is particularly nasty or clean-up observations, please reply to this post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the worst steel debris in Gilman is in Slurry Pipe Rapid; ie. the rapid immediately below the railroad bridge at the downstream end of the Gorge near Tigewon road. There are large pieces of pipe that pose a hazard to kayakers at high water, maybe some cable, etc.
KO

·
Registered
112 Posts
there's an engine block mid river a couple of miles in :) but all in all, it's not *that* bad in there, with the exception of slurry, which like ken said, has a LOT of debris (fortunately most of it is off to the sides and above waterline at low/medium flows).

it should be runnable soon so next run i'll pay more attention to the sh*t in the river and where it is.

a clean-up is a GREAT IDEA!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gillman Clean up

I vote they keep the canyon just the way it is. Maybe get rid of the cars and the concreate pipe but leave the rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts